Sign in to follow this  
keen

Need Help. E46 change japan to NZ

I have not done my homework properly and purchased a head unit to change the japan radio to a NZ one. I was assured that the brought one was a NZ one. Also it was a model after 2000. my car is a 2000 so I though that I would have a take out old and fit new to remedy the problem with the frequencies. but no that is not the case plugs are differant. Can anyone help with what I can do now. Here are the photos of the plugs on my car and the radio taken out and the one to fit. The radio in the last photos was the intended new one.

post-1074-1240615776_thumb.jpg

post-1074-1240616453_thumb.jpg

post-1074-1240618080_thumb.jpg

I have not done my homework properly and purchased a head unit to change the japan radio to a NZ one. I was assured that the brought one was a NZ one. Also it was a model after 2000. my car is a 2000 so I though that I would have a take out old and fit new to remedy the problem with the frequencies. but no that is not the case plugs are differant. Can anyone help with what I can do now. Here are the photos of the plugs on my car and the radio taken out and the one to fit. The radio in the last photos was the intended new one.

Go to BMW and purchase the old-gen to new-gen wiring loom adapter, as well as the antenna cable wiring loom adapter. Then you can plug the radio in.

You car has old-generation (round pin) radio connectors.

The radio has new-generaion flat-pin connectors

Here's what you need on ebay:

OG-NG radio adapter loom

That auction is just the main loom adapter, not the antenna lead adapter - so remember to get the antenna lead adapter as well.

Note that you also need to replace the antenna amplifier from the old-gen type to the new-gen type.

If you do not replace the antenna amp, you will loose the diversity-antenna function, and the antenna amp will default to one antenna only.

This means your FM reception performance will reduce a lot.

Whether you notice this depends on where you live and drive compare to how strong the FM signals are in your local area.

When replacing the antenna amp, consider getting a 2nd hand one, it'll be cheaper than BMW-new :-)

Can do an oceania version of your origional..

I thought most 2000+ models have the world mode tuner in them??????

Go to BMW and purchase the old-gen to new-gen wiring loom adapter, as well as the antenna cable wiring loom adapter. Then you can plug the radio in.

You car has old-generation (round pin) radio connectors.

The radio has new-generaion flat-pin connectors

Here's what you need on ebay:

OG-NG radio adapter loom

That auction is just the main loom adapter, not the antenna lead adapter - so remember to get the antenna lead adapter as well.

Note that you also need to replace the antenna amplifier from the old-gen type to the new-gen type.

If you do not replace the antenna amp, you will loose the diversity-antenna function, and the antenna amp will default to one antenna only.

This means your FM reception performance will reduce a lot.

Whether you notice this depends on where you live and drive compare to how strong the FM signals are in your local area.

When replacing the antenna amp, consider getting a 2nd hand one, it'll be cheaper than BMW-new :-)

Thank you for the reply I have had a look at the newer radio and it has the round pins also but it has two square boxes underneath the round pins where as mine only has one square box underneath. the new one also only has one plug socket for the Aeriel I presume where mine has the two as you can see in the picture. are we still looking at an adapter from BMW or am i truly stuffed? also the question of 2000 model being able to locate other frequency's I thought only started in sept 2000 were mine seems to be early 2000. does the numbers on the radio give any indication of this or not?

Thank you for the reply I have had a look at the newer radio and it has the round pins also but it has two square boxes underneath the round pins where as mine only has one square box underneath. the new one also only has one plug socket for the Aeriel I presume where mine has the two as you can see in the picture. are we still looking at an adapter from BMW or am i truly stuffed? also the question of 2000 model being able to locate other frequency's I thought only started in sept 2000 were mine seems to be early 2000. does the numbers on the radio give any indication of this or not?

Sigh. The answer to ALL your questions is:

YOU NEED THE WIRING HARNESS ADAPTER THAT I ADVISED YOU ABOUT IN MY PREVIOUS POST.

You have a car wired for Old Gen radio

You bought a New Gen radio

You need the adapter harness.

That's it. End of story. Go and get the harness.

I thought most 2000+ models have the world mode tuner in them??????

Sept 2001 or March 2001 is the cut-over date, depending on what model vehicle and what model radio.

I downloaded the instructions to change the radio in my 2002 E46 to "Oceania" and it took all of 10 seconds.. no band expander, nothing.... would it work on the older one the OP is talking about??

I downloaded the instructions to change the radio in my 2002 E46 to "Oceania" and it took all of 10 seconds.. no band expander, nothing.... would it work on the older one the OP is talking about??

That sounds great can you give me the site with that info on please?

No, reprogramming only works on NG radios, not OG

That sounds great can you give me the site with that info on please?

You're there now :-)

Link

You're there now :-)

Link

Hi there Jochen you are a great help with these matters.Can I say for an old guy like me (65) I struggle with a lot of new terminology and changes to electrical things and even though you may think I'm a dumb ass I do try to keep up and follow your advice (one of the reasons for being here), I try not to go to far from the straight and narrow and your help is much appreciated. Having said that after you told me to go to the dealer for a loom to change the two head units over as shown by your link to an ebay loom I asked the local dealer to find one of these looms and they came back with can not find one and after I showed them the link you gave me they have said that it must have been an aftermarket thing.Not being one to try to cause trouble I wonder if you could enlighten me further about this or better still could you give me a BMW part no.?Thank you again.Ken

Hi there Jochen you are a great help with these matters.Can I say for an old guy like me (65) I struggle with a lot of new terminology and changes to electrical things and even though you may think I'm a dumb ass I do try to keep up and follow your advice (one of the reasons for being here), I try not to go to far from the straight and narrow and your help is much appreciated. Having said that after you told me to go to the dealer for a loom to change the two head units over as shown by your link to an ebay loom I asked the local dealer to find one of these looms and they came back with can not find one and after I showed them the link you gave me they have said that it must have been an aftermarket thing.Not being one to try to cause trouble I wonder if you could enlighten me further about this or better still could you give me a BMW part no.?Thank you again.Ken

Here are the BMW part numbers, they are all original BMW parts:

Posted Image

61.12-6 913 957 Round Pin to Flat Pin Main Radio Harness Adapter (Item #1, US$56)

61.12-6 913 955 New Gen Radio Antenna Adapter (Item #2, US$34)

61.12-6 924 785 10-Pin to 12-Pin Radio Audio Input Adapter (for CD changer) (Item #3, US$20)

61.12-6 913 954 Another CD changer (Item #3 as above)

61.12-0 140 718 CD Changer Audio Input Cable (if the car does not have 6-pin CDC plug)

Discretionary Parts:

82.11-0 149 390 Aux Input Adapter Kit for New Gen Radio

is there any other place to source the antenna adapter? Jeff Gray BMW want $100 for one (used part number found here and on the DIY at E46 Fanatics) which I think is way over the top for price of a small cable.

Hi,

I have unit from a NZ new car that will plug straight in and work fully without any issues.

$50.00 its yours

Dean

I have a BMW radio from an NZ New car and the antenna does not fit properly, but if you have a radio I could be interested for the other halfs E46