Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

M325i vs SR20DET.

Ahhh cool, thanks for the heads up Cam. I'll fish out some of my imperial stuff from the bottom of the dusty box in the roof of garage underneath the 8 track player.

Ahaha.

Edited by Incary

Cant wait to get my toys off you!!! Oh and I just got my gearbox straight cut haha I didnt no my engineer was going to do it but he did!! And its not cheap but should shift sweet as a nut

Straight cut! That's awesome, you'll be able to throw it up gears with a quick lift off of the throttle, and the noise will be dreamy. UBER

Youll love every minute of that setup :) .. what pound eibach you running. Might be able to help you with dailing in the konis.

Straight cut gears are (immensely) strong, and whine - that's not why you can shift hard/fast/without clutch. Are you thinking of dog engagement, which you might have got too?

...struggling to find something decent. This will do:

http://www.carbibles.com/transmission_bible.html

Youll love every minute of that setup :) .. what pound eibach you running. Might be able to help you with dailing in the konis.

After researching a e30 setup for 2 years I came up with 350f/550r. Its a great ratio for balance and not too hard for Targa style duty.

I have no experience with adjustable suspension ahaa! was just going to play the full soft drive full hard drive front soft rear hard drive vice versa game until balance was found.

You have the same kit yes? How many turns from full stiff are you thinking? :)

*oh and this ones for Jonathan too, did you shorten the front struts or did you just get the perch welded on top of the old spring perch bead?

Edited by Incary

After researching a e30 setup for 2 years I came up with 350f/550r. Its a great ratio for balance and not too hard for Targa style duty.

I have no experience with adjustable suspension ahaa! was just going to play the full soft drive full hard drive front soft rear hard drive vice versa game until balance was found.

*oh and this ones for Jonathan too, did you shorten the front struts or did you just get the perch welded on top of the old spring perch bead?

Front struts for me were shortened a bit so that they were more evn with rear...but front now too low haha.

Um, my shocks came preadjusted based on the spring rates I was running. I haven't touched the rears, but have adjusted fronts to match my new springs.

Btw, gearbox's can be mapped to shift without dog engagement teeth. This means that dependent on engine speed, the next gear will always have a matching tooth to engage at full chat (no lift). This costs many many $$$ Some of the Formula Toyotas have this done if I remember correctly. I still do not understand it fully, as a Formula First driver was attempting to explain it to me over a bus ride :lol:

Otherwise, (iirc) there's an inbetween for helical and straight cut gears. They're not entirely helical but still diagonal and still called helical - basically really chunky barely helical gears, so they're a lot stronger than helical gearsets but have reduced noise. These are usually matched with dog collars for a hardcore street package.

Straight cut gears are (immensely) strong, and whine - that's not why you can shift hard/fast/without clutch. Are you thinking of dog engagement, which you might have got too?

...struggling to find something decent. This will do:

http://www.carbibles.com/transmission_bible.html

Id love to have a dog setup but its out of the question $$ wise, I only wanted to get some upgraded bearings and give it a freshen up but hes gone to the next step. At least I wont need to worry about it now lol

yeah same kit

Pic here.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....851&hl=5lug

With the shocks vs that spring rating. For road use you should be able to easily go full soft then dail up 1/3rd to 1/2 with out it being too hard. Full hardness in koni yellows can be a bit mental.

I have mine on full soft for road but im running 525 front and 700 pound rears.

Ahh yes thanks, was trying to search for those pics last night, I knew I'd seen them before.

Looks good, can definitly see the extra lenght my springs have. Are you certed/warranted with it? That wasn't a high priority when I decided on this set up.

Perch be gone!

I'll link this photo. 10 seconds at f/9 iso 100. Self timed ahaa.

Posted Image

Edited by Incary

Front struts for me were shortened a bit so that they were more evn with rear...but front now too low haha.

That's not quite right.

I've had quite a few sleeps since I measured it all up and cut them (someone else welded). Maybe what I seemed to remember needed to take into account:

- the Konis have a very short travel

- the springs are also very short

- so its hard to make them captive - the springs are so short they are captive only when they are fully wound up (edit - see below)

- therefore, when they are captive, without cutting the struts it would be sitting high (at least in JiB's case)

- so you cut and shorten the struts and the shock spacer that goes in the strut to make it lower

- however, in his case it still wasn't ideal (unfortunately I can't remember if the issue was sitting high, not captive, or too stiff) so 50mm longer and slightly softer springs bought.

