Sign in to follow this  
martzman

Aftermarket air intakes

I know that this topic has come up many times before, but I want to hear your thoughts on what type of cold air intake you would buy (or preferably have bought). I am looking to put an aftermarket system on my m3 evo but there are heaps of options out there. I have heard alot about brands from the US such as ECIS, Conforti etc. I am after a high quality look ie. hamann however I am not willing to fork out $2000. Any ideas? GruppeM, Dinan? Anyone have or know alot about any of these systems? Anyone know where to source these from within NZ?

I'm not sure of their names, but i believe there are some companies that will build custom air intake systems for your cars, to a professional level. (Based around induction systems for race cars)

or ive have seen this, LINK

I have a K&N cold air box (model 57I-1000) for my 328i and it sounds fantastic!! Direct bolt in.

See here: http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57I-1000

Heres a similar one on trademe. Only difference is the pod itself I think: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-222682066.htm

But I wouldn't pay that to be honest. In reality I might've gained all of 5 horsepower, but sh*t she sounds great. I paid about half of that kit on trademe. 2nd hand brand new from a bloke that imported one that didn't fit his car.

I got lucky.

Cold air boxes are hot. Do it.

On my e46 I have something very similar to THIS (came with the car)

I believe Glenn has one on his e36 328ti

GruppeM Here Your looking at around $1300 + shipping + any tax Brand new

Dinan Here Around 700 + Shipping + any tax Brand new

I have a K&N cold air box (model 57I-1000) for my 328i and it sounds fantastic!! Direct bolt in.

See here: http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57I-1000

Heres a similar one on trademe. Only difference is the pod itself I think: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-222682066.htm

But I wouldn't pay that to be honest. In reality I might've gained all of 5 horsepower, but sh*t she sounds great. I paid about half of that kit on trademe. 2nd hand brand new from a bloke that imported one that didn't fit his car.

I got lucky.

Cold air boxes are hot. Do it.

Yeah have seen that one as you said a bit pricey for a K&N but good to hear it sounds great as the main reasons I am after one is for sound and looks, as any performance gains will be so slight I don't think it would be noticeable.

On my e46 I have something very similar to THIS (came with the car)

I believe Glenn has one on his e36 328ti

GruppeM Here Your looking at around $1300 + shipping + any tax Brand new

Dinan Here Around 700 + Shipping + any tax Brand new

Yeah GruppeM a bit expensive. Dinan could be in my price range I dont want to spend much more than $800. Was hoping to source something within NZ.

What does yours sound like? Does it look good when its on?

Yeah GruppeM a bit expensive. Dinan could be in my price range I dont want to spend much more than $800. Was hoping to source something within NZ.

What does yours sound like? Does it look good when its on?

It sounds great xD

Here are some piccys

post-3372-1244615070_thumb.jpg

post-3372-1244615144_thumb.jpg

It sounds great xD

Here are some piccys

Yeah that looks nice, very clean. Do you know what make it is? Looks nicer than the Simota because it doesnt have any writing or logos on it.

Sorry mate wouldnt have a clue will look for a makers mark tomorrow though

It sounds great xD

Here are some piccys

Why haven't you removed the stock intake scoop?

Edited by André3000

Why haven't you removed the stock intake scoop?

I did it yesterday actually, I hadnt thought of removing it before then lol

OT but man Jordy your car is badass.

Didn't realise it had so much work done to it....mods in sig FTMFW

^ What he said

Edited by André3000

I would be looking at a Simota Carbon intake for the M3, they are just as good or if not better than the American stuff as they are a direct copy. A few have them on here and they are top quality, from memory they are around $400. Broom fish Motorsport bring them in but im sure a couple of our forum sponsors could sort you out.

Glenn from Botany Motor Worx has one on his 328TI and it sounds horn!

EDIT. My spelling is so bad!

Edited by Apex

It seems you can pay alot for an air intake system which is little more than a pod filter and a bent shield. I mean $2000 come on! Brand (as with most things) is what you are spending your money on. I made my own shield with pod filter for a 10th of the price top brand systems demand, and achieved essentially the same thing.

The sound of a good system is addictive tho....

this is what I have on mine-

and it sounds ok too-

Show off <_< haha..

post-1129-1245252207_thumb.jpgThis is my Simota CAI Edited by *Glenn*

If you just want to increase the induction noise rip out the baffle in the OE box

Is this going to cost power or performance on a 98 m3?

Can you explain how to do this without doing any damage please?

Thanks

Au contraire.

A friend has a program on his laptop that he rigs up to tune his cars, and for the sake of an argument one day we rigged a temp monitor in my k&n pod filter itself, and used his laptop to record temperatures sucked in. As a control, we put a temp monitor outside the cai (stuck to the side of it nearest the engine), and went for a drive.

Only below 5km/h did the temp monitor show anything remotely near the engine temp. And even then it wasn't even very close.

At speeds over 30km/h the temp inside the pod was cool enough to keep beer respectable.