Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

M325i vs SR20DET.

WHOA! :blink: I think this project needs to be moved to the NASA section Henry :P

+1 DO A SKID

Amen Riley & Max ;)

Edited by Boost Junky

If that 18 kgs was on the roll center, there would be a torque of 0 Nm. So it makes sence to get all weight centralised. That's why I'm not taking out the floor sound deadening. Being below the roll centre (I believe) It actually helps roll the car into the corner (it helps the centre of gravity stay low, if it was taken out the CoG would rise), not out of it (think, like a motorbike)

I don't see how keeping weight in a car will make it corner better, regardless of how high/low it is. My extremely limited understanding of physics tells me that centripetal force = (m*v^2)/r. So reducing the mass of the car, will always reduce the centripetal force pulling it to the outside of the corner. Meaning the tyre's will handle a higher cornering speed before letting go. Dunno if that's logical or not.

damn engineers just showin off :P

when you going to start fabbing up your own suspension arms for optimum geometry huh? amateur.

seriously good sh*t, thing will handle like a bloody go-kart, mine was impressive enough with soft-ish springs and standard swaybars

Will follow up on the roll centre discussion later.. Just a quick UPDATE from the iPod:

Stuspenshin is coming. On USPS. When I got the AKG stuff sent on USPS, it took 5 working days... Wish me luck in not getting stung with too many taxes!!

I don't see how keeping weight in a car will make it corner better, regardless of how high/low it is. My extremely limited understanding of physics tells me that centripetal force = (m*v^2)/r. So reducing the mass of the car, will always reduce the centripetal force pulling it to the outside of the corner. Meaning the tyre's will handle a higher cornering speed before letting go. Dunno if that's logical or not.

Yes, you're right about the centripetal force. But having a centre of gravity that is closer to the suspensions roll center is beneficial too. It more evenly spreads the weight over each side set of tires during cornering.

To take this point to the extreme: Imagine a broom. If you hold the handle and have the sweeper end in the air (CoG far from the roll centre) and then run around in circles, you will get a hell of a lot of torque acting through your hand (the roll centre), if you take the same broom and hold the sweeping end and do the same thing, that roll effect is much less. Same principle as I'm trying to apply.

Also, imagine if the CoG was lower than the roll centre.. The car would 'swing' into corners just like a motorbike. Hard to understand but it happens. Nearly impossible to acheive though. I'll try and design perfect suspension in my later years here at Uni...

In the end I'll be lightening the car a hell of a lot and the sound deadening will go haha, but for now I know it's not too detrimental having it in.

Gustave explains roll centre and lowering well: http://www.e30m3project.com/e30m3performan...ht_transfer.htm

As well as a heap of other things. Great site. He chooses Ground Control for his M3 ;)

http://www.e30m3project.com/e30m3performan...sp/GC_susp1.htm

This was 19 hours ago. Should be in Auckland before the Le Mans 24 hour finishes!

Label/Receipt Number: CPxxxxxxxxxxUS

Class: Priority Mail International Parcels

Service(s): International Parcels

Your item left the United States from ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS) at 7:57 AM on June 13, 2009. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Detailed Results:

3. International Dispatch, June 13, 2009, 7:57 am, ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)

2. Arrival

1. Acceptance, June 11, 2009, 2:51 pm, SHINGLE SPRINGS, CA 95682

Cannot wait to get this kit in my hot little hands. I'll be one of the first with the newly re-designed camber-caster plate (oh and Riley :D ) There will be plently of pics ahaa. With symmetry.

Finally on their way Henry! :D be good to see some more progress on the suspension side of things! Hows that sunroof fix coming along?

Just busy as at the moment studying :( Will be seeing a fi-glass person this week I hope. The sunroof fix is almost as exciting as the coilovers ahaa. I think I'll get the cap made in black. Satin black.

Of course you are haha! Good to see your priorities are in teh right order though Henry ;)

Lol well thats good cause thats what will keep you motivated to finish it off, I know alot of the things ive done in my project havnt been that exciting to get past but had to be done :P

UPDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE

Goods are in Auckland. I got a letter from customs. Just been into the customs house here and paid the GST. Ouch...

TOMORROW OR FRIDAY YUS YUS YUS

Goods are in Auckland. I got a letter from customs. Just been into the customs house here and paid the GST. Ouch...

I feel your pain! I remember the GST on my kit was somewhat substantial as :wacko:

YES cant wait for a new toy!!!

It's here It's here It's here It's here It's here It's here It's here It's here It's here

I'm giddy. This is amazing gear. The quality, the design, the colours. So many bits to play with.

Pics soonish ;)

A box greeted me..

post-1573-1245384567_thumb.jpg

A mess was made..

post-1573-1245384588_thumb.jpg

Hells yes. The whole kit.

post-1573-1245384605_thumb.jpg

post-1573-1245384620_thumb.jpg

Test fit, lowest height.

post-1573-1245384628_thumb.jpg

Wound right up. Going to have about 3-4 inches of wheel travel. Excellent. Perfect balance will be attained.

post-1573-1245384643_thumb.jpg

Front mock up.

post-1573-1245384674_thumb.jpg

All there has to be done now to get it on the ground again is:

Half Shafts gunned up. (Untill I can get the car down again and torque the nuts)

Cut the spring perch off and weld the new perch on the bead of the old perch. Won't be shortening the housings yet.

Oh, and install all these new bits.

Might have a chilly head untill the sunfoof gets capped though ahaa.

Jealous?

nice! I wish I had some cash spare to do a project similar to yours

I'll trade you my awesome fun project for yours?????

:D

Get one of these kits for your S50 build.

Will have full, detailed report once I've thrashed the summit rd with it.

I thrashed Kemp Rd hillclimb with mine, even with my WTFBBQTIMEATTACK spring rates it dealt to broken surfaces quite well. Your spring rates would make it sublime!

Did they dyno match the shocks and springs for you too? :D

Welcome to t3h GC squad y0!

Yeah I did get the custom valving. I know now the order took a couple of weeks to send because of my longer special order springs, which is ok.

I hear fantastic things about the custom matched valving, things like you just said, so can't wait to scrape the Tech1 on some cliff roads ahaa

the colours

Haha - 'tis true.

Helpful tip - some of those fasteners are 'Merican - you'll need a 1/2" or 7/16", and I think the allen key bolt to adjust the rear height might be imperial too.

Edited by CamB