Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

IMAP Email with Gmail

I use a few email addresses i was looking for a way to have them all sync between my laptop, desktop, iphone and remote access via the internet. I don't have microsoft exchange or anything.

After some playing around i found gmail worked a treat once configured properly.

signatures and sorting (rules/filters) need to be improved but over all i'm pretty happy. I sync Calendar and Contact using google too.

Anyone else do this? what are your thought?

Guest Ari Gold

tell me more, I'd love to be able to check all my emails on my iPhone on the go

You can set up your iphone to check multiple accounts. what about using mobile me?

For some reason my ipod touch wont work with my gmail account..

Even though it has the g-mail option there!

Its screwed up!

Edited by KSMYRS

Im using it right now, i sync all 3 of my email accounts to my personal gmail, signatures in different colours are very useful to tell the difference between the account emails,just make sure if you do this to set it up so you reply to an email to the address it was sent to,Otherwise it gets confusing.. It seems to work pretty well with my itouch and is a very useful tool

i tried mobile me for a while and found it rubbish. and i couldn't send from my other email accounts, all i could do is forward them to my mobile me inbox, not ideal for business etc... not to mention the 4 months of teething problems it had, i was just plain put off.

Gmail is working well, it uses exchange protocol to sync contacts and calendar.

I installed an add on for firefox to get my different signatures for business email and the labels seem to work well with the outlook folders. Pretty damn good really.

I've got Gmail on my Iphone, using the Mail feature not the gmail app. I've also got my work email sync'd in via exchange (does contact/calender/tasks also), i've also got both my gf's and my gmail accounts going to our repective pc's outlook - while leaving a copy on gmail (option).

Yeah I use it too Ollie - 3x accounts.

Also have gmail going to my Outlook email with a rule that just flags the messages a different colour as they come in.

Only prob I have is everything I send from gmail comes through the Outlook aswell. Good if you want a record, bad if you send alot of mail and don't want to see it all twice.

Yeah I use it too Ollie - 3x accounts.

Also have gmail going to my Outlook email with a rule that just flags the messages a different colour as they come in.

Only prob I have is everything I send from gmail comes through the Outlook aswell. Good if you want a record, bad if you send alot of mail and don't want to see it all twice.

that's the thing, if you send it from gmail you have a copy of the sent item in outlook and vice versa. If you read it on your iphone it is marked as read in outlook and on gmail. The whole point is not doing anything twice, there is the odd delay now and then but i find it to be working well. perhaps you have it set up wrong?

I turned off send recieve for all incoming mail other than gmail and set the outgoing server to the gmail IMAP server, with sent items being saved in my gmail IMAP folders, infact all items are in IMAP folders. I use outlook rules to sort the email as it arrives on my computer (gmail filters are not as configurable) once outlook has sorted the mail into folders they are updated on all other devices.

The sorting thing isn't perfect especially if you intercept an email on gmail.com before outlook has put it into it's folder. not a biggie but something that could be solved with one simple change to gmail filters.

currently in gmail you can only give emails labels and not move them to a label (like a folder) the result is 2 copies of the email, 1 in the inbox and one in the label/folder. The good thing is though, google is constantly working on these things and i expect it to get better. For example they are working to remove the "from xxx@gmail.com on behalf of xxx@xtra.co.nz" so that it can just say "from xxx@xtra.co.nz" ...

I should clarify. I often use email as a way of transferring files from one PC to another - I'll send an email from one account to another with the file as an attachment which I can then download anywhere on webmail.

But as all my email is synced I get the sent item and the received item (double up). Also outlook ca't seem to distinguish between a sent and received item from the gmail account when working within gmail. Works fine the other way around. That could be a settings issue.

Its a fantastic tool - especially the java gmail app on my ph.