Sign in to follow this  
simke

Unauthorised registration plate fine

Of course they're not going to remit a fine on the basis of clerical errors, that's ridiculous. Again, be sensible - look at things that will materially alter the facts of the case. The fact that the cop spelled the name of the street wrong or put the wrong date isn't substantial enough to have a fine remitted. And as it shouldn't be, as you wouldn't be held to the same standard for mistakes you make under the Contractual Mistakes Act, which prevents arbitrary errors being held to a standard persuasive to a court of law.

Lesson learned, don't bother fighting, they will just get their way anyhow, and ya end up wasting lost of $.

I got one of these

Section 5, Transport (Vehicle and Driver Registration and Licensing) Act 1986 Using, etc, unlicensed motor vehicle or motor vehicle that does not have registration plates affixed in the prescribed manner, $200

The license had been out 2 days, It was issued by a parking warden at 11.00pm, and the description of my car(white 4 door sedan) was a black hatchback, I was going to dispute it, then the parentals told me the bill the last time they had a dispute in court and i just paid.

I'm not disputing the fact that I broke the law, however stupid it may be. But why didn't the officer just leave it at giving me a warning? All I am saying is that in my opinion it is not a serious offense to justify $200 fine. If I was dumb enough to keep driving with those plates still on, then I'd definitely deserve a fine if stopped again.

I"m supprised at the lack of criminals using them... You don't need any proof of plate ownership when ordering from overseas. You could go to Sylvia Park on a weekend, write down 15 plates of simalar cars, get the plates made up and then use them for dodgy dealings... SO potentically it is a serious offence when looking at it that way... BUT i do feel that given that it's $35 to remake a euro plate the $400 fee is excesive

I"m supprised at the lack of criminals using them... You don't need any proof of plate ownership when ordering from overseas. You could go to Sylvia Park on a weekend, write down 15 plates of simalar cars, get the plates made up and then use them for dodgy dealings... SO potentically it is a serious offence when looking at it that way... BUT i do feel that given that it's $35 to remake a euro plate the $400 fee is excesive

Criminals are criminals. Why on earth would they go out and buy a whole bunch of legit plates when they could just steal them instead for free.

And as for clerical errors. I have used them to get off many fines. Was a few years ago now but I have even had a large fine wavered for the officer putting down one digit of my plate incorrectly.

Got let off for an officer putting down the cars details as a Nissan Toyota. And that was just automatic. I did not write in about that one. Just got sent a letter stating they would not be pursuing the offense.

In a similar situation to yours I was sent a fine after being told he was only giving me a warning and time to correct the issue. I just called him up and he corrected it for me.

Criminals are criminals. Why on earth would they go out and buy a whole bunch of legit plates when they could just steal them instead for free.

The plates would then be flagged as stolen, if any cop was to run the plate like they do, it would show as stolen and they would then get pulled over. I guess i'm refering to the more intelligent criminal...

I had my personal plates stolen a few years back and i was getting pulled over 2x a week for having plates that were flagged as stolen on the car. 

By having legit plates that are not flagged as stolen they run a much high percentage of not being pulled over. Just remember some of the worst criminals have been arrested because of minor car related offences... i can't remember but i think it was charles manson or ted bundy that had a broken taillight... 

Edited by DRTDVL

Ive thought about that. Having the same car and everything and using the same plate.

One set of Rego fees. Who actually EVER checks the Vin numbers at a wof?

I know a member on here who did this, had two cars the same type and colour, but different years - had 2 sets of plates, and you can get a replacement rego sticker for free. If he wanted a WOF he could go in with the real plates as being rego'd is not a WOF requirement - the other way around in fact.

Very dodgy.

Who actually EVER checks the Vin numbers at a wof?

It's actually on the WoF sheet. A wof dude entered mine wrong on his pc to complete the wof and it came up with all sorts of messages! Wouldn't let him wof the car. Edited by blakamin

Mmm, I know that. But you can get your vin number from carjam. Which is what I do.

I dont even know where to find my VIN on my car. And ive looked

Can't even find mine on my 320i either,

And it comes up on Carjam as "VIN: N/A".

Dodgy much?

Odd..

Mines: * VIN: Find out by purchasing the report

Last 2 wofs ive used "Chassis: WBABG220X0ET20584" in place of my Vin.

Maybe i should print out my report.. hmm

Ive thought about that. Having the same car and everything and using the same plate.

One set of Rego fees. Who actually EVER checks the Vin numbers at a wof?

They all do, I used to work at the Dunedin WOF Centre :) WOF Online requires it to be entered and crosschecked with the LTSA database.

Odd..

I'm pretty sure they use to display it just by entering in your plate number on CarJam, but they don't anymore. It says you have to purchase a report.

Odd..

That is your VIN!

Yeah thats what the wof dude said.. But I wasnt sure. Sweet, good to know