Sign in to follow this  
Sammy J

E30 SE v8 conversion

that is some really good information, this is starting to look very reasonable to achieve,

Sam if you want to order a set of bolts I can use them to determine the size & shape of the brackets

(based off the photo i can reverse scale it as we already know the diameter of the bolt hole for reference)

then we can have a set machined up. & get them on a sub frame & try it out and see if it has enough adjustment.

I'm sure if we can do one as a test and confirm it, then we could do a a few extra brackets for various people that might need it ?

yeah man ill head into bmw and get some bolts, should we to toe as well as camber?

Edited by Sammy J

Do both, nice to have things in spec with lots of power and expensive tires,

and to do the both at the same time is less effort in the long run than getting an alignment and finding both sides have wonky toe.

When i get back from Palmy North, we should take some measurements & find an old sub frame to do a trial run.

cut out some brackets by hand from a piece of steel, tack weld & try it out, before going and getting a whole heap milled out and finding we could have improved it.

Edited by Jimmy

sweet mate sounds like a plan. My cell is 021 301 394 flick me a text and we shall go from there. I agree about doing both at the same time that would save a hell a lot of time and effort. Maybe we could investigate what we were talking about 5 stud too.

Well well well... i have a brake pedal now! a very hard but nice pedal.

I have just got two brand new tires for the rear today as the others were camber shagged and managed to get my dash cluster back in too what a PITA job that is.

mounted a tricky electric fan controller with adjustable temp control which works a treat, oh and put a new bottom arm on as well as the ball joint was really sloppy, im thinking that being up on the hoist for so long damaged it.

I have one more wire to connect... black and white one that goes to behind the dash somewhere but cant find out what it does.

So the engineers coming over tomorrow afternoon to have a look and hopefully give it the pass(fingers crossed). i will be in a mad rush to put the golvebox and center consul back together so its nice and tidy for when he comes then il be off for its madin run!!! the day has finally come!

i will be sure to video it and hopefully its all good.

I also got my 2.93 specific lsd pack thanks to darren (SRBMW) thanks man, however talking to dch they say i will destroy it within two weeks if i dont give it to them and let them tighten up the lock or something... does this sound right??

Watch this space for pics and video soon:D

ive got a diff graham wound up for me a years back , still going strong , go see him , hes great at what he does.

You'll certainly burn out the clutch packs in the LSD. E30 LSD's are only good with fat rear sways, otherwise once one wheel loses a little contact with the road it'll start single spinning...

ive got a diff graham wound up for me a years back , still going strong , go see him , hes great at what he does.

Graham from DCH? sweet mate thanks for the advice.

You'll certainly burn out the clutch packs in the LSD. E30 LSD's are only good with fat rear sways, otherwise once one wheel loses a little contact with the road it'll start single spinning...

Hmm thats bit disappointing... especially since i looked at getting some bars from stocks today at $500+GST per bar that's expensive

Graham from DCH? sweet mate thanks for the advice.

yea thats the one .

sam tell me , did you fit an exhaust manifold in that tight squeeze of a engine bay? pic??

Yep i sure did! haha what a mission it was. umm think there is a pic with the motor out earlier in the thread but here is some anyway, they were extended and modified slightly once the engine was in the hole but they are relatively free flowing and the people i have spoken to say they are much much better than factory

EDIT: resize

post-2328-1254808078.jpg

post-2328-1254808086.jpg

Edited by Sammy J

Go to repco and get the 16mm adjustable Whiteline rear bar, can hook you up a great price, will make a hell of a difference, see my project thread for reviews on it :D Keep the front bar stock. Trust me on this, I have just put in a 24mm front and it's very excessive for road use...

Go to repco and get the 16mm adjustable Whiteline rear bar, can hook you up a great price, will make a hell of a difference, see my project thread for reviews on it :D Keep the front bar stock. Trust me on this, I have just put in a 24mm front and it's very excessive for road use...

sweet mate, sounds good will have a look into this! how great is a great price...

325 bukkers hopefully :D Will take 2-3 weeks to get here however...

sh*t yeah thats a great price. yeah times no worries need a bit to save some money after cert bla bla its a quick way to spend $1000, cert tires rego and wof lol

how'd it go with the engineer mate?

fell through said he was home sick or something :( but rescheduled for friday. which is not such a bad thing, gives me time to get her looking mint. first impressions and all.

fell through said he was home sick or something :( but rescheduled for friday. which is not such a bad thing, gives me time to get her looking mint. first impressions and all.

Bet your excited sammy, good luck for today with cert. cant wait to see this thing on the road.

Were all waiting for the 3 way BMW V8 Battle at Ruapuna :D

Hmm well bad news. In short the motor isnt running properly seems like its only on 7 cylinders. The engineer has come and had his look and all seems to be well so far, wants to take it for a drive before he passes it. I went for a little drive on Friday and found the following wrong.

Temp gauge doesn't seem to work.

needs a serious wheel alignment

not running right (needs ECU re flashed to run without auto too i think)

the pad wear sensors put into my wilwood pads

and that's about it.

To be honest i was expecting a longer list than that so im happy for now:)

Just hoping that my engine can be sorted soon and cheaply.

seriously short of money, between this and getting my harley engine freshened up and a 1550 big bore kit into it keeps me broke

Edited by Sammy J

Guest Simon*

Not bad first time out really Sam. Congrats on getting the beast moving :)

Looking forward to updates as you fix the gremlins

Thanks mate, yeah im glad there wasnt anything major!

Oh and i bought some clear lights for her too.

Stage One is nearly complete.

Im already collecting parts for Stage Two, really cant help myself.

check your spark plugs , coil plugs etc , and injectors plugs etc for a miss .

oil sitting down in the spark plug holes , also afm can fail sometimes , but they dont cause missing just splutering at idle etc.

those V8's run fine even when i unplug the trans computer etc

cheers mate, will be doing all this tomorow after school.

hey dude, as you are using the factory Master-Cylinder and only moving it 60mm, what brake-booster did you end up running? did you end up useíng the e34 one from 'Brent?

this is ausome, love how clean and factory it looks,

Cant wait to read more when you start Stage2 ! !