Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

E39 540I Manual

Thats one to watch alright. Paul is it the one you were looking at last year?

I bet there a few members who wont be thanking you for publicising that driftit :)

Edited by tastic

Hahaha. Yes I have no doubt just eliminated any chance of getting a good deal on it.

Nice.. Bit of a tidy up and some refresh colour coding and lights and It would be awesome.

It’s an E39, if you didn’t expect a few issues you’d be mad.

If one wanted a manual and was prepared to fix a few things (parts are abundant) it could be a bargain.

It’s an E39, if you didn’t expect a few issues you’d be mad.

If one wanted a manual and was prepared to fix a few things (parts are abundant) it could be a bargain.

Let me put it another way then. It has a list of error codes as long as your arm and there is no-one down there who can investigate them properly, let alone confirm what any of them mean. You really will be buying the car blind unless you get down there and drive it to a BMW dealer yourself.

There was plenty of interest in it last time and it still didnt sell at 12k. If it needs a new gearbox you can bank on 6k at the very least.

Cristal clear :P

Good points, it’s a manual V8 with a M3 steering wheel and has leather and a cool phone with a cord.

Bad points, the kit and wheels are both imitation, the boot sits funny, the number plate is ominous.

Edited by Apex

Yeah, that car was a bit of a mess IIRC

Some quotes from the last thread

I think you made the right decision on that car. It was not the tidiest example and looked like it was quite tired for the mileage etc. The wear on the body looked like something that had done 300,000km. In the end fate has dealt its hand and you can definitely do better. Happy to help a fellow member

I dont mind problems(in fact i knew it had a few) but i like to know (mostly) what i am in for.The local dealer said(and i quote) "you might make a $5000 guess"

Original thread

This is the same car i was looking at.It was in CHCH but he moved to invercargill,and you can see he is still in Invercargill.I beleive (some) of the pics are of the car at another time.He was good to deal with,but the car had an undiagnosed miss at idle.He took it to SMG,and even with the help of the scanner and several discussuins with BMWNZ they couldnt figure out what was wrong.TO BE FAIR THIS MAY HAVE NOW BEEN FIXED.

I enquired about this car last time it was for sale, so BMWNZ advised it had (may have been fixed now who knows) issues with the Transmission plus other things they couldnt pick up faults with. Its also Singapore and the wheels are cheap imitations. Wouldnt touch it. Although the 6 speed is nice :D

Could have just said "Singapore" and I would have deleted the thread.

I enquired about this car last time it was for sale, so BMWNZ advised it had (may have been fixed now who knows) issues with the Transmission plus other things they couldnt pick up faults with. Its also Singapore and the wheels are cheap imitations. Wouldnt touch it. Although the 6 speed is nice :D

how did BMWNZ know about the car?It was a chch/invercargill car.Its a South african car not singapore and the first NZ owner looked after in Invercargill

how did BMWNZ know about the car?It was a chch/invercargill car.Its a South african car not singapore and the first NZ owner looked after in Invercargill

Sorry - I knew where it came from started with a S and Singapore came to mind. I know service managers from the dealers here and they enquired for me. They only mentioned it came into CHCH and listed the visits and needs

Edited by entscheidend

Sorry - I knew where it came from started with a S and Singapore came to mind. I know service managers from the dealers here and they enquired for me. They only mentioned it came into CHCH and listed the visits and needs

thats interesting info though....

Been withdrawn by admin.

Yeah wonder if it is sold already. Or maybe he spotted this not so nice thread.

Yeah wonder if it is sold already. Or maybe he spotted this not so nice thread.

No-one has said dont buy it, just to be careful thats all.

Anyone who is going to look at the car will find out whether he has fixed the issues or not simply by starting it up.

If the car was in the North Island I would still have gone to see it. But that is a massive distance to go for a car that has had issues at one time or another.

he came to me directly after he had issues with Trademe.I have decided not to pursue it,as Invercargill is too far from Welly too and they dont have anyone i know to give the thing a decent check.Dont forget we do have some Invercargill members tho.

Edited by kiwi535

I wish I wasn't a student and I could afford that.

Edited by E30ONP

An hour or so to go and its hit reserve....is anyone on here interested in it?

I have to be honest if I had 10k lying around I would be, but I dont and so Im not. There are problems with it but its possible someone might get lucky and it may only take a couple of grand to fix it up. If so it could be a bargain.

Its a big risk though.

Edited by Penry