Sign in to follow this  
soarer260@hotmail.com

Why do so many BMW's get 'killed' with 'Ghetto' wh

Title: Why do so many BMW's get 'killed' with 'Ghetto' wheels?

I just don't understand what is wrong with so many people these days.

While waiting for something this evening in Ellerslie, I noticed a nice BMW coming down Ladies Mile, it looked to be a late model E38 728i or another variation with a six cylinder engine.

Upon it getting closer, I thought wow, thats clean... but then shock hit my eyes as I got a good profile shot of the car. It had 18 or 19 inch nasty chrome wheels fitted to it, I mean they were just disgusting, that sort of 'acid' style they come in... <_<

It just really boggles my mind when I see this, as they instantly give the car a tacky appearance, I guess you find the answer as to why they have had these wheels put on by looking at the type of driver. Interestingly, they actually drove up and down Ellerslie a second time a few minutes later, obviously lost soles thinking they looked pretty 'cool'. Little did they know how revolted I was at the sight of that beautiful car being tarnished with those rolling monstrosities..

I wonder if the owner posts on here? Be great if they read this! :rolleyes:

Before some of you might say it...... Yes, some will say each to their own and all that bullshit, but the reality is that they DON'T look good by any means and take value off the car in my opinion......... do you see factory BMW's coming out with them? No because they are simply unattractive nor suitable for BMWs, they suit BBS style wheels and what not of that variation! It's called good taste.

Argh. I shall shut up now - but I do cringe heavily at this sort of thing! I'm sure I'm not alone.

Edited by Mike-E34

Might've been Ashkan in his E38, Lol.

Edited by Poontangsquibble

Everyone to their own opinion

What someone likes, may not be liked by someone else

the way it is with everything

to be honest i think your missing out :P

you know you want chromes

I agree with Brook, If thats how they like it then thats just how they'll have it.

Just give em a cringe + a sour look and move on. Nothing worth getting upset over.

Aw cmon.. Did you have to start another whinge-thread?

sigh............ another one of these debates :P

I for one, (and I am sure others on here) am starting to get sick of this chrome hating on here.

Personally I don't think you can beat a nice clean chrome wheel on a black car, they look hot! I think the major problem that people have on this website is probably not the chrome wheel, but more the style of the wheel. I wonder if you would all be so quick to judge if there were cars with chrome BBS wheels or M-pars? ( which I have seen)

Wheels are just like fashion, do you get all cringe worthy, have a moan, and make a post about it when you see guys in skinny jeans?? or a fat chick in a mini skirt with a muffin top?

People put wheels on their car because they want to individualise it, who are we to judge what they like. Just beacuse I don't like McDonalds, do you think I should go round making shouting out that McDonalds is shity and no-one should go and buy it. No!!, I respect the fact that other people like it, so I just keep my mouth shut and move on. No point in getting into a meaningless debate.

Chrome wheels were the fashionable thing to have, now it is black centres and in the next few months you will see 'time attack' come to the fore. New Zealander's are just a bunch of sheep really when it comes to wheel trends, we follow the rest of the world, but are about 2 years behind.

Here in NZ we have such a wide range of cars available to us via the used Japanese wheels. BMW and other 'prestigious' European brands simply do not have the 'prestige' value here, simply because they are so cheap and easy to buy. This is partly the reason why you see so many around.

Edit: Mike, maybe there is nothing wrong with other people, maybe it is you being old and out of touch :P (a bit like me lol). The reality is that the we have a culture that is very influenced by music and music videos. Hip Hop and Rap seem to be the most popular style of music today, and these videos feature cars with big chrome wheels. The 50's was when Rock & Roll started and that style of music influenced the boy racers back then too.

(Hmmmmm ...... may be I should go back to Uni and get my masters with this thesis:To what extent is car culture influenced by music?)

Don't get angry about it - just respect that fact that everyone is individual and has differeing tates. What a boring world we would live in if everyone and everything was the same. (I am sure there is a TV advert like this)

Edit (part 2): We also need to recognise the fact that NZ is made up of a huge variety of cultures. In some of these cultures, big shiny things (like chrome wheels) are a status symbol and viewed as as a sign of prosperity.

Edited by zenetti

delete this thread, chromes give you baller status

Posted Image

pretty sure as Zenetti said, its all in the style

Edited by Jamez

I will quickly throw my 2c in the ring before this gets closed...

Each to their own, if nobody had opinions/preferences we would all look the same car wise etc, how boring.

