Sign in to follow this  
Sammy J

E30 SE v8 conversion

Have you tried assembling it? The 2.93 might be thicker if the matching pinion is a different size (smaller)? Am mentally struggling to see how smaller gives a taller ratio tho, so maybe I'm wrong.

have tried assembling it and it sits really far to one side and the bearings dont seit where they need to.

Sammy

Give Justin Neil a call, he is ex Durally Gears and was their top boy before he decided to work from home.

He is a wizard at this type of thing & was the dude who did an awesome job of the gearbox On Rileys 340i

<h1 class="org fn">Justin Neil Engineering Ltd</h1>

1036 Lower Styx Rd

Brooklands

(03) 3298518

Edited by Jimmy

time for an update,

Radiator is mounted in place and all plumbed up along with all the other plumbing. Have had a bit of difficulty with drive shafts and the PCD of the flange that bolts to the rubber donut being different but have fixed that by getting an aluminum one made up and pressing some rubber inserts with steel tube to absorb the vibration.

Have just put the 2.93 open diff in to get it on the road and driving for now.

exhaust is made up and bolted on..havnt started it yet <_<

Have put my set of wilwood brakes on! mm they are so nice haha!

If any of you guys are interested i have copied the brackets, hats, bolts etc that i used and kept all the part numbers to bolt straight onto an e30. So if anyone is interested PM me and i will get a quote for making a set up depending if you want all the hardware too or just the instillation kit.

items left on the to do list now are:

master cylinder under the dash

air filter

fluids

finish putting the dash and interior back together

cooling fan

washer bottle

overflow bottle

So the list is getting down to the final little things now so hopefully not much longer.

enjoy

post-2328-1251675704.jpg

post-2328-1251675769.jpg

post-2328-1251675784.jpg

post-2328-1251675796.jpg

post-2328-1251675809.jpg

post-2328-1251675822.jpg

post-2328-1251675836.jpg

Just over 2grand. And just incase anyone is wondering the red e30 is the 325i that was on trademe at miligan motors, my mate kerry who came to the meet just bought it :D

Edited by Sammy J

Just awesomeness!! you no when you were taking that photo out of the sun roof there was a cop directly across the road looking at you lol was so fuuny

Just awesomeness!! you no when you were taking that photo out of the sun roof there was a cop directly across the road looking at you lol was so fuuny

yeah i saw that when i sat down, it was a real oh f**k moment, cop must have been in a good mood though so its all good

Edited by Sammy J

yeah i saw that when i sat down, it was a real oh f**k moment, cop must have been in a good mood though so its all good

brakes look awesome sammy, I get mine fitted up on thursday, soo excited!

Well fellas its time for an update. To be honest not much has been happening just finishing off all the final little things that take all the time.

The dashboard etc is all back together, electric fan controller mounted and set up, exhaust is finished and painted, clutch is bled, air filter set up is sorted and worked perfectly, iS lip is getting prepped for paint this week and last but not least the brakes are sorted (master cylinder and all).

What i had to do was move the bracket over that holds the factory M/C about 60mm towards the outside of the car and remount the factory master cylinder in the new position.

This gives me a straight push using the existing linkage and M/C also being able to keep the factory bias and the advantage it looks much better than the other idea i had.

Im getting the cert guy to come and have a look for me on Thursday and explain everything to him. Fingers crossed everything is all good!

Once the cert fellow has been i will be down to Crowesport to get a full alignment and have the cars suspension set up by Trevor Crowe who used to race these and many other BMW's including the 635 JPS car from memory.

Hopefully he can set up and fix the rear camber so it handles good whilst being at the lower height. I'm also looking at getting some camber plates for the front, Any recommendations? Also will more than likely be having a strut brace made to fit straight across my motor with rose joints in it so i can apply some torque to keep the front stiff.

I have been trying to think of some personalized plate options, any ideas?

Cheers guys, pics to come on Thursday once everything's complete.

Edited by Sammy J

drive it to school once its done lol

haha yeah mate i will be, the boys have been waiting for it to finally be finished

Go with Vorshlag or Ground Control camber plates.

cheers i will have a look at them, you dont need to cert camber plates do you?

You are supposed to have a Cert for Camber plates yes. Ground control plates are for the ultra win, I may be biased (Well and they have caster adjustment and more camber adjustment than the Vorshlags)

The only way you'll get your rear camber sorted is with some offset trailing arm bushings or some serious trailing arm pivot point moving. But unless you are going to lower it excessively then you should be ok with 2-2.5 degrees back there for now. You'll need it for the track :D

You are supposed to have a Cert for Camber plates yes. Ground control plates are for the ultra win, I may be biased (Well and they have caster adjustment and more camber adjustment than the Vorshlags)

The only way you'll get your rear camber sorted is with some offset trailing arm bushings or some serious trailing arm pivot point moving. But unless you are going to lower it excessively then you should be ok with 2-2.5 degrees back there for now. You'll need it for the track :D

Im not planning to lower it any more than i have already but it wears out tires dam fast! what were a set of GC camber plates worth if you dont mind me asking?

Haha it's no secret!

http://www.ground-control-store.com/produc...tegory.php/CA=8

330 USD. Exchange rate is pretty good at the moment so they'd be a great deal. They are amazing plates really.

The rear is a different story. For a simple solution you may want to look at these:

http://www.akgmotorsport.com/e30products.html

About a 1/3rd of the way down: Rear Trailing Arm Bushings, Acentric

They will bring the camber back a bit, but you'll need to check them every now and again, they come out of adjustment. All I can recommend is Loctite and massive torque and good rubber grease and they should be sweet.

Edited by Incary

I got my Ground Control camber plates (FOR NORMAL TYPE SPRINGS) for about $550landed, and they are good no doubt

Hows it Sam ?

the only way to remove camber from the semi trailing arm is with a slotted adjustment setup on the sub frame.

Check out the IE kit, I reckon we could copy it and produce something locally ?

Riley has the offset rear camber bushings in his car, he still has mad 4deg camber. they probally work allright for a very mild adjustment but im not sure they are the way to go.

hey mate,

yeah i figured there would be slotting or something.. yeah i think we could do that.

How should we go about doing that?

If we can find the correct bolts & eccentric washers, its a matter of designing the plate that that the eccentric washer runs from so it forces the bolt up or down in the slot to correct for negative camber.

with a bit of time 3d modeling & a E30 sub frame & suspension arm to copy from I should be able to knock something together.

sweet well i can get bolts and anything from Blacks easily so we should head in there maybe and see what they have.

info here.

BMW Part # - 33321095102 - Eccentric Bolt

BMW Part # - 33321092310 - Eccentric Flat Washer

BMW Part # - 33326760668 - Self-Locking Collar Nut

Cant wait to see this!!!

Edited by antony

Cheers mate, appreciate it! will keep things updated with pics :D

James thats quite helpful and explains things...

Edited by Sammy J

that is some really good information, this is starting to look very reasonable to achieve,

Sam if you want to order a set of bolts I can use them to determine the size & shape of the brackets

(based off the photo i can reverse scale it as we already know the diameter of the bolt hole for reference)

then we can have a set machined up. & get them on a sub frame & try it out and see if it has enough adjustment.

I'm sure if we can do one as a test and confirm it, then we could do a a few extra brackets for various people that might need it ?