Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

M325i vs SR20DET.

I will take a few 20's now you have said, thanks :D

Hope they time some laps...

*Just got my trailing arms from my superstar drying rope in the garage. Group photo!!

Just realised I need some good non-drying 'Plasti-lube' type lube before the bushings slide in, don't want any chance of squeaks here.

post-1573-1242188187_thumb.jpg

post-1573-1242188216_thumb.jpg

Edited by Incary

nolathane lube/grease? cant remember what kinda rubber grease or what ever it is. i just got a couple of packets of it floating around my tool box from going on a nolathane spree atm.

As long as it doesn't dry out it'll be a go-er :D Will have to take a trip to placemakers. Or BNT, they always have good, though expensive, brands.

$NZD just rose to 0.61 $USD! Hell yes, GC haven't charged me yet so if that goes up another couple of cents tomorrow it'll save me like a box of beer haha.

I could of got 2 dozen if i had of waited 3days lol

Ahh thanks man, have another BMW yet?

A friend of mine has reserved them and the shocks so they are sold btw to anyone wanting them :)

Edited by Incary

Dropped into BNT to get some lube, 13 bucks.

Dropped into placemakers to put together a 'bushing presserineriner', 19bucks. If anyone from chch wants to push some bushings in, you can borrow the lube and bushing presserineriner no problem ;)

1M threaded rod and some washers.

post-1573-1242349342_thumb.jpg

SEIIIIKEN, LUBBER GLEASE!!

post-1573-1242349375_thumb.jpg

Lubed and ready to insert.

post-1573-1242349433_thumb.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

post-1573-1242349447_thumb.jpg

The red was meant to be. looks so good.

post-1573-1242349472_thumb.jpg

Ratchet spanner paying for itself in time gained.

post-1573-1242349493_thumb.jpg

Subframe in.

post-1573-1242349510_thumb.jpg

Ready to roll.

post-1573-1242349521_thumb.jpg

Yeah got an 01' 540i with motorsport extras.

Good to see the m325i is getting what it truly deserves. Good luck with the whole build.

Kiwi ingenuity ftw! Good on you for going so fast aswell.

Post up your hoari tool in this thread :)

Where are you planning to source your engine from man?

Depends on whether or not I go back to WA for a few months and do some more easy work for crazy money. If I don't I'll try track an engine down in NZ, might take a while.. But if I do, I'll get one shipped from germany/UK.. or even an S54 :o

Hahaha nice tastic, will do.

Easy work for crazy money? Doing what :o

Sweet project, I like the colour you painted your "suspensiony stuff".

I've been over there before and was very, very, very lucky to get an awesome job at a nickle smelter on 45 an hour 13 hours a day, 6 days a week. Hoping to get something simliar in july with the company I worked for :)

It's pretty rough, and the life is boring as, but you are only there for one thing - money. I have a billion stories about it, but those are for parties and such ha.. Such a loose town is Kalgoorlie.

Did u play 2up?

Pulled out the front struts today.

A few issues:

f**king f**king tie rods and ball joints hate to depart the strut. Took a lot of flame (my new favorite tool) and wacking. Didn't ruin any threads, just one nut has had it's height halved and it's width doubled from the hammer.

Also, I can't get the control arms off. The inner ball joint bolt is just spinning as I undo the 22mm nut on top of the front subframe.. No room too, annoying thing. Who knows how to get this nut off without a rattle gun?

Some pics :) Cause you can't have a build thread without summarising pics!

The brake cooling ducts were the first 'mod' I did to this car. Helps a lot, I was getting flames out of the wheels on the summit rd without them..

post-1573-1242442370_thumb.jpg

Hammer + wood + tie rod. This was early days, I has chips of wood everywhere now. Blow them away NWer!

post-1573-1242442406_thumb.jpg

Fav tool extreme close up

post-1573-1242442434_thumb.jpg

GC race camber/castor plate will fill that hole in well.

post-1573-1242442485_thumb.jpg

Sway, struts. Need spring compressor now. I'm not even sure how the shock stays in these things, will discover soon enough..

post-1573-1242442501_thumb.jpg

There is a keeper nut underneath that rubber boot.

You may need a pipe wrench to undo it though.

Ah yeah I found that nut some years ago :D But how is the shock actually secured in the strut housing? There's no bolt on the bottom.. Some kind of clip under the shock boot I guess.

^ Henry mate, the shock is threaded in to the strut, with a screw cap on the the top of the strut housing which keeps it all locked together

Oh sweet :D Thanks. Just wanted to make sence of it is all, no rush :)

I'm not sure that's the best backyard mechanic way of dealing with the ball joints. I've been taught to use a heavy hammer and hit on the side of the strut where the tapered part of the ball joint passes through (to shock it loose). You don't hit any part of the ball joint directly.

look at the picture of the flame - you'd hit the strut where it has previous hammer marks, to the left of the flame. Does that make sense?

I don't know any good tricks for dealing with the ball joint on the subframe, but would love to know one if someone can chime in.

^ Buy a balljoint splitter, makes the job a million times easier

If the balljoint is spinning when you try to undo the nut, just put a jack under the balljoint and put a bit of pressure on it and then undo it. Sometimes you have to put a fair bit of pressure on it (ie, almost lifting the car)