Sign in to follow this  
ED1RTY

[rant]

Bring back the biff

I got disciplined physically as a child and I believe I'm a better person from it. f**k all that nanny sit in the corner, you've been bad sh*t

I agree. But then you get the kids who just get the sh*t beaten out of them. Then think it is fine for them to beat the sh*t out of other.

And Livi. Why would you stay in an area like that. Move to botany or something.

[edit] Family violence is not limited to one specific group of people so lets not make assumptions please.

Edited by Penry

I agree with Ollie, but I also love how those without kids have all the answers on how to bring them up <_<

I will never discipline my kids physically and I dont agree when people say its the only way, its not. My kids get time out but if they do something that either my wife or I disagree with then it gets dealt with immediately.

Judging by the comments we get about them they are some of the best mannered kids you are likely to find and its all because we as 'parents' are giving them the best we can in terms of a 'proper' family environment.

Any back on topic, unless these scum come at you and physically threaten you there is little you can do. The best thing is always going to be to call the Police and in the meantime have someone record what they are doing. Its seems like every phone has a video function these days and thats always going to be better than getting into a fight with someone.

bring back the death penalty :)

im pretty sure its all to do with parent discipline. Then again alot of these criminals haven't had the best starts to life, its not all their fault, its probably what they have grown up with.

edit- when i say discipline I mean values that parents instill onto their children, values make a huge difference, like you don't see Maori's stealing from Marai's because that is a place of great respect to them.

Edited by Jamez

Think of it this way, should you seriously injure the idiot she/he would then be on ACC, which would mean YOU pay for them to receive care, then go onto the sickness benifit as they can't work, which YOU pay for... and while they are not working, they have time to get bored and go break into other peoples sh*t, which YOU pay for in insurance fee's....

anyways you work it... it screws you over... isn't it lovely...

Oh right, because shooting someone in the back is 'reasonable' is it ?

Im sorry Ian, but thats a really stupid thing to say. Your allowed to use reasonable force to contend with any 'force' they might be using.

Shooting people is not the answer.

if some prick stole my quad bike, i'd shoot him.

All it takes is someone from the community to stand up to these bastards and mess one of them up really bad. If they know that everyone is against them and no one's gonna tolerate it any more, they'll think twice about breaking into your car.

Edited by kingkarl

OR!! They will just arm themselves and shoot you first

OR!! They will just arm themselves and shoot you first

+1 I guess one reason behind not going vigilante is the price of escalation?

if some prick stole my quad bike, i'd shoot him.

Well that's a perfectly rational response :rolleyes:

All it takes is someone from the community to stand up to these bastards and mess one of them up really bad. If they know that everyone is against them and no one's gonna tolerate it any more, they'll think twice about breaking into your car.

Do you really believe this? I don't know how much research has to go into this before people will get it into their dense brains that this type of punishment DOESN'T REDUCE CRIME. Concern about consequences plays almost no role in the decision to commit crime - it's been so thoroughly researched it's amazing people still havent accepted it.

i think we should bring back torture to criminals...

have a big book of things the victom can choose from... nothing to say this is too harsh just victom chooses...

Think of it this way, should you seriously injure the idiot she/he would then be on ACC, which would mean YOU pay for them to receive care, then go onto the sickness benifit as they can't work, which YOU pay for... and while they are not working, they have time to get bored and go break into other peoples sh*t, which YOU pay for in insurance fee's....

anyways you work it... it screws you over... isn't it lovely...

that is a true point but these theives are probably "stealing our money in the form of the dole or some other benifit.

Rather have them on the dole than stealing my car to make a buck

Well that's a perfectly rational response :rolleyes:

Do you really believe this? I don't know how much research has to go into this before people will get it into their dense brains that this type of punishment DOESN'T REDUCE CRIME. Concern about consequences plays almost no role in the decision to commit crime - it's been so thoroughly researched it's amazing people still havent accepted it.

