Sign in to follow this  
ssbmw

Unusual 635csi / M635csi

Hi Guys,

I found out that there was an unusual E24 for sale in Christchurch recently. It was being sold at the CCh Lotus dealership as an automatic E24 M6. Apparently the vehicle was a special factory order for a Japanese client who wanted the Motorsport M88/3 or S38 to power their 635csi, or they chose to invest in up-grading his or her 635csi into a pseudo M6 ( I believe it was the latter).

The Alpine White vehicle has the M-technic body-kit, has the proper M635csi front spoiler (different to the 635csi), m-tech suspension, and interestingly has the ///M logo on the dials (even though it was still set up for an automatic transmission with economy guage etc). There are some signs that this is car started its life as a 635csi - for example it has chrome mirrors ; the ///M 635's were given body colour-coded mirrors.

Now being a bit of a M635 nut, I want to know more about this car. I understand it has been sold to someone in Wellington.

I am intrigued ; back in their day there were some people keen on a ///m powered auto but this conflicted with the whole ethos of ///M cars and BMW Motorsport emphatically refused to produce one.

I believe this car may have the project of a wealthy enthusiastic Japanese person who was prepared to spend some money on a unique and special car.

I presume that the automatic transmission would have to have been beefed up to accomodate the extra horsepower.

I would love to know the Vin numbers to verify what it was originally (presumably a Japanese-market standard 635csi).

If anyone has info on this car, it would be great.

Regards,

SS

If you're really keen to find out more about the car, ring the Lotus dealership in Christchurch, see if they can tell you the rego plate number and then punch it in to CarJam

Pay for the full report on the vehicle and you'll find out it's VIN number, which can be decoded fully by a BMW dealer. And you'll also find out the current owners details, so you can ring them and chat about their purchase.

have some pics of one that was in japan a few years ago that i had the option of getting..

trans prob like the ones in the e23 M745i .

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Hey Brent,

Interesting, I am guessing only in Japan or Germany would you get these types of cars. As a matter of interest, what was the NZ price back then to import this car? And what is with that crazy steering wheel?

Around 2-3 years ago there was a Alpine White E23 745i at Turners in very good condition and I think it went for like $7k.

Edited by Penry

Hey Brent,

Interesting, I am guessing only in Japan or Germany would you get these types of cars. As a matter of interest, what was the NZ price back then to import this car? And what is with that crazy steering wheel?

Around 2-3 years ago there was a Alpine White E23 745i at Turners in very good condition and I think it went for like $7k.

hi .

not sure on the price for the e24 , i was just make a tender , but that was about 6 years ago now.

the e23 m745i that sold at turners 2 years ago went for 5k .

also another one or 2 sold for about the same in the last 2 years or so.

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i