Sign in to follow this  
simke

Unauthorised registration plate fine

Right, so on sunday I posted here how I was stopped because of my German plates. At the time the officer didn't hand me a fine or mention anything about giving me one, so I though I got away with warning. However today I received a fine in my mailbox for $200 - "used unauthorised registration plate". I'm not arguing about the offence, just would have though that I'd be handed fine on the spot? Should I write a complaint letter or should I not bother and just pay the fine?

I would've thought, like you that the officer would have given you one on the spot,

so it states on the infringement notice when and where you were pulled over?

Write a complaint about what, exactly?

About the $200 fine.

It's a hand written notice, I would have thought if the officer wrote it on the spot (which he obviously did) that he would hand it to me there and then, and not post it?

It does state where and when I was pulled over.

I got sent a letter telling me I had been done for careless driving... 2 months later!

/rant

Only because I (and the company insurance provider) refused to pay for the damage to a mazda familia full of teens (with a restricted driver) when he came screaming up the arse of a reversing truck and, apparently, it was my fault, being in reverse and all. Cop didn't even know what licence was required to drive the truck but refused to call CVIU. He said I should of got out and looked around the truck. I said "and by the time I got back in a car would be behind me!"

/end rant

Tools, some of them. It may even be a quota thing. End of financial month and all that ;)

You're basically screwed... After all, it IS illegal.

It may even be a quota thing. End of financial month and all that ;)

Thats what i was thinking

Nah I think they do this so they don't have to put up with people abusing them, people are nicer to deal with when they think they have got away scott free... then BAM! lol

yea cops can be very frustrating lol

i would think that if they wer illegal, why are they being sold by ( probly ) the only legal plates dealer in nz? or is that a stupid thaught?

Have had the same thing happen, pulled over and told off and let go, then 2 weeks later an infringement notice in the post. Wasn't told it would be coming either.

Nah I think they do this so they don't have to put up with people abusing them, people are nicer to deal with when they think they have got away scott free... then BAM! lol

I rang the arseh*le and gave him abuse when I found out! (not really abuse because I have some respect for the law) but I was pretty angry! :lol:

Right so I wrote a complaint letter and posted it, but I doubt it will do any good.

Yes I am "guilty", but I'm sure my "illegal" plates did not cause any harm to any other road users out there. Hell you can run a red light and get a smaller fine, and that is something where someone could get hurt or killed. But who am I to argue. :angry:

IIRC, the law can allow police to defer the issuing of a Traffic Offence Notice for up to six months at their leisure, presumably to give them adequate time to establish fault in more complex situations.

Right so I wrote a complaint letter and posted it, but I doubt it will do any good.

Yes I am "guilty", but I'm sure my "illegal" plates did not cause any harm to any other road users out there. Hell you can run a red light and get a smaller fine, and that is something where someone could get hurt or killed. But who am I to argue. :angry:

Good point about the red light fine and people getting hurt- if you wrote the letter well, you would be surprised how reasonable they can be.

could be when the tickets are reviewed by the superiors they decide to proceed where the junior officer didnt.

I think it's a waste of time appealing. As stupid as the rules are - at the end of the day, you broke them, you got a ticket. End of.

Also on the subject of stupid fine structures. The fine for no seatbelt is $150 when if you crash you only kill yourself, but the fine for speeding over 10km/h is $120 when you could much easier kill a whole family.

I found out a guy yesterday got a fine of only $150 for having an unrestrained child in the car and another $150 for impeding the flow of traffic. 70 in a 100 zone.

Makes you think there might be a few problems with the system!

As a father, I would have had him strung up by the nuts, and as a truck driver, I would have had him run over by a B-train!

Edited by blakamin

About the $200 fine.

It's a hand written notice, I would have thought if the officer wrote it on the spot (which he obviously did) that he would hand it to me there and then, and not post it?

It does state where and when I was pulled over.

I don't see on what grounds you're proposing to complain. You've already conceded you knew the plate was illegal, so what's the problem here? That he didn't give you the fine on the spot? Is that material? Does it change any of the facts of this case?

I'm not disputing the fact that I broke the law, however stupid it may be. But why didn't the officer just leave it at giving me a warning? All I am saying is that in my opinion it is not a serious offense to justify $200 fine. If I was dumb enough to keep driving with those plates still on, then I'd definitely deserve a fine if stopped again.

But why didn't the officer just leave it at giving me a warning? All I am saying is that in my opinion it is not a serious offense to justify $200 fine

Unfortunately for you, your opinion means exactly nothing when the law is clear on the issue. I agree that the rule is moronic, but that the officer didn't decide to exercise discretion hardly warrants a complaint.

I say good on you for writing a letter and to be honest you dont have to justify yourself to anyone!

I wouldnt be suprised if you get let off. Let us know how you get on.

Also on the subject of stupid fine structures. The fine for no seatbelt is $150 when if you crash you only kill yourself, but the fine for speeding over 10km/h is $120 when you could much easier kill a whole family.

linky

Fine for exceeding by 10kph but under 15 is $80, over 115 is $120

First time I was pulled over I thought it was 120 too

Edited by jordy

The same thing happened to me, i was driving in a company car, and was doing some inspections along a road (traveling about 10km/h Max) then 2 weeks later i received a hand written fine in the post for driving in the excess of 89km/h in a 50 zone.

Not enough to loose your license, and not enough for him to get off his arse to pull me over.The fine was full of errors, but any how after disputing it and lawyer fees over $2500, the police turned around and said any minor discrepancies do not substitute the fine as being waved, then they sent out a amended fine in the mail, with a extended payment time.

So again i kept pushing. Lawyer fees now $3000. and went to court.

It appears that the police have the right under i think it was section 21 of the proceedings act, the police can amend any fine at any stage until it is correct.

Also after having them up about sending the fine in the post, they said, they can in fact send it the post legally, as on the fine itself, next to the date payable at the bottom, it has a small section, where the officer circles how the fine was presented to you. one of those being (posted)

Lesson learned, don't bother fighting, they will just get their way anyhow, and ya end up wasting lost of $.

About $400. :PBig waste of $, thought i was going to loose my license (due to past fine). But ended up scraping through