Sign in to follow this  
Andre3000

Interested in Stroking/Rebuilding

With my engine oil leak, and leaky gearbox i think its time to get a rebuild. Im not looking to go the forced induction way so stroking the motor is what i want to do.

I know there are the ireland engineering 3.1L kits, but they cost an arm and a leg. What are the fundamentals of stroking to 3.1 and is there a nz backyard way of doing it?

Also whos good to rebuild m20s, im in auckland.

If anyone has any links to forums where this has been done before, that would be great as i want some idea of what to expect, as ive had mixed reviews from several different people.

From the person who has a Ireland 3.1 kit.. don't do it.. don't. They are CRAP.

Go a nice 2.7 with really high compression (11:1) with nicely made pistons that work properly.

Call Gavin Bellars @ Hi Velocity.

Edit: See my racecar go faster thread in the Projects forum

Ok

Guest FrantiC

Posted Image

Alot of money will go into it, But it's not really cost effective for the gains you get..

What kind of gains would i expect on a 2.7 stroker with all the extras (flywheel, cams, ITB)?

What kind of gains would i expect on a 2.7 stroker with all the extras (flywheel, cams, ITB)?

200+ rwhp. But your looking at a 10 - 15k motor.

have a chat to boyd. his is a 2.7l and hes done it all properly. his has cost over 10k to build. last time he said he has around 122kw at the wheels.

I learnt last night a bloke called Will has 2.8 m52'd his e30.

He could be a man to talk to?

Got an oil leak - lets rebuild!!!!!!!!!!! I like your thinking!

I'm with the 2.7 build.

I learnt last night a bloke called Will has 2.8 m52'd his e30.

He could be a man to talk to?

Shhhhh

With my engine oil leak, and leaky gearbox i think its time to get a rebuild. Im not looking to go the forced induction way so stroking the motor is what i want to do.

I know there are the ireland engineering 3.1L kits, but they cost an arm and a leg. What are the fundamentals of stroking to 3.1 and is there a nz backyard way of doing it?

Patch up the Oil Leak and flog the car off, then buy a later model with a bigger engine.

[ you can do this on credit and drive it immediately ]

It'll be cheaper than a Stroker Motor to buy an E36 or E46 outright

If you did your maths you could "offset grind" the crank and Mix and match some smaller journal Jap rods etc

But the rebuild that goes with it, will set you back over $10K

Edited by Penry

Guest FrantiC

Patch up the Oil Leak and flog the car off, then buy a later model with a bigger engine.

[ you can do this on credit and drive it immediately ]

It'll be cheaper than a Stroker Motor to buy an E36 or E46 outright

If you did your maths you could "offset grind" the crank and Mix and match some smaller journal Jap rods etc

But the rebuild that goes with it, will set you back over $10K

Well then it's just not an e30 that way..

I would probably m50/m52 swap. Overall better, more up-to-date engine.

Kerry's right - E36 M3s are cheap as these days.

Kerry's right - E36 M3s are cheap as these days.

Thanks Andrew

But what I am really talking about is value for money here!

If he was a 100% E30 purist , he would be restoring it ,or looking for the "E30 Holy Grail" the M3 [ which costs $$$ ]

I'd could sell him my E36 Manual coupe [ with a spare stroker M50 motor still on the engine stand] for less than cost of most rebuilds

Speaking from experience here! "A Car is only as valuable as it's paint job" unless it has a significant history.

[ please don't confuse "A Car" with "Car Parts" ]

I have "parted out" plenty of cars over the years to recover the money I spent on them.

is there a nz backyard way of doing it?

This shows some of his motive [ to do it cheaper ] [ "the answer is Yes" ]

A M52 might be the way to go, but there will be hassles with LTSA etc and it will be money down the drain at resale time.

But if you don't need to open the Engine up [ to modify it ] it is certainly better than stroking

If I was swapping engines, I'd look at a M50B25 [ non-vanos]

They're cheap, they are a "top-end" engine with fatter cams, larger intake, & higher compression than the 2.8

No EWS issues, plus a Bosch DME intead of Siemens

And an Iron Block

Im not looking for a ridiculously fast e30. Id like the retain the m20 as i think an e30 is more valuable if it retains its stock look, which is what im trying to do.

I have thought of selling up and buying an m3 (e30), but until i have a spare 30ish k in my wallet i wont be doing this.

To sam, yes please. Think about my offer.

Im not looking for a ridiculously fast e30. Id like the retain the m20 as i think an e30 is more valuable if it retains its stock look, which is what im trying to do.

I have thought of selling up and buying an m3 (e30), but until i have a spare 30ish k in my wallet i wont be doing this.

To sam, yes please. Think about my offer.

Do the 2.8 with the M52 crank. Its the easiest as you can use your 325 pistons. With 272/284 cam, headers, 19lb injectors, ECU remap and tune and you should be in the 15-20% power increase range. Look for a 3.9:1 LSD, short shift kit and you will be smiling and not too out of pocket.