Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

e30 coil overs

Guest FrantiC

Anyone know of a good set of coil overs for an e30 ?

I've been told you can get D2's, which are OK (I really just want the adjustability of height and a stiffer ride), for around the ~$1300 mark. Anyone know of any others, maybe cheaper or even where to get them from??

And what would be the procedure for installing them in an e30 ? I've read rear strut tower would need re-enforcing to take the extra load, where would I get this done and what exactly needs to be done ?

I was considering D2's. But D2's have a terrible reputation for poor quality and poor spring/damping combo. Dampers are also prone to leaking, and have poor rebound.

Real coilovers will need reinforcement to the rear strut towers = $$$

Adjustable spring shock combo uses the standard spring perches.

I'd much rather put the money toward a decent spring/shock combo. Race King Springs and matched Koni's from Stocks would be a better way to spend $1200.

The cheapest complete coilover kit I found at the time is the Ground Control kit that I'm using. All up, including modification of the struts, gst and shipping was close to $2,700 (edit: this includes my spare set of front springs). You get what you pay for.

My kit came with:

-Shock dyno matched Koni SA's and Eibach springs. (I paid an extra ~$200 for custom shorter rear shocks)

-Coilover platforms and sleeves

-Camber/Castor top plates

-Solid mounts

-Custom bumpstops

The kit is all quality and seems unbreakable.

If you're going 5-stud, Ground Control do a totally sweet, specific E36/E30 kit. Comes with already modified struts! Link here

edit: Appears GC no longer do the track school kit I have. Sorry :wacko:

Edited by JiB

Guest Ari Gold

go with ground control, tc kline, h&r or gaz.

You don't need to reinforce the rear unless you go to a true rear coilover, most kits just have a height adjustable spring perch.

Guest FrantiC

So what I could have adjustable shocks that adjust ride height?

I want the same sort of height I have now (front is below 100mm), But want it way stiffer and yeah.. I don't know what I would like to do really maybe just stiffer shocks would do, But these springs are really softtt

Any reason you really want height adjustables on a road car?

Edited by DRTDVL

Guest FrantiC

TBH I don't really know what i want atm, Just thinking aloud and looking at options for now.

Others will probably correct me and state why, but my thoughts are that for a road car you really only want to go adjustable damper. I wouldn't see the need to change the ride height a lot on a street car. Evrrytime you adjust the height you would then need a wheel alignment and you also need to have the suspension certified also.

The probable best reason for coilovers would be the range of race springs you could choose from to get the handling sorted, or to make minor changes to ride height to make wheels rub less if you don't have the right size/offset.

A really good set of either billies that are valved to suit what your intending the car to be used for or a good set of externally adjustable damper shocks would be my pic for a road car.

Ok everyone chim in now and let me know if that's all bollixs...

Edited by DRTDVL

The car will have to be certed with the new engine anyways so just get the cert when it's all completed rather than paying twice.

Others will probably correct me and state why, but my thoughts are that for a road car you really only want to go adjustable damper. I wouldn't see the need to change the ride height a lot on a street car. Evrrytime you adjust the height you would then need a wheel alignment and you also need to have the suspension certified also.

The probable best reason for coilovers would be the range of race springs you could choose from to get the handling sorted, or to make minor changes to ride height to make wheels rub less if you don't have the right size/offset.

A really good set of either billies that are valved to suit what your intending the car to be used for or a good set of externally adjustable damper shocks would be my pic for a road car.

Ok everyone chim in now and let me know if that's all bollixs...

I agree, decent shocks, matched to springs that will give you the poundage and ride height you want are better value for $ imho.

Camber/castor plates may not be necessary in your case FrantiC?

i know Koni do a set of coilovers for E30's as im getting some, dont have the details on me and dont know what theyre like as i dont have them...another option for you possibly?

whats this rear strut mod? is it better to do it and be safe or not likely to need? anyone have a link to a previous post or what not?

(sorry for hijacking)

Guest FrantiC

Yeah whole point I am thinking coil overs is so i could get them done before I get the cert for engine. - get it all done at once sort of thing, so if I think of it later won't have to re-cert.

And I want to have the car's stance sitting exactly how I like it.

I'm really just after a stiffer ride (it's really really soft atm, Like at full throttle the rear drops right down to bumpstops and just normal driving around it's too spongy and ugggh just gay).

Edited by FrantiC

Like others have said id just go for a good shock\spring combo & maybe some toe\camber adjusters.

Guest FrantiC

I'm not really after camber or toe adjustment though, Mainly want to keep around the same height I am now but waaay stiffer.

Maybe if I got some decent shocks and used them with my jamex springs? ?

Not sure about Jamex springs

But Koni's + Eibach Progressive springs = Stupid good handling with the shocks set to conservative rebound settings ( could be say way way way firmer )

Front and rear cambers kits are available to normal shock/spring setups anyway.

If you don't think your car Handles good enough after that, try some white line sway bars.

Rileys 340i has a fairly conservative spring shock setup but with all the bushings and the fat sway bars it totally dealt to Ruapuna raceway.

Rileys car made me realize good handling doesn't necessarily mean ultra rate springs.