And if nobody liked chromes 40-50 years ago, there might've not even been a aftermarket wheel industry today.

Close the thread before it turns into a retarded off topic pay out match.

Debates, opinions, likes & dislikes are fine... JUST KEEP ANY PERSONAL ATTACKS AND LANGUAGE OFF THE BOARDS

Personaly I agree with Johno.....Each to their own. I quite like certain chrome wheels on certain cars

Posted Image

Those are HOT!

Forget the Chromies for the Homies, i think we should all invest in a set of grubby steel rims with the choice standard hub-caps! or for those wanting real street cred, get some chrome spinning hub-caps! ! !

although i still like the look of a nice set of Chrome rims on the larger bmw's. but dnt like them on the little 3series. each to their own. :blink:

I think the main problem is their are so many tacky magpie friendly wheels on sale. In general (not all :) ), younger people are always going to buy BMW / Merc / Audi etc and put shiny things on them. Its like when your a teenager put too much wax in your hair and turned out looking like sonic the hedgehog. When your a bit younger you always over do it. When I was this age this included me too.

I guess for me what make me angry about this... is once they have finished dragging the chassis all over the ground. There goes a perfectly good vehicle to stressed subframe / unibody damage.

There is no reason to close this thread unless people start to get personal. Both sides of the argument have their opinions so keep it clean and have a proper discussion about it.

Wheels are just like fashion, do you get all cringe worthy, have a moan, and make a post about it when you see ... a fat chick in a mini skirt with a muffin top?

Jeez, I'd spend half the night here if I did that... try driving through lower hutt for a living :lol:

I don't mind chrome on the right car... just those big flat looking wheels look weird to me.

I'm a "dish" man

Edited by blakamin

Each to their own.

I did see a rather nice E36 a couple of nights ago...with The Warehouse chrome spinners....*drool*

Posted Image

Chrome looks hot on the right rims. And right car for that matter.

Exactly as a lot of people have said, Its all in the design of the wheel. And 95% of the time the design is horribly tacky.

I'm all for the each to their own thing. People can do whatever they want with whatever they have.

Although I cringe when I see a stock standard e36 316 sedan dragging its ass on the ground lowered on 19" chromes. Its not cool IMO. Looks soo tacky, looks soo cheap, looks so wannabe. :rolleyes:

I am 17 and I'm soo f**kin happy I not going through the chromie lowering phase!

And to be honest, I laugh when I see one roll past. I find it quite amusing. :lol:

EACH TO THEIR OWN.

Edited by Nick021

Guest FrantiC

Yeah obviously not everyone is going to like everything, or the SAME thing.. Everyone is different and that's probably better that you don't see all the cars around here looking the EXACT same! Everybody goes for their own preferred look..

I bet there has been atleast one person who has looked at whatever you drive and had something bad to say about it "wow that things high blah blah those rims are ugly" etc.

Will there be a moan about fuh raze'd out ricers soon? I have "killed" my BMW with flouro coloured ricer parts. Oh noes.

I think it's interesting how people modify their cars, always a guessing game as to what kinda person they are.

If aforementioned sacked on chromiez squad have modified their BMW for the approval of others instead of their own, it's their loss. I reckon buying a BMW for the marque is also the same.

Generally the people who like chrome wheels are the ones who like putting a gold or silver wedge between their front teeth, tacky.

But when I think of chrome I think big flat plates covering most of the wheel... yuk! However I dont mind the sort like jamez where there is class and style in the design.

Generally the people who like chrome wheels are the ones who like putting a gold or silver wedge between their front teeth, tacky.

But when I think of chrome I think big flat plates covering most of the wheel... yuk! However I dont mind the sort like jamez where there is class and style in the design.

hey mate, by saying that and i quote " people who like chrome wheels are the ones who like putting a gold or silver wedge between their front teeth, tacky".

Aren't you being a bit impolite, id just say that there's so many people n everyone have there own way of saying and liking things, i guess we should keep our comments to our selves rather than getting all stressed about it and coming up with all sort of things.

Id say not all chromes look good and even those standard rims or mags sometime makes me say what a waste of money but guess its a individuals money and style and they could have what ever they like on there car and they feel a bit special after doing something to there car and just rolling down the street not giving a f*** what others think.

live life to the fullest and enjoy what u do.

Peace out

do you see factory BMW's coming out with them? No

Actually, yes.

Posted Image

I'd rather have a BMW on chromes than a sh*t car with nice wheels.