Sign in to follow this  
OSiRiS

Something smells when car is warmed up

Smells like, something burning?

Can't figure out what it is.

Can't smell it when the car is off (obviously), or when it is cold. But when it is warmed up it smells like, ummm, something hot burning?

There is no leaking fluids, no smoke and most importantly no fire.

Car drives completely fine.

I noticed though it started happening about 2 weeks ago, when I was rushed to the Auckland Airport by my driver as I was a bees d*ck close to missing a flight. Car went good (surprisingly the first time it was pushed HARD :P) and still goes great, just smells funny :unsure:

I have noticed my mums 1 series doing the same every now and then....... but sorry no idea why either!

Model? 330i?

If it's the same engine used in the late e39 530i, it has a stupidly weak rocker-cover gasket, which cracks and dribbles oil onto some hot shield causing a burning oil smell.

Model? 330i?

If it's the same engine used in the late e39 530i, it has a stupidly weak rocker-cover gasket, which cracks and dribbles oil onto some hot shield causing a burning oil smell.

E46 328ci

You'll have to be more specific about the smell.... What does the burning smell like? Burning wires, rubber, oil or BBQ'd possum etc.

If it smells like rotten eggs after driving it hard...thats normal, its just the cats working. I just checked the inspection sheet we did for you and at the time there were no signs of any engine oil leaks. However we did find a slight leak from the cooling system. If you have concerns I suggest you let me have a look at it. I also suggest that the cooling system gets attended to before it gives you any grief.

BTW. You might have picked up a plastic bag on the exhaust system...we get that often

Edited by *Glenn*

If it smells like rotten eggs after driving it hard...thats normal, its just the cats working. I just checked the inspection sheet we did for you and at the time there were no signs of any engine oil leaks. However we did find a slight leak from the cooling system. If you have concerns I suggest you let me have a look at it. I also suggest that the cooling system gets attended to before it gives you any grief.

BTW. You might have picked up a plastic bag on the exhaust system...we get that often

Thanks Glenn :) I will arrange to have it with you as soon as I get a spare car.

This man is on the money as usual B)

Crawled under there this morning, yup, plastic bag :P