Sign in to follow this  
Apex

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

It’s safe. It has been proven that you are 70% more visible with them on during the day, in a lot of European country’s its mandatory just like it is here for motorcyclists.

After studying up on it I now drive with my head lights on all the time, I figure if it it’s going to stop someone from raping my pride and joy with their Toyota Enema im all for it.

I have to agree here. I used to be a rep and spent a lot of time driving around the North Island. I can't remember the amount of times I had to slow down and pull over to the left of the road cos some moron was overtaking a car coming towards me. I started driving with my lights on and the number of 'near misses' just about disappeared! Now everytime I go on a roadtrip, the lights go on! If I have front 'fogs' they go on too - I am all about making myself as visible as possible to oncoming traffic.

What a legend! My hero. Bet you have retro fit HID's also :lol:

No chance anyone is going to hit you, they will be in a ditch.

I have to say front fogs are a bugbear of mine too.

Especially SUVs as they are higher and shoot right in my face.

The law used to be that any 'extra' lights, eg Fog or driving lights, had to turn off with the dipswitch, but it seems since the flood of Jap imports with separately wired fogs, the powers that be have let this go.

I don't mind people using them if they need them, but please show some consideration for fellow drivers and turn them off when you dip the mains.

To be honest I think most people have them on, cause they think it looks cool, but that is the same argument as the people who smoke cause they think it is cool, in both cases they are just dickheads!

/rant

rear fogs are at least as bright as brake lights.....

Mine are about 3 times as bright, and I only have one bulb working

I forget that they are turned on most of the time.

One dial on each side of the steering wheels is too complex for me.

Plus the temperature controls....the music playing, people in my car, winding my windows up and down every so often to make sure my car isn't making a bad noise. Way too much attention grabbing, to have to worry about if they are turned on or not. ^_^

Besides, I live-ish? in the Waikato. I have a reason to use my fog lights, late at night, driving through Morrinsville and Matamata backroads, come in handy for avoiding hedgehogs and road kill.

What a legend! My hero. Bet you have retro fit HID's also :lol:

No chance anyone is going to hit you, they will be in a ditch.

I do.

In a ditch? I call it natural selection.

I agree with zenetti. Be as visible as possible.

I won't be turning my fogs off. They've been aimed properly by the AA testing station.

Proper fogs won't shine in your eyes. As said they cut below fog lighting the ground right in front and to the sides of the car. The real problem is driving lights, the big round f**kers on the front of holdens, subarus etc. They're not aimed and they are really blinding. Not designed to be on all the time.

HID's are a bugger. If you think us who turn our fogs on are knobs what about those who retrofit illegal HID's which you can't aim at all.

HID's are a bugger. If you think us who turn our fogs on are knobs what about those who retrofit illegal HID's which you can't aim at all.

When I first got my E46 I noticed the standard headlights were sh*t poor.

Retrofitted HID with the units angled down (using the knob on the 2-1-0 roller on the dashboard) is FAR better and not blinding to other drivers when city/normal driving.

When driving 3am through Auckland to Whakatane via Matamata I haved them rolled up -at least I can SEE the cow on the road and have time to avoid it before I smash into it. Has happened on more than 1 occasion.

Edited by OSiRiS

Lots of conjecture about what's legal and what's not.

The lighting rules are clear. Visit the ltsa website and look at the "getting your lights right" factsheet. Tells you all you need to know about foglight operation and aiming rules.

As far as using them when it's not foggy - the rules are clear here also. About 3 years ago the cops did a blitz fining anyone driving with them on during clear conditions. Once they've gotten bored of chasing europlates I bet they'll go back onto foglights again.

You can adjust them dude.

Just like a normal headlight there are beam adjustment screws (or whatever the car in question has)

I've got my "omgwtfsomethingblueisdrivingatme headlights" aimed low enough not to bother other motorists. Theres still good beam range, and they sit a little below where "VTNZ" would have them aimed.