How does this "fact" that crims do not think of the consequences of their actions explain the large exodus of criminals out of California once they have "two strikes"?

How does this "fact" that crims do not think of the consequences of their actions explain the large exodus of criminals out of California once they have "two strikes"?

That's a manifestly retarded statement. Seriously, do you even think before you type? Have you seent he directly correlating increase in crime in neighbouring states? If you're a criminal on two strikes in California, quite obviously you're going to make the short drive to a neighbouring state to continue your career. That doesn't mean they stop commiting crime, does it?

Guest Simon*

Settle down people it's a car forum. A bit of debate is healthy but we're not going to solve the world's problems here. And it's not a soapbox for wannabe politicians either.

PLEASE refrain from making personal attacks or ill-advised statements like

That's a manifestly retarded statement. Seriously, do you even think before you type?

If you have, in your esteemed opinion, a sound argument then by all means post away, but let your "facts" and your powers of persuasion do the talking and don't just go about clobbering the other posters.

Future posts of this nature will just be deleted

Cheers

That's a manifestly retarded statement. Seriously, do you even think before you type? Have you seent he directly correlating increase in crime in neighbouring states? If you're a criminal on two strikes in California, quite obviously you're going to make the short drive to a neighbouring state to continue your career. That doesn't mean they stop commiting crime, does it?

But they stop commiting crime in the state that enforces three strikes, it seems to work. If surrounding states enforced the same system, where would they go? I do not think your argument holds very well.

Perhaps a problem with the three strike system is that you'd have a population living in fear and/or full prisons if the threshold is too low, or ineffectiveness if the threshold is too high.

Of course if the sociocultural problems were addressed instead of consequences that would be the best solution. But that is not very feasible, especially when blanket countermeasures are not at all effective if not tailored to the individual. And trying to map variables for just one person would be hugely expensive and time consuming, let alone the criminial population of a state.

Ok, didnt want to make this thread a crazy lash out session, gus is about the only one that has contributed to this discussion, yea all of the above makes me sick but my reason for posting this was to find out what my rightS are as a citizen. If those f**kers come back again can i give em' a whack and detain them?

I have (after discussion with police) joined the local crimewatch and have ability to make a citizens arrest, under the acts that gus has spoken of, i will be seeing my neighbours this w/e re this incident and what we can do in the future to prevent it.

Altiougj it's not really going to stop the breaking or thieft of stuff. Those swan home security camera arn't bad.

Buy an oldish cheap ex-lease pc, Waco a big harddrive in it, and have it mounted under the house or hidden well in the house. Setup a wireless network so you can remote desktop the pc to control it. be there you go home survalance.

The infrared cameras work very well at night and depending on the model/setup you can run los of cameras off the one pc. Like yours and your grandparents driveways, maybe front entrances and anywhere else you want. Alot of the cameras are now wireless so install is easy.

You might not stop your stuff from being stolen but you'd have proof to show the cops. Some insurance companies discount contents and home insurance if you have alarms and cameras setup.

M folks old street was a deadens and there was an ex cop in the first house closest to the main road, he had setup 2 cameras to record traffic coming and going along the deadend road.

Edited by DRTDVL

I agree with Ollie, but I also love how those without kids have all the answers on how to bring them up <_<

I will never discipline my kids physically and I dont agree when people say its the only way, its not. My kids get time out but if they do something that either my wife or I disagree with then it gets dealt with immediately.

Judging by the comments we get about them they are some of the best mannered kids you are likely to find and its all because we as 'parents' are giving them the best we can in terms of a 'proper' family environment.

Any back on topic, unless these scum come at you and physically threaten you there is little you can do. The best thing is always going to be to call the Police and in the meantime have someone record what they are doing. Its seems like every phone has a video function these days and thats always going to be better than getting into a fight with someone.

Absolutely completely agree.

We do the same thing and get the same comments.

People need to wake up and realise where these problems start!