Sign in to follow this  
M52b28

lsd- wear and tear

Hey there, I've got a few options for an lsd, currently looking at a 3.46 med case out of one of the old 5-series. What I want to know is the expected life and about wear on BMW LSD's. You can never find out exactly how many k's these have done after been on a couple of cars, but I'm guessing this one, with standard lock-up hasn't been used around a track.

Anyway if anyone knows about how they wear/ how many k's they last working well and so on. Unless I take them to a diff shop and ask them to open up and have a look I'm not going to know untill it's on the car and too late. Any information would be great. This could probly go under maintenance too. cheers.

they dont normally give a lot of trouble , have had diffs with 500000km on thme and still ok , sometimes noisy bearings , but if you are swapping bits around to fit your diff case all thi scan be checked .

i wouldn't worry too much about it .

Hey there, I've got a few options for an lsd, currently looking at a 3.46 med case out of one of the old 5-series. What I want to know is the expected life and about wear on BMW LSD's. You can never find out exactly how many k's these have done after been on a couple of cars, but I'm guessing this one, with standard lock-up hasn't been used around a track.

Anyway if anyone knows about how they wear/ how many k's they last working well and so on. Unless I take them to a diff shop and ask them to open up and have a look I'm not going to know untill it's on the car and too late. Any information would be great. This could probly go under maintenance too. cheers.

I would go for a 3.15:1 ratio... I've just done it

I had some a set clutches added to my medium case diff for E30 while it was out. Locks up much better now and will be alot stronger for those sustained burnouts :P. In all seriousness i think most of depends on how your going to drive the car, like above they usually pretty solid in my experience.

i have a 3.25 med case gears if you want . also some others

Cheers for all that, I'm fine with the diff, and want that particular ratio as it will realy pull and have talked to a few guys that have used 3.46, need to be a tad quicker on gear changes but the aceleration nd pull from down low should be perfect. Anway sounds like a general consensus that these BMW diffs are fairly solid. Cheers for the offer Brent, but I think i'll see how its goes and then at some stage play round witht eh gearing.

You're gonna have to have it swapped into your housing anyway.

Can they not check it out while they swap it?

You're gonna have to have it swapped into your housing anyway.

Can they not check it out while they swap it?

Hey, well it's a direct fit (may not have been originaly this way), but the last car it was in was a 328... which its about to go into, so I won't be opening it up. I rang the guys at steelie-gears but to get them to do anything was gonaa be atleast a couple of hundred bucks. Im told its a good one, and working well so hopefully thats truthfull. And maybe after I've put a bit of wear on it, could get a rebuild have the thrusts removed and get it a taking a bit harder. Do you by any chance have an lsd in ur 328?

With 225/45/17 wheels and the 3.46 diff will give you 2,894rpm @ 100kph.... is that what you want?

That will give you a calculated top speed of 225kph @ 6,500rpm (rev limit) in 5th gear

Edited by *Glenn*

Do you by any chance have an lsd in ur 328?

I had one, but I've removed it for something else.

Was 3.64/1. 3k @ 100k/h. Great fun. Not too good for a daily.

Edited by westy

I had one, but I've removed it for something else.

Was 3.64/1. 3k @ 100k/h. Great fun. Not too good for a daily.

O yea nice, well if you were ok with that then 3.46 should be fine, and I'm not to fussed bout fuel consumption. Y'd you remove it!

I removed it to use on something else.

LSD is f**kin orsum in a 328 manual.

I removed it to use on something else.

LSD is f**kin orsum in a 328 manual.

Yup, can agree with you on that. Bought it today from Ray at HellBM and had it installed, did a great job and great to deal with- will definatly ask there first when needing other parts.

The difference is day and night, handling is amazing and acceleration increase bet anything I've done before for performance gains. Any long drives at over 120km become a bit anoying, need a 6th gear to go into- but that's expected and I'm only on the open road 2-3 times a year. Very happy.