Sign in to follow this  
Andre3000

Cassette aux adapter

Im wanting to use a cassette adapter in my e30 but the head unit keeps flipping sides automatically? Is there anyway i can stop this? The head unit is the stock BMW audio system thingymabob.

post-2821-1235952158_thumb.jpg

An FM transmitter on your ipod would be easier to use than trying to mod your headunit. (And most likely better quality as well)

Same thing happened with mine, fixed it by putting the tape in the other way around. The tape had a bit in it to run the cord down to. Hope this makes sense and helps.

E: they are so much better than fooling around with fm transmitters, so hope you get this sorted.

Edited by antony

An FM transmitter on your ipod would be easier to use than trying to mod your headunit. (And most likely better quality as well)

I have used both before and admit that the sound quality is not perfect but it beats all the hassle you go through changing station all the time etc, and i think the cassettes are alot cleaner looking.

What happens when the head unit 'flips'?

I wouldve thought the adapter could play your ipod music regardless of which side was playing. Does it stop playing altogether ?

FM transmitters are horrible things. Ive yet to meet one that gave anywhere near acceptable quality unfortunately.

Same thing happened with mine, fixed it by putting the tape in the other way around. The tape had a bit in it to run the cord down to. Hope this makes sense and helps.

E: they are so much better than fooling around with fm transmitters, so hope you get this sorted.

You had the same head unit as me? Also wat brand cassette adapter did you use?

Cheers

You had the same head unit as me? Also wat brand cassette adapter did you use?

Cheers

No, mines a Sony one, but wouldn't be much newer. My adapter was from smiths city, came in a yellow packet (sorry, that's all I can remember).

I have no idea why it worked on one side and not the other, but when it was on the other side it didn't play any music at all.

What happens when the head unit 'flips'?

Yeah it works on both sides but the sound jerks on and off as it switches sides. You get about half a second of music then a second of silence then another half a second of music etc

Yeah it works on both sides but the sound jerks on and off as it switches sides. You get about half a second of music then a second of silence then another half a second of music etc

Tried a cassette adaptor but the sound quality was so s**t it drove me crazy.

Loaded all my i-pod music onto cds--not perfect but I'm now a happy man!!.

Some cassette players used to sense if only one of the spindles was turning (ie if the trailing spindle wasn't turning) so used to flip the other way in case the tape was being stretched, or had broken or to help wind up any slack evenly without chewing your tape.

The little adapters you are using only spin the powered spindle causing the problem you experience. There's no way around it AFAIK. What the hell are you using a cassette deck for anyway? Surely by now that is obsolete technology. There are plenty of factory-looking cd players that fit the e30 and you could pick one up for $30-40 odd.

Also, how can a plug-in I trip with no cables be messier than a cable sticking out the front of your cassette deck?

Edited by bravo

pull the head unit apart and cut the wire that flips the head?

I have to agree about the FM Transmitters and even the I-Trip, Got one for dad too use in his car and the sound quality was not up to scratch at all...

The one I have works fine? Upgrade the car aerial?

some adaptors dont have wheels inside to trick the tape deck to think its actually playing tape . so it thinks its at the end because the wheels dont move . try another one . or how about making a adaptor cable to go into the multi cd changer input socket in the back . will sound heaps better . easy enough to do .

notice the button cd/aux input????

i also have heaps of bmw/sony decks etc .

which could be moded to except ipod in directly .

some adaptors dont have wheels inside to trick the tape deck to think its actually playing tape . so it thinks its at the end because the wheels dont move . try another one . or how about making a adaptor cable to go into the multi cd changer input socket in the back . will sound heaps better . easy enough to do .

This sounds like a good option - I wouldn't be too concerned about modifying a used stereo, but I wouldn't want to tear into a brand new one. The iTrips I have used have been OK, but not as good as real radio let alone a CD.

Some cassette players used to sense if only one of the spindles was turning (ie if the trailing spindle wasn't turning) so used to flip the other way in case the tape was being stretched, or had broken or to help wind up any slack evenly without chewing your tape.

The little adapters you are using only spin the powered spindle causing the problem you experience. There's no way around it AFAIK. What the hell are you using a cassette deck for anyway? Surely by now that is obsolete technology. There are plenty of factory-looking cd players that fit the e30 and you could pick one up for $30-40 odd.

Also, how can a plug-in I trip with no cables be messier than a cable sticking out the front of your cassette deck?

The itrip supports itself on the cig lighter and its not very stable, and every time i go round a corner to the right i hit it with my knee which turns it off!! Its messy cos its huge and white and sticks out like a sore thumb.

How would i go about connecting a cable to the cd changer input?

How would i go about connecting a cable to the cd changer input?

need to buy a multi pin plug and figuire out which is the audio wires and which is the remote turn on wire if it need it .

bring you car aroud some time if you like.

021433600. might have something here . pull the stereo out and get a photo of the socket in the back

need to buy a multi pin plug and figuire out which is the audio wires and which is the remote turn on wire if it need it .

bring you car aroud some time if you like.

021433600. might have something here . pull the stereo out and get a photo of the socket in the back

Sweet il do that 2nite.