Sign in to follow this  
mac4

325 i vs 328i

looking at a replacement for my 635 csi getting a bit long in the tooth & parts getting hard to find .Even new parts scarce - bearing for the 262 box 6 weeks ex Germany$250 . So im looking at a 94 -98 325 or 328 , manual coupe . doesnt seem much difference power wise only 1kw . Iwant it for long distance travel not a daily driver ,so which is better. I assume they are different engines but 1kw seems little gain for extra 300cc &newer tech . Is it a heavier car as 3 series getting up to size &weight of original 5 series . Any you guys here owned both for comparison?

325i makes its power higher up the rev range.

328i has far more torque.

For long distance travelling you could get away with either car, they're both good. However the 328's are probably slightly more refined as some of the E36 kinks had been worked out by that stage of production. A '97 or '98 328i would be my choice.

I have a 262 box if you're keen along with other gearbox/clutch stuff.

Edited by Creaver

looking at a replacement for my 635 csi getting a bit long in the tooth & parts getting hard to find .Even new parts scarce - bearing for the 262 box 6 weeks ex Germany$250 . So im looking at a 94 -98 325 or 328 , manual coupe . doesnt seem much difference power wise only 1kw . Iwant it for long distance travel not a daily driver ,so which is better. I assume they are different engines but 1kw seems little gain for extra 300cc &newer tech . Is it a heavier car as 3 series getting up to size &weight of original 5 series . Any you guys here owned both for comparison?

hi . i have a 92 325i coupe in manual (non vanos) chipped ecu weighs about 1330kg in manual .

and also own a e28 m535i they weigh about 1395kg

the one thing i miss when driving the e36 is the torque of the bigger engine ,it has a nice rev happy nature and pulls well up through the rev range with out any fuss but just lacks teh low down .

but having driven a couple of e36 328i they certainly make up for it with the extra 300cc and the vanos system .

still not quite as quick as the e28 but pretty close .

why not just change the gearbox in the 635csi to a later getrag 260/6 box from a e34 535i etc they dont seam to give much trouble

i have a 96 motorsport kitted 328i coupe for sale , 5spd auto $4500. but can supply manual a kit if needed for bit more

also have a 94 325i coupe with a faulty auto trans .(going cheap)

Id go for the 328

Is there any difference between a pre 96 328 and a post 96 328?

No majors I can think of, just facelifted grills and indicators, possibly ASC, and the later car may have rubber straps in the boot floor. The later cars will also have the black valve cover.

325i is m50. 328i is m52. 328i makes it's hp lower down and has more torque.

328i will smoke 325i hands down in a straight line. I would go for a 328i even just on the fact it uses the m52 alone. If you want a smaller motor, get the 323i. M52 2.5L.

325i is m50. 328i is m52. 328i makes it's hp lower down and has more torque.

328i will smoke 325i hands down in a straight line. I would go for a 328i even just on the fact it uses the m52 alone. If you want a smaller motor, get the 323i. M52 2.5L.

There is a 325i m52, produces 192bhp and 245 NM at 4200, 0-100kph is 8.0 seconds according to the BMW handbook, don't know the figures for the 328 though. On trips my 325i will do an easy 700kms on a full tank.

Thanks guys I definatley go for the 328 ,not a fan of autos, is the M52 belt driven cam or chain . damn already ordered the input bearing ,was bit noisy under exceleration Pity i didnt here ask first.

Thanks guys I definatley go for the 328 ,not a fan of autos, is the M52 belt driven cam or chain . damn already ordered the input bearing ,was bit noisy under exceleration Pity i didnt here ask first.

Chain driven