Sign in to follow this  
red89mx

E46 Xeon low beam - too dim?

:mellow:

Just finished a 2,000 k North island trip in my 01 330i M-sport, much of this at night.

The high beams are good and retina ripping on the reflective signs, BUT the Xeon low beam unit whilst a nice white do not give out enough light when cruising at 100 - 120km/h in rural/unlit areas.

Is this normal? Anyone else notice this or just my eye's.

Options to investigate.... - possibly the light cover (looks a little burred) or the Xeon lenses.

Looking for suggestions.

Cheers

Alan

thats true. i want ur car. give me finance?

Are they factory?

If the lenses are blurred it can effect things. Try some plastic polish, Meguiars do a good one called Plastic X, it’s in a white bottle.

If that doesn’t work you can restore them with wet and dry 600,1000,1500 and 2000 grit sand paper, followed up with a good polish it’s tricky but it works.

Lol all you want, that’s the trick to getting them like new ;)

What heat gas bulbs you running ? How new are they ? need tech info!

The gas in the HID bulb only lasts around 2 years life span of normal use and can dull over that time.

If your running 8000k they are quite dim yes. I would look into 6000k ones (white/purple). They are not cheap .. you looking around 250-300 for two.

Also have a look at your height the self levelling system maybe on the blink and just dropped them too far if they are OEM .. if they are aftermarket .. re-adjust them :)

if after market you have have a damaged back focusing plate .. is the beam level line straight and sharp ?

Lots of things cause this problem.

Quite worrying if they're HIDs and considered too dim. Can you post pictures of your headlights so we can assess what could be causing the problem? Both inside (behind the headlight) and outside (showing the lenses) would be good.

Happy to post some pics of the lights.

Still new to forum and have not got email settings correct yet and need to find way to find my own post easily. Hence the late reply.

Not sure when bulbs last replaced as only picked up Nov 08 as a fresh Jap import. Suspect no aftermarket bits as everything else seems standard. When the lights are turned on to dip (or park) there is a self leveling action and the park dispalys a reflected type of "Angel eye". Spent some time reading and reviewing posts/pics to determine that the low beam were likely to be projector Xeons.

I note the Wikipedia headlamp section suggests a HID/Xeon service life is 2,000 hours (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp) that is quite a bit of night driving.

This is my first E46, previously a 96 E36 328i but got sick of the creaking seats (tried all the posted fixes short of replacement with msport seats....and that was close) and the endless list of minor electrical fixups (Expecting the E46 to throw a few as well - see door actuators are on the common list). Generally enjoy the more fluid pickup and handling of the 330 Msport...pity the steering is a little over assisted for my liking.

Just completed the Alpine MP3 CD changer conversion (using good instructions from http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_alpine.shtml)....and no I do not have an ipod but will investigate extending the soundgate link for ipod integration at a future time. Currently awaiting the arrival of a modulite 119186 from the US to create trailer wiring for the new bestbars towbar - hopefully cheaper than the local quotes I got. Suspect these are topics for other posts.

Currently awaiting the arrival of a modulite 119186 from the US to create trailer wiring for the new bestbars towbar - hopefully cheaper than the local quotes I got. Suspect these are topics for other posts.

I got the original BMW trailer wiring module on TradeMe for $60, complete with E46 wiring loom. I fitted it to my E39 (module is the same)

So don't discount local sources for bargains :-)

Is it a bluish light ? or white/purple ?

Uploaded photos - getting dark by time I am home. Light is white. Hope they come out ok.

Tried removing for shot of back, but effort only seemed to remove front cover , left for another day after I suss out how to remove. Notice car has warning sticker near driver side light under bonnet suggesting some danger from lights ....but then again whole world has gone PC mad.

Jocen - good price on the E46 coupling. Was quoted over $500 for the BMW new part and > $200 for an after market relay. The Modulite should be circa $100 with freight (bringing 2 in - one for a mate with Pirus)

post-4003-1236661445_thumb.jpg

post-4003-1236661468_thumb.jpg

Just to clarify, are you trying to remove the entire lamp? If so - not necessary, just get a shot of the back of the lamps from the engine bay, just want to see if the factory ballasts are in there and if things look normal.

From your pics I can see you have factory Bosch xenon lamps so that's good. And the lenses look fine. Get us a pic of the car shining the light onto a wall or garage door, say 3m away. I'm guessing the lights need to be re-adjusted to aim higher.

On an E39 a common problem is that the adjusters inside the headlight which hold the projector's vertical and horizontal position break and the projector points towards the ground. But I'm not sure if the E46 uses the same design.

Notice car has warning sticker near driver side light under bonnet suggesting some danger from lights ....but then again whole world has gone PC mad.

Yeah - that would be the high voltage (up to 20,000 volts on some models) at ballast startup. Not so PC mad if you have an electricity allergy....

Try an auto electrician that has a good beamsetter - they can measure not only the position of the beam but also the intensity. It isn't an absolute measurement (as you don't know the factory values), but will give you an idea if there really is a problem or not.

On an E39 a common problem is that the adjusters inside the headlight which hold the projector's vertical and horizontal position break and the projector points towards the ground. But I'm not sure if the E46 uses the same design.

I think that was a Hella issue (ahem...) - unlikely that the Bosch ones used the same mechanism Yuen.

Ok guys will get further picture from inside engine bay (during daylight) and a shot of the beams on a garage door at night (need to find someone with a level drive).

