Sign in to follow this  
ACS E46

(D) German Euro Plates

I was cruising down the southern m'way in my Bimmer the other day and was followed by a marked Police car, who eventually pulled me over just before Greenlane. I wasn't speeding, had a Wof & Reg, Full licence, sober etc etc. So I thought I was ok.

The officer then asked me if i knew why i got pulled over. I said, "no", with curiosity as to what i may be in store for. He said that your German (D) plates are illegal and you cannot use them. At this point i was kicking myself cause i have heard rumors about these plates not being legit. When i asked people in the past it seemed to be a grey area in discussion and I have seen many of these German (D) plates on the road myself so i thought its no biggie. My mum has had one on her Merc for a couple of years now. I've had mine ever since i bought my car for over 4 years, passed WOF's, been pulled over a couple of times and nothing has been said about my plates. Till the other day.... :(

This resulted in a $200 ticket and a nice little convoy with the police back to my place to get the plates removed (meaning I couldnt drive due to not having any replacement plates). I argued the fact that i bought the car with these plates, I didn't know etc etc and would remove them as soon as i got home but I guess there's only so much you can say...I understand the whole "not being legit plates" and all, but surely a warning first maybe?

The plates are no different in terms of materials or size as to those of the EURO plates you can purchase from Personalized Plates.com. It just has a blue rectangle on the left with a white D instead of a blue rectangle and NZ symbol with stars. The font on the German plates are slightly different to those of the NZ made ones but hardly noticable and they can be seen just as clearly.

Do personalised plates have a deal with the NZ Police? If you look on the personalised Plates website you can even get logo EURO plates which means no NZ symbol and you can have anything you want on it! For a price ofcourse, but does that mean if i designed a "D" logo on it with a blue rectangle like my plates now, and bought it from PP, it would be ok?? :unsure:

Im not trying to argue the law, because I know now that its pretty much set in stone now, but it just seems a little weird that just becase of a small "D", its immediately illegal. Some of you i'm sure already know all this but for those like me who dont, just a heads-up to any of you out there that has those D German plates still on their car.

Thats my rant for the week. Be good to discuss with people if they want to put in their thoughts. Again, i know ultimately I am at fault. It would be good to get other people's perspectives on this matter ;)

post-926-1236999865_thumb.jpg

post-926-1236999858_thumb.jpg

Edited by D@nz

AFAIK this was common knowledge.

Personalized Plates have a monopoly in NZ. Any plates not made by Lisensys are illegal.

Sounds as though the officer was pretty harsh on you. No warning, and following you home, bit excessive IMO.

Sorry to hear that man, everything I hear about the "non legit" G plates seems to come from Auckland, the Police up those ways must be more informed than the ones down here, I've been running plates like yours for about 3 1/2 years and never been questioned, although I rarely if ever get stopped.

I did however get a long letter a year or so ago from LTSA outlining the fact someone (probably a parking warden) had dobbed me in for wearing the the wrong plates - letter instructed me to remove or face fines, but letter soon found its way into the rubbish ...

Edited by BEEMIR

It has nothing to do with the 'D' or NZ Symbol etc it the font that is the problem.

It has nothing to do with the 'D' or NZ Symbol etc it the font that is the problem.

I see, can you elaborate on the "font" problem and how that affects everything?

The theory is that the new number plate camera's won't be able to read the different font, but this isn't why they're illegal.

IIRC isn't to do with speed cameras not being able to pick the font up?

Which is likely in my situation :huh:

Although the new mobile digital cameras might not have so much trouble reading the font (digital=more intelligent?)

Hey, I dont make the rules!

Thats the issue that the LTSA, Police have. take it up with them if you have a problem.

LTSA makes the rules, The police enforces the rules.

Sounds like the LTSA have cottoned on to these plates and have informed the police. The police come down hard straight away to get the message across. And it is re 1st post.

Hey, I dont make the rules!

Thats the issue that the LTSA, Police have. take it up with them if you have a problem.

Hey calm down mate. It was a simple question and i dont have a problem. Like i said in my post, its a discussion not an argument. Just wanted to get people's thoughts/perspectives.

The theory is that the new number plate camera's won't be able to read the different font, but this isn't why they're illegal.

