Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

Exhaust Manifold Studs

Hey all, while my heads off my M50 I decided to remove all the old exhaust manifold studs and replace them with new ones. I have got most of them out except for 3 of them. I have tried CRC, vice grips and putting two nuts on the stud and undoing the inner one... they just wont budge!

I do not want to snap them off in the head, anyone got some fancy tricks up their sleeve? I thought of even welding somthing to them and undoing them that way..

Luke

CRC Penetrate?

Let it soak for ages first, several sprays then have a yo

CRC Penetrate?

Let it soak for ages first, several sprays then have a yo

Think ive got a product in the gunk range at work thats the same as a penetrate I will give that a go, im leaving the head overnight for the crc to work its magic and see if that works shot bramz

Otherwise a pair of stilsons tends to grip better than vicegrips ;)

A big f**k off plumbers wrench :P

Ahah! I see hmm im worried the studs will snap off in the thread tho.. hmm <_<

A big f**k off plumbers wrench :P

Or if it's just bolts a small-medium one will do :P

Also used them on my strut caps, they are awesome, no other way to describe

We used freeze spray on the S13's turbo mani, worked ok if you can isolate the cold.

Or if it's just bolts a small-medium one will do :P

Also used them on my strut caps, they are awesome, no other way to describe

No gurantee that the studs wont snap though aye? Just a bit worried cause they would be high tensile correct? And if they have been real hot they will snap more than anything...

We used freeze spray on the S13's turbo mani, worked ok if you can isolate the cold.

I was thinking of that freeze spray but isolating it like you say could be a problem? Possibly damage the thread in the head as well correct?

put a nut on a few threads on and weld it - You'll need lots of heat to make sure it really fuses with the stud. The heat also helps to break the seal. I got a very stubborn stud on the turbo out this way.

Edited by Mike

put a nut on a few threads on and weld it - You'll need lots of heat to make sure it really fuses with the stud. The heat also helps to break the seal. I got a very stubborn stud on the turbo out this way.

Cheers Mike! Ill crc then do that all at once no doubt ill get em out B)

Try using three nuts on the stud and tightening the first two together then use the innermost one to unscrew stud. Thats how i got a few difficult ones out on mine. Ive also been using a crc white lithium product more recently and that seems to work better than the crc stuff.

Try using three nuts on the stud and tightening the first two together then use the innermost one to unscrew stud. Thats how i got a few difficult ones out on mine. Ive also been using a crc white lithium product more recently and that seems to work better than the crc stuff.

Haha already tried the three nuts dude. Just feels like the inner nuts going to round.. But yea im definitely going to try a better penetrator. Thanks man

Luke

Haha already tried the three nuts dude. Just feels like the inner nuts going to round.. But yea im definitely going to try a better penetrator. Thanks man

Luke

You could try Wurth Rostoff Ice

BTW: If you break any of them...give me a ring first before you try getting the broken ones out. There is a proceedure to get them out without any heartache

Edited by *Glenn*

You could try Wurth Rostoff Ice

BTW: If you break any of them...give me a ring first before you try getting the broken ones out. There is a proceedure to get them out without any heartache

Oh tru is that similar to LOCTITE Freeze & Release Glenn? Ok thanks I will do that cheers Glenn!

Oh tru is that similar to LOCTITE Freeze & Release Glenn? Ok thanks I will do that cheers Glenn!

Its probably similar

1.5hrs who woulda thought? After applying a whole can of loctite freeze & release, some CRC and the slow agonizing file work to create a grip for my vice grips I managed to free the stupid stud! I have never dealt with such a stubborn stud im amazed i managed to get this one out. Really thought it was going to snap off in the head at one point as it was starting to turn and make noises.

Heres the culprate:

Posted Image