Sign in to follow this  
caleb

recommendation for Mechanical Insurance

can someone recommend me Mechanical Insurance with ZERO excess?

Most mechanical insurance I found impose an excess for European car but Zero excess for Japanese car and I've yet to come across one which has ZERO excess for European car.

Thanks

I have Autosure Platinum plus, which has zero excess. They were the only ones doing it when I bought my E36 in July. I understand that they now no longer offer a no excess policy though. This sucks as I would hate to have to pay (in many cases) multiple excesses for one repair - this happened to a mate of mine, they wanted one excess per coil on his Subaru as the mechanic couldn't work out which one was faulty.

Try http://www.driveright.co.nz/whoweare.htm

I'm not too sure of an excess but I was looking into this last year.

Laurence

For your M3? All the mechanical insurance companys i've seen come through work have a little disclaimer at the bottom of there policys that they won't cover any "M" engines or "AMG" engines V10 or V12 as well, actually every policy i've seen has this on it.

Protecta?? They do the M and AMG range as far as I know - not sure on the excess side of things ...

Don't remember if i've seen that one, sounds familiar? If they do, the excess will be an insane amount of dollars just to cover the insane price of M parts.

Don't remember if i've seen that one, sounds familiar? If they do, the excess will be an insane amount of dollars just to cover the insane price of M parts.

Nah it's actually not ridiculously high (comparatively speaking to BMW parts prices) - The BMW dealerships use Protecta for all their used cars that's outside of BMW Approved period - Just spoke with Sandra and she said the excess is around about $195 to $395 per claim or lower (depends on if you get the car serviced by BMW or not) - M cars have the same excess.

The premium is also different if you have an M car - slightly more apparantly.

Best to call Protecta to find out. Or alternatively you can call Sandra on the number I listed below - she can help you out and sell you a cover from Protecta.

She said that before you can buy a Protecta insurance you'll have to have the car inspected by an authorised BMW dealership which is I think around $150 or there abouts.

Alternatively give me the details of your car - make, model, import or NZ new, and mileage on it and I'll get a quote back for you.

Also bear in mind that you get what you pay for with Mechanical insurance - the parts they use to repair your car, the time allowed to do the repair (for the workshop) has a bearing on whether your car will be repaired properly or even repaired at all and whether ancilliary parts are covered or not (e.g. do they replace the seal or that particular bolt ect). So if you are in the market for mechanical breakdown insurance, ask around the workshops and see which one they have had dealings with and whether they are any good or not.

Protecta does seem to be popular with a lot of the Euro car dealerships for sure.

Edited by M3_Power

Wow that's not a bad price for excess. Actually come to think of it i have seen a few of our Peugeots have protecta cover, most of the insurance companys we have dealt with seem to be pretty good with their covers etc.

I have Autosure Platinum plus, which has zero excess. They were the only ones doing it when I bought my E36 in July. I understand that they now no longer offer a no excess policy though ...

I have this one too; the booklet states that there should be a $250 excess on my car (special vehicle - which is basically anything European) ... but the policy document I have states $0 excess and they haven't tried charging me one yet (2 claims on $0 excess).

I have this one too; the booklet states that there should be a $250 excess on my car (special vehicle - which is basically anything European) ... but the policy document I have states $0 excess and they haven't tried charging me one yet (2 claims on $0 excess).

you're a lucky man. Mechanical insurance with ZERO excess are the ones that genuinely offers absolute peace of mind.

when I enquired about Autosure Platnium Plus policy recently, Autosure said they stopped offering zero excess policy since last year. Now the excess is $350 per unrelated claim. Imagine when making a claim, they could count left control arm as 1 claim, right control arm as another claim etc. For a single repair job they could apply multiple excess in the name of Unrelated Claim.

If there's anyone aware of Mechanical Insurance with ZERO excess, please let me know. I won't mind a much higher premium

Edited by bimmer77

AA. No excess when I signed up with them two years ago. They required an AA inspection done first though (a waste of $120).

AA. No excess when I signed up with them two years ago. They required an AA inspection done first though (a waste of $120).

Thanks, tried AA. They said they stopped offering Zero excess policy for almost 2 years

hey to add to this discussion I dont always think about the excess etc anymore, the important point IMHO is that they actually pay out..........we have had numerous policies over the years and some of them were real shocking in trying to get out of their responsibilities.....one firm even wanted a disclaimer off the main agents who did a fuel injection repair that if anything ever went wrong with the fuel system again they'd be liable not the warranty firm, another firm i had a warranty with were so difficult to deal with i just ended up paying for the repair myself because my car would have been off the road forever while they squabbled and tried to get out of paying

Conversely, a protecta warranty i had with a vehicle was a relevation they sorted the problems out imediately no hassles great to deal with although not the cheapest........so in closing doesnt matter how cheap the policy are or excess is if it aint worth the paper its written on <_< from a personal point of view the protecta firm is the only one id use now.

The fairest and easiest companies to deal with ( in no prefered order ) are:

Autosure

Driveright

Lumley

Motorplus

Protecta

I suggest everyone does their homework and find the one that suits them ($$$) & their vehicle

Funny how everyone wants their problems fixed for free.

Do you want to pay a $250 excess or $5000 for a rebuilt transmission?

Funny how everyone wants their problems fixed for free.

Do you want to pay a $250 excess or $5000 for a rebuilt transmission?

Thats so true ... and they also expect wear & tear and maintanence to be covered as well, when they buy a car that is 10 years old and done over 100,000km