Sign in to follow this  
APT

Does/Has your E30 leaked oil?

Mine DOES!!! seems to coming off the gearbox somewhere? is it possible to be coming out of the back of the engine and onto the gearbox?

Where has your leaks come from ?

cheers :D

i had a huge leak off the gearbox with and old engine when the engine blew it turned out to be coming from a small gap in the gasket on the very back of the engine, then dribbles onto the gearbox

thats the only leak ive ever had

Edited by Jamez

i had a huge leak off the gearbox with and old engine when the engine blew it turned out to be coming from a small gap in the gasket on the very back of the engine, then dribbles onto the gearbox

thats the only leak ive ever had

That could be the case with mine, do you know if its a hard job ?

My old 2.0 did the same, used to come out the back of the engine and collect in the tray bellow it. I found fitting a 2.5 fixed the problem B)

Haha yer that sounds about right.. Out of curiousity how much did the conversion cost you all up? ( if you dont mind me asking ?) might be doing it soon..

fixing the problem involves getting the engine out of the car so that you can access the area

then its all dependent of whats actually broken. could be a cracked head or just a gasket on the valve cover

if you want a cheap fix just leave it, aslong as you don't go through to much oil its nothing to worry about

and putting a 2.5 in can cost somthing like this

600-1200 for engine

300-800 for gearbox

300ish for other things

my conversion from stock 320i to M325i cost 2k but i bought a damaged 325i and swapped all the bit over

its really the most cost effective way to do it

Yup mine does.. Duno where from though. Cant seem to work it out. Its kinda intermittent though

Spot on James, I paid $700 to have them swapped and just used my 2.0 gearbox… Left the 320i badge on and no one is the wiser.

PS: James your inbox is full ;)

Edited by Apex

Mine DOES!!! seems to coming off the gearbox somewhere? is it possible to be coming out of the back of the engine and onto the gearbox?

Where has your leaks come from ?

cheers :D

More than likely I'd say that this is either being caused the the gearbox shaft seal, or the engine main seal. Both jobs require removal of gearbox. However, as mentioned above, e30's love to leak, valve cover gasket would be the most likely other problem,

My 2.7 was leaking from in between the block and head, and that was because I had a cracked head and a multitude of other problems, new head sorted that. And I've had a leak from the valve cover gasket, and also a slight leak from a sump. But their were both tiny leaks.

edit: A very common leak is the rubber "U" seals at the front and back of the valve cover, they will leak before anything else.

Edited by QuickSilver

Mine only leaks on warm days when the poor engine has been given a workout, out of the valve cover at the front, drips off the A/C mount.

From the back of the gearbox, oil filter housing, exhaust manifold cyl 4, possibly around dipstick or somewherer near the front too, maybe front crank seal.

So yea, a little.

imo i would be worried if it didnt leak.

my theory is if it isnt leaking there isnt any oil in it

imo i would be worried if it didnt leak.

my theory is if it isnt leaking there isnt any oil in it

LOL.

very common for the rear main seal to leak on the M20. The seal itself isn't that expensive but you have to remove the gearbox to replace it and therefore many people just put up with it. It's not a bad thing, just annoying.

mine dose but i guess it the power stearing pipes, could dere b a way the engine oil seems to be low even afta refilling to the point after few days