Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

M325i vs SR20DET.

Wouldnt be hard to copy at all.. Apparently the e34 trailing arm bolts are identical to the ones that i.e provide. You would just have to make the slotted plates.

Cheers

Chris

Dremel? I'll look into this.

Going to the dealership this week sometime to pick up a few needed things..

Well I have drawn it out. This would work like a charm.

The red is the bracket for the trailing arm, black is the subframe. The red line is the metal which might need to be added to make the bracket higher for when the slot gets dremelled out.. Yellow is where the old bolt hole is. Blue is the washer which would be welded in place on the bracket to hold the bolt in place at the top of the slot. My bolt in this pic has one end with 7 sides hahaha. Nevermind that.

This would be non-adjustable. But then again so is the stock set up, and even killing 1.5 deg of camber would help heaps.

The same thing could be done on the outside trailing arm bracket, but horizontal slot, to pull it backwards and fix some toe-out.

I'll see if I can be bothered doing this hahaha.

post-1573-1242033911_thumb.jpg

Edited by Incary

Some people do what you say ---> slot the hole, no eccentrics, adjust the camber and toe on an alignment machine, then weld the washers in place.

The key is the alignment machine.

Am I correct in saying that when an e30 is lowered it gains toe-out? So the outer brackets would have to be slotted backwards?

Oh and thanks tastic! But it is the same write up as the one on e30tech I've been reading haha :D

Nice work thus far Incary, she’s coming along bloody nicely.

I have fitted Whitline sway bars to two cars I have owned and they were fantastic, both were FWD and aided turn in dramatically.

How low are you going? I can recommend against too low if you like back roads, you can dial back the camber all you like but a -40mm will still handle like a steaming pile of poo on anything other than smooth bitumen. My old girl is lowered 30mm and is almost too low for my driving.

Toe in I think. That's my vote.

A fairly effective way to avoid rear toe/camber problems is to not lower the car too much. JiB and I had long arguments about this. He wanted baller low, I wanted his car to go around corners well and not bottom out.

Edited by CamB

I'll try find an old alingment sheet in the service history to see what it had before aye

*edit. Definitely not going too low eh, it ruins the way the struts operate if they go too low. I'd agree with you there :D

Nice work thus far Incary, she’s coming along bloody nicely.

I have fitted Whitline sway bars to two cars I have owned and they were fantastic, both were FWD and aided turn in dramatically.

How low are you going? I can recommend against too low if you like back roads, you can dial back the camber all you like but a -40mm will still handle like a steaming pile of poo on anything other than smooth bitumen. My old girl is lowered 30mm and is almost too low for my driving.

The ride height I have currently is perfect, maybe a little bit lower because the springs will be twice as stiff (I think, actually I have no idea what the rate is on king springs) But in the cars current form I can mutilate the summit rd and the front kit doesn't hit the ground, and that's a hell bumpy road. I'll add a pic....

post-1573-1242073963_thumb.jpg

Edited by Incary

Guest Ari Gold

Ran 450/700 spring rates (Eibach) with Koni adjustables. Had the camber tops of the front and had it set up quite nicely for my liking. When the whole lot was in together it was amazing.

Camber/toe correction kit is value for money.

Probably one of the best mods i did.

How were those rates on coromandel type roads chris?

Nice. Just a thought but you might not need rear camber correction if it’s not too low. If you are going 16x9 surley a bit of camber is good. KSMYRS’s car was fricken low.

Now for a quick build update :D

Much much sexier irl, trying to get good light on it with the point and shoot (Olympus 1030SW). SLR is a bit moody when it comes to paint covered hands and being underneath a dirty car on rough, lens smashing hard concrete. So proper pics will be in the final post of each stage..

post-1573-1242074762_thumb.jpg

Nice. Just a thought but you might not need rear camber correction if it’s not too low. If you are going 16x9 surley a bit of camber is good. KSMYRS’s car was fricken low.

