Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

The NEW ///M Motor in Depth

interesting article;

combustion technology has and is coming along way

one thing though'

another ///M first: Direct Injection. BMW has not offered Direct Injection on any naturally aspirated (non-turbo) motor in the US due to the sulfur content of US fuel and they do not plan on offering it on them in the future (as we have been told). So all of you on the fence about buying an ///M3 and fearing direct injection will be offered, can rest a little easier

whats the fear of direct injection?

i've only hear good things bout this injector setup.

anyone know different?

m

ed; spelling(again)

Edited by BM Weapon aka topcat

I think they have to run at INSANE pressure levels, like 2000+ psi. Makes fuel pumps quite the expensive and maybe not so reliable part..

I doubt that is why there is "fear" of it. You are right though - very very high pressures. Bosch NZ test direct injection injectors from behind bullet proof glass as if a hose or similar fails, the pressure of the fuel will cut through a person. That said, they are fairly safe, its just they are continually playing with them, so don't want to take the risk.

I think the "fear" is down to their intolerance of dirty fuel or fuel with a high level of impurities such as sulphur. People are afraid of the maintenance nightmare this might cause (not to mention the warranty probably won't cover it).

Awesome pictures in that article of the cut-away motor - talk about complex!!!!!!

Guest Simon*

I had always been of the opinion that the true ///M motors should be N/A too and like the screaming, high revving goodness of the current crop, but I have to take my hat off to the BMW engineers for the awesome development they are putting into these turboed motors. It's pretty impressive stuff.

Look at that twin scroll V8 and how they've designed it to keep overall size and engine bay displacement down too

I think they have to run at INSANE pressure levels, like 2000+ psi. Makes fuel pumps quite the expensive and maybe not so reliable part..

Yes the pressures are high - but the technology is similar to the common rail diesels which have been around for a few years now (so it isn't completely new territory for them). I wouldn't be overly concerned about the reliability at this stage - but they won't be cheap to repair if they do go!

the first to e30 swap this is a legend

I wonder how much of this tech came from there colaberation with Peugeot in development of the bmw diesels and 1.6turbo durect injection petrol engines (used in the 207 and I think the new mini). Peugeot being the world leaders in diesels at the moment and where the first to use common rail in production I think. It really sucks tho as Peugeot aren't allowed to release some models here (I.e. 4007) until the co-devolper (misty outlander) release there diesel veriant here in fear of competion.

I know the GDI mitsi are notorious for issues. I'd be buggered if I know what it is though. Realistically they don't have the most bullet proof motors in the first place. But I also suppose an extra hole in the cylinder (i.e to put the injector into) is going to be an engineering nightmare anyway.

Guest FrantiC

The pumps are usually mechanical and run off the motor, Like on diesel trucks. You can see the pump for it towards the bottem right if your facing the front off the engine. You can see on a rear view the lines from the injectors running there.

I think it's quite cool. Looks like a complete C*** if you had to work on it though. And would be interesting to see anyone try swap this into an e30..

It has got to the stage now with technoligy that you dont repair anything. Just like toasters, its cheaper to buy a new one. This is now starting to creep into the automtive industry as well. It becomes uneconomical to repair alot of things these days, including engines and transmissions.... just fit a new one...or buy a new car.... old car goes to people like Ray @ HELLBM