Sign in to follow this  
mattgoldsbro

E36 Loweing springs

Hi i am thinking of lowering my 96 328 motorsport and wondering what springs others have used ,as i am not too keen to have guards rolled etc. I have 18x8 wheels 225/40 tyres. Looks pretty good on factory motorsport springs but would like ride to be stiffened up and the front come down a bit .Any help especially pics would be much appreciated ,Thanks.

post-4120-1237178813_thumb.jpg

Looks pretty good to me.

At present mine is sitting about the same height as yours, maybe a touch lower and I have low springs in.

I previously had superlows but 1/ I scraped the sh*t out of everything 2/ It failed a warrent for being too low 3/ The rear springs were not captive. I got rid of them quick smart.

Hey mate

Welcome to Bimmersport! Did you get those wheels through us? If you are in Auckland we can lower it for $399 for you

cheers

Looks good to me too, my car is the same ride height as yours, but if you do want lower, I have some rear springs you can buy... :rolleyes:

post-29-1237265525_thumb.jpg

You need to work this one through carefully

The wheels and tyres you have are between 20 and 40 mm bigger in diameter than the standard options of the day which means the car sits higher by 10 to 10 mm to start with and the tyres fill the guards more.

You need to lower it just to get back to standard height but then you will end up with more tyre in the guard which may rub -

If you lower further to actually lower the car below standard ride height you will end up with a bigger risk of rubbing plus the suspension geometry will be sub optimal.

good luck

What rubbish :P The wheels and tyres are probably 10-15mm taller in overall diameter than OE. The offset is high enough to sit the wheels inside the car without any hint of rub. Even with a good set of lowered springs in there that will drop the car another 40mm there will be no rubbing, even with the wheels on full lock and a car full of people. Having done over 100 E36's on various size wheels and various brand lowering springs I can safely say that with that size wheel and tyre combo you can safely lower your car without any issues!

PS A set of lowering springs will probably drop your car by about another 25mm

Edited by zenetti

Ive always been a bilstein fanboy.

Heres mine on some Bilstein springs and 17x8" rims. Tyres are 225/45 I did have to have the rear guards rolled with these rims as they sat that little bit further out, but its such a simple thing I just did it myself.

I think its a staunch height. Lowered her 40mm lower than motorsport springs IIRC. Thanks again to PBoy that got it all done. He still is the lowering king

Posted Image

Posted Image

I can never resist snapping a pic when the back wheel tucks like this. I love it so much!

Posted Image

Edited by Pjay

What rubbish :P The wheels and tyres are probably 10-15mm taller in overall diameter than OE. The offset is high enough to sit the wheels inside the car without any hint of rub. Even with a good set of lowered springs in there that will drop the car another 40mm there will be no rubbing, even with the wheels on full lock and a car full of people. Having done over 100 E36's on various size wheels and various brand lowering springs I can safely say that with that size wheel and tyre combo you can safely lower your car without any issues!

PS A set of lowering springs will probably drop your car by about another 25mm

Thanks will keep this in mind you are correct about size difference, i checked this thoroughly before i purchased new tyres and from factory m/sport 225/50/R16 my new tyres are about 10mm larger in diameter.

Cheers !!

Hey mate

Welcome to Bimmersport! Did you get those wheels through us? If you are in Auckland we can lower it for $399 for you

cheers

Yes i certainly did , very happy with wheels and would definitely recommend you guys to others. Thanks anyway but in ChCh .

Cheers

have some jamex springs still in a parts car .

Looks good how it is mate, mines lowered on Bilstein adjustables with Tein springs, rear has AC Schnitzer springs and damper control shocks. Pretty good setup, very stiff though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

P.S Peter your car looks mint, needs a 328 spoiler though.