Sign in to follow this  
snolan

I'm leaving the frog

Hi Guys,

I am a noob to the bimmers, I am keen for a E30 coupe manual however I could settle for a 4 door. I am hoping to do a lot of my own mechanical stuff, I have been working on cars at home with my dad and at one of the local garages so I am reasonably capable at doing some things.

If anyone is keen to help me on a few early questions thatd be amazing.

1. How easy is a manual conversion in an E30, what would I need and how much is this looking to cost.

2. What transplants are available for the E30 that don't require mountains of new stuff, ie staying in the BMW family but moving to a 2.3 or 2.5L?

And if by chance someone wants a Renault Clio MK I 16v, sporty little beast, check out my auction, I've owned it for four and a half years and would like a change.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=223288378

Cheers.

Conversion is simple if you know your way around a car, looking at $500-1500.

Engine swaps are relatively simple, if you stay in the e30 family of engine, i.e your M10b18,M20's and M40's, other than that it starts becoming rather laborious.

I think there are quite a few members looking for e30's on here now :ph34r:

Manual conversion is fairly easy and if you do it yourself with the usual new parts (clutch, etc) it'll run you $1200ish

There's little point moving to a 2.3/2.5 from the e30 series from a 1.8/2.0. You're far better off buying the 325i from the get-go. This is especially true moving from the 4cyl to the 6cyl as you have to do a lot more (suspension, loom) and if you've already done a manual conv, the gearboxes aren't interchangeable.

If you mean the newer m50/m52 engines, then yes, these are common swaps. They are a little work, but you benefit from many people's past experiences. Also, if the old motor was a 6cyl, the gearbox from the older motor fits the newer one, so you wan't have to do the manual conversion twice.

Finally, there are plenty of boosted (both turbo and supercharged) e30's around both with the older m20 motors and newer m50/m52's, so that's another option.

Guest Simon*

Clit'O must go!

But we'll allow you to post pics of your inferior Surrender-monkey-mobile if you like

Just jokes - welcome!

Yea good choice ditching the Clio mate... Welcome aboard, lots of people here that can help you out with an E30 for sure, dont be shy to ask anything.

Ryan

quote] dont be shy to ask anything

Except what we think about chromies :P

Welcome.

Except what we think about chromies :P

No, it's a good thing. I have been set against them. With help of BS members. :D

Isnt Clio a magazine... I'd rather have a BMW than a book :P

Welcome, is that your Alpine??!!

i might have to buy it... need a new daily anyways...

id have your 205 over the clio personally but thats just because iv allways wanted to build a group b replica.

good choice with the e30 get yourself a tech 1 or 2 and your laughing or build one using a S charged later 6 good plan, nice one ,right on :rolleyes: