Sign in to follow this  
Nick Beulink

e36 318is more power suggestions

hey guys i have an 1994 e36 318is and have decided i would like a little more power out of it so can any one tell me what i can do to get the best velue for money from it.

buy my 300 hp M42 and bolt it in?

hey guys i have an 1994 e36 318is and have decided i would like a little more power out of it so can any one tell me what i can do to get the best velue for money from it.

It would help to know what sort of budget you have ......$1,000 or up to $20,000 ???

Then people could make the right suggestions

It would help to know what sort of budget you have ......$1,000 or up to $20,000 ???

Then people could make the right suggestions

I can't say i really have much of a budget im just trying to find out wat would be the best value for money but i gess i would prefur spending around $1,000 or as little as posable as im only a student, and as for what im looking for with the end result I want to keep my original engin but just want something that has more power to get up and go when needed.

With a budget of only $1,000.00 I would suggest you get you computer remapped.

If you live in Auckland then go and see Gavin at HiVelocity in Glenfield. You will find his phone number by searching the threads here.

With a budget of only $1,000.00 I would suggest you get you computer remapped.

If you live in Auckland then go and see Gavin at HiVelocity in Glenfield. You will find his phone number by searching the threads here.

yea i live in christchurch an have looked at geting my computer remaped/chiped but it would cost me $995 witch isn't bad but i would only end up with an extra 40hp witch isn't much bang for my buck

yea i live in christchurch an have looked at geting my computer remaped/chiped but it would cost me $995 witch isn't bad but i would only end up with an extra 40hp witch isn't much bang for my buck

save up and turbo it. a guy i know has an m42 in his e30 and he is making 300whp with stock internals, except for a different head gasket.

Are you kidding or what. 40hp for $1k is as good a value as you will get. Where did you get that figure from anyway?

40hp is quite a bit of a gain considering the engine is what? 138hp?

I think I might look into doing it if 40hp = $1000

i think you will find gains of about 10hp for a remap .

40hp would require alot more $$$ liek headers , cams , pistons etc .

i have a nice M44 engine 1.9L they have abit more torque .

$1250.

or fit a 2.5 or 2.8L with 5spd manual .

Are you kidding or what. 40hp for $1k is as good a value as you will get. Where did you get that figure from anyway?

sory i ment 20hp and i got this quote from autopassion.

save up and turbo it. a guy i know has an m42 in his e30 and he is making 300whp with stock internals, except for a different head gasket.

would you know anywhere that i could get a quote for this?

i think you will find gains of about 10hp for a remap .

40hp would require alot more $$$ liek headers , cams , pistons etc .

i have a nice M44 engine 1.9L they have abit more torque .

$1250.

or fit a 2.5 or 2.8L with 5spd manual .

the m44 is pritty much the same as my m42 but with only 3kW more power and 3Nm more torque so it isn't worth it for me but thanks anyway and as for a 2.5 or 2.8L i want to keep it an original (m42 or maybe a allreddy hotted up m44) DOHC engin in it, which is just my personal preference.

People ask these sort of questions all the time and the answer is always the same. TBH there is f**k all you can do to get a decent power increase with $1000. You'd be lucky to see 20hp gains with a remap, I'd be pretty suss of how safe it would be if it did.

There cold air intakes you can buy or make, exhaust can be improved also, though I think the M42 headers are actually pretty nice from factory. All up, without opening the engine 20hp is about the most you could expect.

Turbocharging is a very different game, lets just say $10k as a starting point.

I just dont understand the logic of sticking with the M42? The most sensible option is to buy a more powerful car, end of story.

People ask these sort of questions all the time and the answer is always the same. TBH there is f**k all you can do to get a decent power increase with $1000. You'd be lucky to see 20hp gains with a remap, I'd be pretty suss of how safe it would be if it did.

There cold air intakes you can buy or make, exhaust can be improved also, though I think the M42 headers are actually pretty nice from factory. All up, without opening the engine 20hp is about the most you could expect.

Turbocharging is a very different game, lets just say $10k as a starting point.

I just dont understand the logic of sticking with the M42? The most sensible option is to buy a more powerful car, end of story.

yea your prboly right there mate thanks.