Sign in to follow this  
E30-323ti

URETHANE BUSHES

Installation for anyones whose interested.....i had to replace a rear trailing arm of mine....ended up getting carried away and deciding to do my urethane bushes......heres how

take out both rear trailing arms.

remove diff, then unbolt the subframe from the sides and remove...its actually pretty easy and surprisingly light....take the subframe to your local friendly bmw mechanic and get them to press the big bushes in.....go home.....use a drill to non-verbally persuade your old bushes out of the trailing arms...its not hard prob 5-10 mins per bush, now i didnt do this first....but lube up the trailing arm bushes with either soapy water or the lube in the box.....i made myself a press AFTER i put the bushes in....use two big square spacers from place makers and a bolt to go through...use your imagination its not too difficult or just borrow mine....press them in and once they are in to your satisfaction (mine didnt go the whole way in...have to try get them in the subframe tomorrow morn) put the metal bar through and your done....now put the whole rear end back together (it takes a while)....ive still gotta do the fronts tomorrow and ill let you know what the ride is like

gus

Sounds pretty straight forward Gus.

Did you have a look at the rear brake hoses (from the body to the trailing arm)?? As now would be a ggod time to replace them if need be.

I hope you have taken some good photos for us!?!?!

How much did the new trailing arm set you back?? Was it complete (brakes etc...)???

yeah my brake hoses seemed sweet as...no probs there.....um..no photos sorry! :wub: .....ive been too dirty/pissed off to take pictures.....in the process of getting the left trailing arm on again....the right went on easy the left is the replacement on...all up cost me a hundy for the arm complete with brake caliper and disc and handbrake cable plus an oil cooler and some misc bits of interior trim.....cant wait to start on the front of my car :rolleyes:

$100 for a complete trailing arm!?!?!

Where from??

I got quoted $500 for a E36 compact one, rip off bastards!! Eurospares I think!!

Guest Andrew

$100 for a complete trailing arm!?!?!

Where from??

I got quoted $500 for a E36 compact one, rip off bastards!! Eurospares I think!!

try BMTown or SD European.. they will be a bit cheaper.

got it from gmmcormack on this forum with all the bits and bobs attached...from haico at german automotive it was 150....and i got all the attachments to make life easier.....why u want the e36 compact? they use the same rear subframe system....i remember reading something but i cant remember...what u got up your sleeve glenn!

just been for a bit of a wee drive with the rear bushes in....dont have front ones yet.....but i need more appraisal....unfortunately its really wet now......too be honest its a bit dodge in the wet....the back is a lot more firm.....will more readily wheel spin in 2nd at 70......could be due to the new tyres i have being 195/60R14's (were bald 195/65R14's) but yeah....i think in the dry and doing some decent cornering i will be able to give a slightly better appraisal...looking forward to the fronts going in as well

Sign in to follow this