Sign in to follow this  
E30-323ti

URETHANE BUSHES

I'm looking at getting some urethane bushes from the UK or US (who ever is cheaper) for my E30.

Who is interested in getting some also.

I'll be getting:

Front offset control arm bushes

rear trailing arm bushes (can get eccentric ones for toe/camber adjustment)

rear subframe bushes

put your hand up and I can talk $$ to some people.

Guest Spargo

Are you talking about poly-bushes for the rear subframe? Is it worth living with the appaling squeeking?

I'm up for some M3 front control arm bushes.

when you put your foot on the gas and the car changes lane for you, I'd say it is worth it.

I actually haven't heard anything about squeeking bushes, they usually come with lube so they don't squeek!?!?!

Here is one of the places that do them.

Guest Spargo

Yea, the dude on E30Zone with the Bexley MotorWorks 230hp M20 has poly bushes all rounds, and says its simply appaling, even with lubing them. he reckoned you had to do it practically every week.

Alrighty then.

Here it is, the standard price for the kit is $450 + Shipping.

If we get more than 5 people there is a 20% discount, bringing it down to $360 + Shipping.

Whether we have to pay GST on that when it comes into NZ is a little unknown as I have never paid GST on anything I have ever brought from overseas!?!?!

The kit includes:

2x Eccentric control arm bushes (M3)

2x Rear subframe mounts

4x Rear trailing arm bushes

These are all Urethane mounts that replace the stock rubber ones.

I haven't included for any sway bar mounts as they can be sourced locally and some people may be running bigger bars than stock.

Who wants them then:

Me

Andrew

tHrEEtWoFiVe??

2-3 more, come on you know you want them!!!!

Guest Andrew

we can probably get dave and ollie in. I'll talk to them on Sat.

Please explain for everyone what it will do to handling.

The Bushes in our E30's are rubber from the factory, most will be 15-20yrs old and getting rather tired, I know mine are.

Most of you probably think your E30 is meant to handle how it does but chances are you've only owned it for the last few years so the bushes may not have got any worse, so you think it is normal.

I'll go through each bush and let you know what effects the worn bushes have on the suspension/handling.

Rear control arm bushes: These are one of 2 parts that stop the front wheel from moving back and forward in the wheel arch, (the other is the ball joint to the sub frame, non serviceable). When these are worn under hard braking the wheel(and suspension) can move back which changes, Toe, castor & camber. Such changes during braking &/or cornering will cause undesirable handling and tyre wear.

The urethane bushes greatly reduce the movement and since they are the offset bushes (as per E30 M3's) they increase the castor making the car turn-in and at high speed alot more stable.

Rear subframe bushes: There are 2 of these, one on either side or the car just in front of the rear wheel arch. The whole rear suspension mounts off the rear subframe which is held in place by these 2 rubber mounts.

Not much to say here other than when they are "tired" it allows the whole rear suspension geometry to change = very bad for handling. My E30 is an extreme case amplified the the amount of HP I have, but when I accelerate in a straight line the torque transmitted to the wheels twists the subframe on its mounts and you end up vering across the road, turn in at any speed feels dodgy as the backend wants to go straight ahead.

Trailing arm bushes: There are 4 mounting points for the 2 trailing arms.

These mount to the rear subframe.

When the bushes are worn the suspension geometry can change quite alot while hard cornering, more toe out & positive camber are the effects of this which reduce traction make the car unpredictable.

Combine these with worn subframe mounts and you have a real handful to drive well.

Hope that helps guys.

The more poeple that want the kit the better.

If we can get all the names soon I can get the order in early Dec and hopefully have them to you at the Summer cruise, if not before.

So we have:

Me

Andrew

tHrEEtWoFiVe

ollie?

///dave?

Good O'

So we have:

Me

Andrew

tHrEEtWoFiVe

///dave

Come on you E30 guys & gals I know there is a few more of you.

E30 318i

MS BOND

ollie

Andrew, is there a club bank accn. poeple can put a deposit into!?!?!?!

How does this sound.

Confirmation cut off is Friday 28th November.

I will get a more accurate price (based on those who confirm) and approx. arrival date etc...

$150 deposit into the club bank accn. by the Friday 5th December.

I'll place the order on monday 8th.

Hopefully they will arrive before the summer cruise/meet.

Balance to be paid on delivery, possibly at the meet.

Guest Andrew

I have a paypal account. Not sure how to use it but i'll work it out.

it's very well getting the bushes and i agree that they can adversely affect handling but there is alot of labour involved in pressing them on and off. although it would be lovely to have these as they might stop me from sliding into kerbs head on i'm not prepared to let that kinda money go simply because i am f**kin broke and have more important things to worry about, besides i just replaced a few of my bushes anyway damnit.

updated lists:

Confirmed:

Me

Andrew

tHrEEtWoFiVe

///dave

Nag list:

MS BOND

E30 318i

Grant

any one else with an E30!?!?!

CiLK WuRM: At this stage the group buy is for the E30 chassis because of the discount of a bulk order, I can order you E36 bushes but they prolly won't be at a 20% discount (unless the guy is in a good mood).

Ollie: All good, taken you off the nag list.

Guest Spargo

323ti, I'm well aware of that! :P I just want a set for when i go back to the dark side, no point in me buying them later, for more, when i have the cash to get them now!

CiLK WuRM: Sweet.

updated lists:

Confirmed:

Me

Andrew

tHrEEtWoFiVe

///dave

CiLK WuRM

Nag list:

MS BOND

E30 318i

Grant

any one else with an E30!?!?!

Gidday

You can take me off your nag list too (unfortunately, I had mine replaced with new rubber ones about 12 months ago, when I gave the 325i a good going over and replaced belts, oil seals etc.)

I hope you get enough people together.

Cheers

um....how much are we looking at? dont have my e30 yet...but am def getting one...so might be worth getting.....what time frame are we looking at? cos i am back in the country in bout 2 1/2 weeks...and what happened to MSBOND? was she too cool?

oh just saw...$360...will def think about it....sound like a good idea...just the money issue and getting it to someone....

Sign in to follow this