You make a fine point. I am hunting down 16x8's now eh.. I think I'll leave the camber for now. Look at the paint work that'd have to get blasted off :D

Sam:

Spring rates were pretty sweet. Everything else was also tight as so it played out OK.

Although i think max stiffness may have contributed to my wheel getting bent?

Graham:

Yea my E30 was crazy low. Even though you would think that it would scrape etc, with everything as stiff as it was i never actually bottomed out that much. (I did with lowering springs and Boge shocks)

Incary:

You are spot on with your diagram, Cept mine were adjustable as I was so low and did it that way so if I wanted to raise it slightly I could dial camber/toe accordingly. You dont look to be running yours to 'baller' low so should be ok.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for that Chris,

Henry is my name, I'll add that now ha.

We have been getting some really nice cars/builds down here lately im loving it. Big fan of your car Henry, we will have to venture to the track some time I think!!

Awww hell yes. You'll have to wait up on the straight though!

For now... :D

Quick question to all those who like to share opinions, what do you think of these sideskirts? This is my old e30 and I still have these sideskirts in the garage, made by Kamei, pretty rare and I think they are awesome. Should I get them painted Lachsilber????????????????????

And I have emailed Autopassion here in Chch, and they can do a full set of braided lines for 322 bucks, going to go in and see if it's a 6 piece set and road legal. I just have front braided lines at the moment, and was about to get the rear lines made up...

post-1573-1242113549_thumb.jpg

post-1573-1242113564_thumb.jpg

Edited by Incary

The straights aren't that long at Ruapuna so I wont get to much ahead. Videos of the duel will be a must!! Cant wait till Sam's got his v8 going as well and we can go at it hard.

I'm going to say NO on those side skirts. Maybe if the slits or whatever they are were smoothed over.

I'll take you in the twisties :D Otherwise I've just wasted nearly 5g hahaha. haa. ha. Hmm.

Ok I'm selling the sideskirts.

The straights aren't that long at Ruapuna so I wont get to much ahead. Videos of the duel will be a must!! Cant wait till Sam's got his v8 going as well and we can go at it hard.

Haha yeah mate, we could hire out the track or go out on a test day with all three, that would be awesome!!

I'll take you in the twisties :D Otherwise I've just wasted nearly 5g hahaha. haa. ha. Hmm.

Ok I'm selling the sideskirts.

I'm sure yours will be a beast in the twisties!! Mines got some pretty decent suspension work as well but im sure yours will a good step up

And I have emailed Autopassion here in Chch, and they can do a full set of braided lines for 322 bucks, going to go in and see if it's a 6 piece set and road legal. I just have front braided lines at the moment, and was about to get the rear lines made up...

If you're gonna go for big brakes, why not wait till then to get braided lines? I paid for braided lines....then again when I went for big brakes :(

P.S. I'm at -2 deg rear camber, pretty even at the rear with no adjustment. But the toe is on the piss - might be worn bushes though

I think I'll buy that kit just to put the chassis-trailing arm lines on while the subframe is out. I can always sell the other 4 lines in the future :D I hope ha. Just gotta see if they are LTSA approved blah blah blah.

And I think I'll be leaving the camber correction stuff out this time... Later in the year when I have more space and equipment I'll sort it out. Road tires love camber anyway, won't be track racing for a while :)

Build update.

All the paint is dry, I'll be getting the bushings in maybe tonight and have it back in on friday. Can't do anything tomorrow cause I'm off to drive a FORMULA FORD and 13b N/A batty out at ruapuna, there will be photos. YUS. Birthday present from the girl :)

All the paint is dry, I'll be getting the bushings in maybe tonight and have it back in on friday. Can't do anything tomorrow cause I'm off to drive a FORMULA FORD and 13b N/A batty out at ruapuna, there will be photos. YUS. Birthday present from the girl :)

Its awesome fun mate, i got the same thing from my old man and had a total ball. you will love it.

+1 ... have done that too.... soooo much fun. Take some cash, cos I can guarantee you'll want to do extra laps.