I dont really mind the hate about ghetto fitted HID's. They're 10000000983148234087236x better than the two candles my E30 had before

:D

Edited by Mattzy

HID's in standard headlights aren't focused. Therefore the light scatters. While you may be able to aim the main beam of the light it still gets other drivers.

Hybrid knows a lot about HID's. He's retrofitted them properly into his headlights from memory.

HID's in standard headlights aren't focused. Therefore the light scatters. While you may be able to aim the main beam of the light it still gets other drivers.

Hybrid knows a lot about HID's. He's retrofitted them properly into his headlights from memory.

Yes it scatters, to the sides. If aimed low it isn't going to shine into the eyes of oncoming drivers.

The only retinas that are going to fry is if you are standing on the side of the road in the middle of the night.

Its not that the HID's are so bright that they blind you, its more when they are coming towards you and they go over a bump or somthing and they "sparkle" and get you in the eye and distract you, same when they are following you and get random flashes of light in the rear vision mirror that distracts you.

Of course if someone is coming towards you with their HID's on high beam then you are compeltely blinded, not like normal bulbs that if they are on high beam you can actually still see where you are going.

Yeah dude your totally right. But if you've got enough adjustment you can do so much as to make the difference negligible in terms of "dazzling" between standard and aftermarket kit.

IMO anyway.

Its not that the HID's are so bright that they blind you, its more when they are coming towards you and they go over a bump or somthing and they "sparkle" and get you in the eye and distract you, same when they are following you and get random flashes of light in the rear vision mirror that distracts you.

Here are my suggestions;

B) Suspension in the car that "sparkled" -put UNCUT springs back in OR fix leaky susension

B) Fix the BUMP in the road -directed at NZTA

B) Remove rear vision mirror

To be honest, I have seen this "sparkle" you are talking about, and it is no different from standard or retrofit HID. Nor is it any different if it is standard candles or HID.

Of course if someone is coming towards you with their HID's on high beam then you are compeltely blinded, not like normal bulbs that if they are on high beam you can actually still see where you are going.

Wait, what?

I don't really want to get into a big discussion.

Lowering the aim is obviously going to take the majority of the scattered light away from the eyes of other drivers, I acknowledge that. But the focus is never going to be perfect without modifying the headlight.

Only lights I find annoying is those Audi Rice Lights. What are you trying to do? Make your car look like a Mac Truck? Also not a fan of retrofitted Halo lights. Unless they originally came on that model of BMW.

But to be honest. If you are being 'dazzled' that badly by any lights while night driving I suggest you get your eyes checked and avoid driving at night.

And all this time I thought people fitted HID’s so that they could gain admiration from teenagers and people that are attracted to shiny objects, or an attempt to make it look as if they can afford a much better car than they actually own. I was so wrong. It was for added vision the whole time!

I have no problem with the headlights on my E30 nor do I have a problem with the stock E46 lights, the stock lights on the last E46 I had were actually bloody good. And im blind as a bat.

And im blind as a bat.

That renders all your arguments and opinions on lighting in this thread and any other thread on BS null.

No pun intended.

And all this time I thought people fitted HID’s so that they could gain admiration from teenagers and people that are attracted to shiny objects, or an attempt to make it look as if they can afford a much better car than they actually own.

Damn you got me. :lol:

God this thread is awesome.

I LOVE THE PASSION ABOUT HEADLIGHTS!

Drive with whatever lights on you want. Just smile knowingly to yourself if you happen to be ticketed. Cops just don't get how cool your lights look.

I wish I could have UV fog lights on the front. Now that would be cool

Yes, it is quite funny.

I was only really bitching about rear fogs… everything else doesn’t bother me too much, anyone coming towards me with retro HID’s of fogs get a dose high beam.

I’d feel a prick high beaming someone with their rear fogs on as im sure most people don’t realise they have them on. Was as the title suggests a request to take note that its actually really annoying.