This is a good answer. It makes sense :)

But yes (Dgb), i guess they will come down hard from now on...

Edited by D@nz

I would say that they are illegal because anybody can buy these plates and put them on their car.

What if someone had a black BMW with the real plates "ABC123" and someone does a illegal act and drives off in a black BMW with imported plates "ABC123".

I would say that they are illegal because anybody can buy these plates and put them on their car.

What if someone had a black BMW with the real plates "ABC123" and someone does a illegal act and drives off in a black BMW with imported plates "ABC123".

Yeah i totally agree with that one. I was just thinking something similar a moment ago.... Hmm oh well. Its just my luck that the cops were that hard on me :P I guess they have to start somewhere.

Its a PPL and Police thing, both parties make money from our situation.

If it is illegal to have plates from another company besides PPL, the police will take the opportunity to fine. And PPL will not disagree as they will sell their 'real' europlates (aka 2 pieces of aluminium and a sticker) for $400.

Sign this, its a start...

I know you can get replica NZ Euro Plates - I wonder if the cops could spot the difference.... Apparently the zero doesn't have a line through it which would be the most obvious giveaway, apart from the slight font differences...

I know you can get replica NZ Euro Plates - I wonder if the cops could spot the difference.... Apparently the zero doesn't have a line through it which would be the most obvious giveaway, apart from the slight font differences...

The 4's have a gap in them too. NZ plates don't IIRC.

theres a operation being run by the police atm the moment targeting europlates. espically the motorways units

The only difference between imported and genuine euro plates is the alternative symbol instead of nz, and the holographic silver ferns.

Now if someone could replicate these little beauties in sticker form they'd be away laughing (to the bank that is :D)

The only difference between imported and genuine euro plates is the alternative symbol instead of nz, and the holographic silver ferns.

Now if someone could replicate these little beauties in sticker form they'd be away laughing (to the bank that is :D)

:wacko: Have you not read the above posts? There is a bit more of a difference than the little symbols on the left.

Starting with the font!

Yeah but your not exactly the smartest cookie in the batch if you think you can get away with the german D symbol.

I can almost garantee that police would not look twice your imported plate if it had an nz symbol on it.

How ridiculous is it that cops go around assessing the font of your number plate.

On another point. What are the regulations on painted on regos?

its a font thing.And i think its more than just speed cameras,i think it is also to do with upcoming things like camera reading plates for tolls and perhaps other things.

The police are the AGENTS for the government ,they dont make the rules.They try to enforce them.No matter how stupid

Yeah but your not exactly the smartest cookie in the batch if you think you can get away with the german D symbol.

I can almost garantee that police would not look twice your imported plate if it had an nz symbol on it.

How ridiculous is it that cops go around assessing the font of your number plate.

On another point. What are the regulations on painted on regos?

Fail.

The police have just trialled a car mounted plate reader for detecting stolen cars, etc as they drive by. If said reader can't process the plate b/c of font you will probably see red and blues behind you.

The font is unfortunately easy to pick out especially with 4's and 0's in the plate, so if a bored officer of the law were behind you at the lights I have no doubt they'd pull you over. There are very good replica's available from websites with the NZ symbol, but they are unable to copy the font for legal reasons.

What makes it even more of a monopoly is the kind of plate is part of the registration that is held with Plates NZ. So even if you are running a standard plate when the number is registered as Euro plate, you can technically be fined.

Painted on or sticker rego's are also illegal. Read the posts above you and the other threads on the forum. Anything but plates issued by licensys is illegal.

All of the above is from my queries to a Licensys representative over the phone when I wanted to replace my P-Plate.

This is a good answer. It makes sense :)

But yes (Dgb), i guess they will come down hard from now on...

If that's the truth of it how come the old pre 87 black plates are still legal?

If that's the truth of it how come the old pre 87 black plates are still legal?

They can't force you to change your plates, so all fonts that NZ has released can be read (in theory). The reading is an excuse for Plates NZ to reinforce their monopoly.

I'd love for my information to be wrong, because I want a Euro plate. But I don't want to pay $299 for something I already own.

Just don't run a europlate on the back of the car as it's more likely to get picked up from behind whereas on the front it's fairly difficult to pick up by oncoming traffic.