Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simon*

Travel Insurance - recommendations?

Guest Simon*

Hey guys

Am just checking through some online quotes now, but if anyone can recommend a good and cheap(ish) travel insurer I'd be pleased to hear about it.

I don't usually bother but I'm going to the deep dark Caribbean (hunting pirates ;)) and in these days of Swine Flu I want coverage for delays and dickarounds when I transit through the US.

Cheers

Si

Simon, try Southern Cross Travel Insurance

http://www.southerncross.co.nz/travel-insu...new-zealand.htm

They are very competitive and it can all be done online. They also do a discount if youre a Southern Cross Healthcare Member.

I used them a couple years ago when I went on my OE. Unfortunally I had to make a claim, which can sometimes be a PITA but they processed it quick smart, without any questions.

I now go with them everytime!

I got travel insurance just last week for my trip to Europe. Its with TravelSure, got it through Flight Center at the same time as I was paying for tickets. $239 for full insurance, no excess. Seems like a reasonable price.

Just apply for a VISA Gold card - comes with travel insurance.

Guest Simon*

I have enough trouble balancing my other 7 credit cards and multiple secret identities, passports, girlfriends ......

Might just K.I.S.S ;)

Guest Simon*

Oh and thanks to you guys above who chimed in too. Checked out SCTI but was not hugely impressed when compared to other online quotes, but will investigate further.

Semi unrelated but when I was looking at health insurance I spoke to my car insurer (AMI) who don't do health care but were able to recommend some companies that do. i.e. try calling a company you already have insurance with and see who they recommend.

FlyBuys travel insurance. Cheapest, when off to Oz last month.

No problem when had to claim about 3 years ago.

Edited by 318Touring

We have always used wither Mike Henry or SCTI (Southern Cross).

I'm not sure what the claims payout is like, we have needed to make one.

Cheers

Grant

+1 on that. ASB VISA gives you one hell of a lot of travel insurance for an extra $40 per year.... Compare that to the $200 Flight Centre wanted for a week in Australia for 2.

I had a claim on the company VISA in the UK and had a 1300 pound payout for 2 delayed bags (more than 24hrs)... No swindling, lying, bullshitting, begging or otherwise bending the truth involved either.

Never had to claim on the ASB card but I belive it is insured through Southern Cross.

Don't buy insurance from a travel agent - they have huge mark up on them.

As others have mentioned, credit card based policies work well. I have a GlobalPlus Gold Amex - as long as you book your flights using it, you are covered.

I went with World Nomads - had no problems with them paying out, though the small print only allowed a max of $250 per personal effect (excess was $100). The good thing about World Nomads is you can buy it after you leave NZ and renew online as you go, so there's the flexibility.

Have you had a look at AA's policies? When I looked last year they had an option to buy out the excess, no excess is quite nice and you don't pay much more for that option.

I had a claim on the company VISA in the UK and had a 1300 pound payout for 2 delayed bags (more than 24hrs)... No swindling, lying, bullshitting, begging or otherwise bending the truth involved either.

1300 pounds for delayed bags? How does that work? I got a piddly amount for buying essentials whilst waiting for my delayed bag to turn up :P

The Warehouse do cheap travel insurance. I sh*t you not.

Downunder travel insurace is also cheap. Your not going to Ausi so scrap that jem.

Edited by Apex

1300 pounds for delayed bags? How does that work? I got a piddly amount for buying essentials whilst waiting for my delayed bag to turn up :P

It was a business gold card and the policy stated that they would pay out up to 685 pounds for delayed baggage (which had to be 24hours or more from memory). Flew Paris to Prague (via Zurich) and bag never made the 2nd flight. Bugger me with a fish fork if it didn't happen again on the return flight via Brussels (although the delay was about a week on that one). Had to live in a t-shirt and jeans in the middle of the Czech winter....

Wouldn't have been anywhere as much profit in it for me if it had been Tokyo and I had to acquire a suit for an early meeting though.

With that kind of policy I'd wear everything I need or chuck it in hand luggage then pray for the baggage to be delayed ;) To be fair though 24 hours is quite long and other policies with a lower pay out have a shorter period before allowing a claim.

I've just been going through the same thing. Visa Gold card is the cheapest option but it wont be available to everyone, and they do raise your credit limit by a pretty decent amount (which I'd rather not have). As mentioned you normally have to pay for the flights with it. In my case I'd paid cash as the travel agent charged more for credit cards, but this was still ok as I had it in writing, and I switched to the Visa Gold on the same day I paid for the flights. It wont be any good if you pay for the flights then a few days before you go try and sort out a card.

Also worthwhile ringing the card company and letting them know where you're going, if they see unusual transaction from Kasakhstan or wherever they may cancel your card.