He couldn't add tender springs or it would have gone from a bit stiff to mega too stiff. Actually, it can't have been captive, otherwise we wouldn't have considered tender springs. It must have been that the GC springs were so short that they couldn't be captive, even wound up.

Now it's mint, with longer springs.

Either way, sorry for the book-length and rambling reply.

So basically, measure a lot. Think about it a lot. Good luck.

Edited by CamB

Perch be gone!

I'll link this photo. 10 seconds at f/9 iso 100. Self timed ahaa.

Posted Image

I like the safety aspect of your workshop, ;) fire anyone :P

I like to live dangerously. In fact, my middle names are Fire Danger Extreme.

That's not quite right.

I've had quite a few sleeps since I measured it all up and cut them (someone else welded). Maybe what I seemed to remember needed to take into account:

- the Konis have a very short travel

- the springs are also very short

- so its hard to make them captive - the springs are so short they are captive only when they are fully wound up (edit - see below)

- therefore, when they are captive, without cutting the struts it would be sitting high (at least in JiB's case)

- so you cut and shorten the struts and the shock spacer that goes in the strut to make it lower

- however, in his case it still wasn't ideal (unfortunately I can't remember if the issue was sitting high, not captive, or too stiff) so 50mm longer and slightly softer springs bought.

He couldn't add tender springs or it would have gone from a bit stiff to mega too stiff. Actually, it can't have been captive, otherwise we wouldn't have considered tender springs. It must have been that the GC springs were so short that they couldn't be captive, even wound up.

Now it's mint, with longer springs.

Either way, sorry for the book-length and rambling reply.

So basically, measure a lot. Think about it a lot. Good luck.

Thanks for all that Cam, it wasn't book length heh, but good advice. I love experienced people.

From what I've read and seen over the past 2 years of research, and the fact that I have 50mm longer springs than 'stock' GC already, I will not be cutting the strut. And will be welding the perch on where it sits when the perch and height adjuster sits on the strut, and then turned upside down, to make the top of the adjuster level and parallel with the top of the strut. Tacked in place and welded with not too much amperage as not to bead up the inner of the tube, which negates shock insert entry.

And that's my internet based knowledge spewed into this thread.

As you were.

Drink is ON.

Henry Those camber tops are a nice bit of Kit

Riley and I fitted them to his shocks this morning

They are the hotness.

Excellent. Don't forget you can rotate the whole sliding piece 180 degrees in case things are getting in the way. It was probably the right way round though aha, smart GC people.

I have this damn kit sitting in front of me, it's so teasing. Need it to be monday so MPL are open for welding gah!

Wicked mate,how much roughly did the kit cost ya?

Excellent. Don't forget you can rotate the whole sliding piece 180 degrees in case things are getting in the way. It was probably the right way round though aha, smart GC people.

I have this damn kit sitting in front of me, it's so teasing. Need it to be monday so MPL are open for welding gah!

Get a welder Henry! :D

A guy I should be flatting with soon is buying one woot, just a Mig but a nice mig. Can't wait to reinforce some rear sway bar tabs :D

Wicked mate,how much roughly did the kit cost ya?

1499 american dollars, roughly 2400 2 weeks ago, now its almost 2300. Added up getting similar bits from NZ and it was over 3g, So I'm happy ahaaa (DCH motorsport wanted 1000 dollars for camber plates, I told them to check this out http://www.ground-control-store.com/produc...tegory.php/CA=8 )

Oh here's a good picture of why these plates are the uber sh*t. So much castor can be attained. High speed handling and the abilitly to run less static camber for straight line braking and tire wear will be maximised. (more caster = more camber when turning, for the noobies)

Posted Image

ooo tricky stuff, for the E30S50 the mounting points were re-drilled :P

Hahaha yes that is indeed one way to do it. You won't be heading to the warrant monkeys will you? Ahh the freedom of that.

The speed these shocks retract on full firm vs full soft is amazing. Can't wait to hit the track!

Castor ftmfw. I currently run 9deg castor :lol:

E30's are hilariously fun to drive with castor.