Sign in to follow this  
BMW POWER

1994 BMW 320i

How ironic is that.. from BMW to Mercedes  <_<  you should have stayed at Cookies.

How did you find your way onto bimmersport?

what if I told you , "from Volkswagen to Audi to Porsche to BMW to Mercedes-Benz"

Ive been there , done them all ( and thats just the german brands) theres Fiat , Lancia, Hyundai, Holden . Rover, Landrover, Isuzu blah blah blah, I think I have been in the Automotive trade too long :wacko:

Edited by vonripsnorter

How ironic is that.. from BMW to Mercedes   <_<  you should have stayed at Cookies.

How did you find your way onto bimmersport?

what if I told you , "from Volkswagen to Audi to Porsche to BMW to Mercedes-Benz"

Ive been there , done them all

:o You must like German cars! Well cars all together really.

From what you know when you worked at BMW, what sort of work do the Technicians do on a day-to-day basis?

Edited by BMW POWER

From what you know when you worked at BMW, what sort of work do the Technicians do on a day-to-day basis?

They can get very busy, there is alot of compter work ie all the workshop manuals are online, all the information systems are online, alot of the Diagnostic work is all via computer & then there is the reprogramming of various control units etc etc

then of course there are the older cars which all have there usual faults & some not so usual

They can get very busy, there is alot of compter work ie all the workshop manuals are online, all the information systems are online, alot of the Diagnostic work is all via computer & then there is the reprogramming of various control units etc etc

then of course there are the older cars which all have there usual faults & some not so usual

Thanks for that.

Do they work with older BMW's with Carburretors (sp.) in them?

I am just reading a book about Engineering that is rather outdated and it has Carby's in it, Just making sure it has some relevence to Engineering today.

I am just reading a book about Engineering that is rather outdated and it has Carby's in it, Just making sure it has some relevence to Engineering today.

Wow, a carb, whats that??, just kidding, its only every tenth blue moon we ever saw a car with a carb

times have changed long ago in that respect, infact even a simple job like adjusting the idle speed on the new BMW's is not a case of open the hood & adjust a screw, its now, plug in the Computer & down load the new specs !!

Wow, a carb, whats that??, just kidding, its only every tenth blue moon we ever saw a car with a carb

times have changed long ago in that respect, infact even a simple job like adjusting the idle speed on the new BMW's is not a case of open the hood & adjust a screw, its now, plug in the Computer & down load the new specs !!

Off goes that book then!

Well really i am reading it more to just get a better grip on the basics, like how to change valves and replace old gaskets etc.

They might be a thing of the past too, soon... with all the hydrogen/electric development going on.

sounds like you have some real old books there

the germans are into exchange units

ie they dont list any auto trans items in ther epc , if it goes wrong, replace the whole thing!!

the same goes for most starter motors, alternators str racks etc etc

if they go wrong, do dont fix them, you replace them on exchange, & send the old unit back to Germany

Guest Andrew

ie they dont list any auto trans items in ther epc , if it goes wrong, replace the whole thing!!

if they go wrong, do dont fix them, you replace them on exchange, & send the old unit back to Germany

the techs these days seem to be no more than parts replacement people. Diagnostics seems to be a thing of the past.

The book is from the Library, and i just loked at the Pub date and it says 1976!

So even if its just like the tiniest 50c part in the trans or whatever, replace the whole thing? Surely it'd be worth the work instead of paying thousands for a new box...

the techs these days seem to be no more than parts replacement people. Diagnostics seems to be a thing of the past.

There is still plenty of Diagnostics, & its diagnostics that mark a good tech

there are plenty of times when the computerin the car has stored no fault codes

but theres still something wrong, & its electronic, then you need to be a good tech to sort it

Hey nothing wrong with carbs, my bike makes over 125 Hp per litre stock with a good old carbie. Besides you can actually tune a carb yourself, no need for chips, link plus etc.