Sign in to follow this  
allan

Computer help!

Hi need some help please. A little back ground info, my computer began to slow down, did the defrag, cleaned the disc, cleared cookies etc. but it did not work. Had it checked out and found the hard drive was failing, this was replaced with a new hard drive and the information transferred from the old drive to the new one. Came to start it up and Windows needs to be activated, using the software and key from my old (no longer going) laptop - as can't find desktop's key. Went through the process only to find that, Microsoft will not allow the registration as the laptop software was a pre-sale installation licence and therefore even though it is my laptop and programme (no longer in use) it cannot be transferred to my desktop. It seems that I own the windows software only provided it is on the laptop. Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome.

Allan

Hi need some help please. A little back ground info, my computer began to slow down, did the defrag, cleaned the disc, cleared cookies etc. but it did not work. Had it checked out and found the hard drive was failing, this was replaced with a new hard drive and the information transferred from the old drive to the new one. Came to start it up and Windows needs to be activated, using the software and key from my old (no longer going) laptop - as can't find desktop's key. Went through the process only to find that, Microsoft will not allow the registration as the laptop software was a pre-sale installation licence and therefore even though it is my laptop and programme (no longer in use) it cannot be transferred to my desktop. It seems that I own the windows software only provided it is on the laptop. Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome.

Allan

You could try to ring MS and tell them your story - but I suspect they have heard this one a few times now...

Get the Windows 7 RC with a 1 year "free" license from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

call up microsoft nz (using the number it tell`s you) and say your doing a re-installation, they have never asked me any question's and ive used the same copy about 10 times now.

Edited by Jamez

If they ask just say you have put a new harddrive into your pc. You don't need to really disclose anymore information than that.

Office and Windows have a limit to the number of times it can be automatically activated before you need to call them and get them to provide you with a new activiation key. Never had a problem in the 20+ times i've had to call them.

Just tell them you have re-installed windows and it's asking you for the key.

Do you have to original installation disc?

If so you can get a new serial if you give the number which is lasered into the disc on the clear part at the middle.

If not do what the others are saying. Microsoft are not really worried about XP any more so getting a new serial should not be a problem, I presume it is running XP as a hard drive should last more than a couple of years.

Is the old hard drive still operating. If so you can put it back into your computer and use magicjellybean (google it) to get the original serial number. There are other products that will get XP serial and other serials you may have, if needed I will post it up for you. May edit this post anyways with the download link.

Product key explorer

http://rapidshare.com/files/240421095/P.K.E.2.1.9.0.rar.html
Edited by sp8s

or since it was a laptop it should have the sticker with the serial on the bottom side.

It is most likely an OEM license and tied back to the laptop hardware. If so, it isn't transferrable to another PC (I believe it checks manufacturers and serial numbers etc - the serial number is manufacturer specific).

Worst case http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Softwar...n-223488293.htm or you find the original license key (not a label stuck to the bottom of the PC is there?).

Edit: if the other hard drive can be massaged into life one last time, you can install Belarc Advisor which will give a list of all the software keys installed....

Edited by elmarco

When I worked for MS New Zealand many moons back. If you could provide any proof of purchase we could supply you with a key. Give them a yell. They are based in Aussie now though. Can take time though.

But if the Disc was supplied with the computer like the others have suggested. You could try calling the manufacturer. E.g. Dell, Hp, Compaq etc...

Linux FTW

all software is free and no annoying virus scanners, and runs faster, and dont need to defrag either

macs are waaay overpriced for what they are, and steve jobs and bill gates are too rich anyhoo

I have a brand new (still in sealed packet) Microsoft XP home & office edition you can have for $50

It is most likely an OEM license and tied back to the laptop hardware. If so, it isn't transferrable to another PC (I believe it checks manufacturers and serial numbers etc - the serial number is manufacturer specific).

Worst case http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Softwar...n-223488293.htm or you find the original license key (not a label stuck to the bottom of the PC is there?).

Edit: if the other hard drive can be massaged into life one last time, you can install Belarc Advisor which will give a list of all the software keys installed....

There was 3 different types of the 2 XP's avialable OEM, Retail, and Corp there is a small file that identifies what version you have. If you try to use a OEM licence key on a Retail copy of XP it will not work and likewise for the other 3 vesions. Are you installing XP from your original laptop discs? 

If the laptop has a key underneath, use that, and tell microsoft it is your laptop... I've done this before.

Last time I rang them it was just a machine, not a person. You just listen to the prompts, answer the questions about weather it is installed on another machine ( say NO of course ) Enter your key ( Sticker should be on bottom of laptop ) and the machine reads you back a new number.

My understanding of the issue is that he has replaced a hard drive, and reinstalled Windows. On activating Windows, he has used a licence key from another machine (a laptop he owns which is DOA) as he can't find the original license key for the particular machine that has fallen over.

I still suspect that the license key used was tied to the specific laptop hardware and can't be used for anything except that laptop. Could be wrong, but I have come close to falling into this trap before....

If Glenn has a full copy for $50, that will solve the problem.

I still suspect that the license key used was tied to the specific laptop hardware and can't be used for anything except that laptop.

The licence key isn't tied to hardware... It's an algorithim. As stated before, the key will no doubt be for an OEM install (same as what comes with new pc's / laptops), so if he used a different version of XP i.e. a retail version or corperate version it will not work. 

If you did use an OEM version i.e. the XP that came with the laptop the key will be valid regardless of what the machine is installed on (desktop/laptop/rack mounted), it will be the activation key that will be causing the problem. Typically you get 5 installs before the internet activation doesn't work, at that point you call MS and punch in the numbers and wait for the automatied service to either give you the numbers you need or tell you it's been activated too many times - at which point the automatied service will pass you onto an operator. Tell the operator your re-installing the operating system onto you machine after getting a new harddrive for your laptop. 

The OEM versions typically have specfic drivers for that model of pc you bought so you don't need to download drivers to get the system working, thats typically the only differance other than a different algorithim to the retail version.

With Vista, you can use any version of Vista to install with as the key will unlock or lock features of the OS. Vista Enterprise is the only one that doesn't work that way.

Glen have sent you a PM.

Thanks fellows for all your help.

had this exact problem too Allan.In the end the daughter rang a number and got a replacement key,