Overall the low beam is a nice "White" light....it just does not project far enough, seems as though I am out driving it. Admittedly my eyes are a bit dodgy after early 90's refractive surgery. But missus complains as well and uses the high beam plenty.

Off topic - was about to sell off the Bavauto.com water pump (Part # : 11 51 1 744 243) that I had stashed away for the E36 328 and was pleasantly surprised to find it also fits the E46 330.

Thanks for the replies.

I think that was a Hella issue (ahem...) - unlikely that the Bosch ones used the same mechanism Yuen.

Good point. I'd forgotten that they're different brands.

Cool sounds like you just need to replace the OE xenon bulbs (5300k heat). My 8000k bulb bit the dust after two years of use. When I put the new bulbs in they were so much brighter, So xenon gas does loose its 'zing' so to speak.

http://www.umnitza.com/product_info.php?cP...products_id=100

$35 + shipping here.

Thanks Hybrid

Will look at this- have you purchased of these guys?

Is there no way to adjust the auto-leveling system to get a little more height? As the light seems ok, just does not project far enough.

Is there no way to adjust the auto-leveling system to get a little more height? As the light seems ok, just does not project far enough.

Umnitza is a very high quality brand.

I had a similar problem to yours, albeit mine with halogen bulbs. Took it into an AA center and they re-adjusted the lights for free and now they're a thousand time better than before. I would suggest taking it in, even if it doesn't fix the problem then you know where to go from there.

Umnitza is a very high quality brand.

That seems to depends on who you ask Nick. They get their fair share of complaints too.

You should be able to adjust them manually from the engine bay - there will be controls on each headlight to adjust the projector vertically and horizontally. But first look for screws that mount the headlight to the car and use them for the bigger adjustments if the projection is way off, as the ones on the headlight are for finer adjustments.

Some resources for you:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=254595

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

That seems to depends on who you ask Nick. They get their fair share of complaints too.

If it was me, I would stick with the known brand names (like Philips or Osram). They are superior quality and tend to perform a bit better than the cheap no-name brands. Course, you pay more for those big names but I personally think the value is better.

I worked in OEM automotive lighting for 7 years, and never came across Umnitza as a competitor - which suggests to me that they don't meet the quality requirements of the car companies (they are bound to be cheaper and everyone wants to save $$).

My 2c.

Edited by elmarco

I worked in OEM automotive lighting for 7 years, and never came across Umnitza as a competitor - which suggests to me that they don't meet the quality requirements of the car companies (they are bound to be cheaper and everyone wants to save $$).

My 2c.

This would be because they are from the states and also a retailer .. not a manufacture ?

Thanks Hybrid

I have and yes they are good. Been around a long time and have serviced the e46fanatics community for as long as I've owned my e46. (5 years)

If your not happy go with someone else my point is grab some xenon bulbs and try them out. Just make sure also when you adjust your lights your masking line isnt going to be shining in on coming drivers faces. Nothing pissing other motorists off more than ill set xenons as the focus point of the light is a lot sharper (due to the projector globe) and its pretty intense.

I run 8000k xenons (blue) they are a lot dimmer than OEM xenon due to 8000k lacking lummins compared to lower heat bulbs.

Ill try find a graph to explain the whole thing.

Found it :)

4300k is normal OEM colour range. It offers the best Lummins. This is actually in most part due your eyes picking up yellow/orange light a lot better than say white/blue (8000k). 6000k white/purple offer the best compromise between colour vs lummin output.

Posted Image

This would be because they are from the states and also a retailer .. not a manufacture ?

I worked worldwide - European, US and Australian vehicle projects (working from both NZ and in Europe) and never came across that name in either OEM or aftermarket (even at shows). I suspect you are correct that they are just a retailer - if so, why not just purchase the item from the NZ distributor like Hella? At least you have backup service if it goes pear shaped, and you can get them easily.... Just playing the devils advocate here.

I have and yes they are good. Been around a long time and have serviced the e46fanatics community for as long as Ive owned my e46. (5 years)

If your not happy go with someone else my point is grab some xenon bulbs and try them out. Just make sure also when you adjust your lights your masking line isnt going to be shining in on coming drivers faces. Nothing pissing other motorists off more than ill set xenons as the focus point of the light is a lot sharper (due to the projector globe) and its pretty intense.

I run 8000k xenons (blue) they are a lot dimmer than OEM xenon due to 8000k lacking lummins compared to lower heat bulbs.

Ill try find a graph to explain the whole thing.

Just to clarify, when you refer to heat, you actually mean colour temperature (based on the CIE colour locus - confusingly, this is also measured in Kelvins, K). The actual temperature (in degrees C or Kelvins to the scientists & engineers) is the same for these bulbs.

The lower colour temperatures have more yellow and red constituents and are closer to Halogen bulbs (which is what Hybrid has said above). The higher colour temps are more baised to the blue and purple spectrum - and the more UV they produce (which can damage/yellow polycarbonate lenses). These links may be of assistance:

http://www.hella.co.nz/?t=280 and http://www.hella.co.nz/?t=284

I still suggest taking the car to an auto sparky if you haven't already done so - they will be able to give you a better idea if there really is a problem, and any potential costs. They may even swap a burner out as a quick test on the beamsetter for you if you ask nicely :) .

Good luck sorting it out.