Sign in to follow this  
E30 325i Rag-Top

Use Of The Word "Raped" In Posts

Actually its a crap point. How is this forum any different to your work place? Like it or not there are other poeple to think about and having to put a system in place so the odd few can use whatever language they want seems stupid.

I could agree this is a crap point.

You haven't worked in every workplace, they are all different, spend a day in mine and by the looks of your reaction to my post, you would probably shoot yourself.

And no I'm not saying we run around swearing and abusing people's "situations" (whatever they may be, since we are discussing the R word right now.).

But we don't hold back and say what we feel.

There are a lot of different people with different opinions in this world, all I'm trying to say is a few people shouldn't shut it down for the rest of us, it all needs to be fair - that is why I thought my first suggestion of per user censorship (if that is even possible) would be good.

EDIT;

Another point of censorship should be letting people have their say, fairly

My post below was deleted and a post by a moderator was edited to sound 'better', hypocrisy?

Edited by BEEMIR

So the up shot of your reply is that you dont behave this way at work but want to be able to do it on here? Grow up.  This isnt a discussion about the freedom of speech its about having respect for other people.  That means in this case not using a word or words that can be offensive to others.

Edited by M3 Cab

On another forum I sit on, they have the option to censor or not censor R13 words in your profile options thingy. Best option imo.That way those that prefer asterisks can read asterisks.

Edited by M3 Cab

Or a checkbox for swear filtering...

But it's not nice (coming from an older, new user point of view) coming onto a new forum, looking for information (as i've found this site does come up often in google searches) to find one littered with swear words, that would put you right off :)

also VTEC'd lul

EDIT;

Another point of censorship should be letting people have their say, fairly

My post below was deleted and a post by a moderator was edited to sound 'better', hypocrisy?

Your post was deleted because clearly your idea of debating whats offensive was to post up something that was clearly offensive. The other post was edited because it was pointless.

Oh and for being offensive heres a warning

I don't like the way this thread is turning.

Just another thread which gets out of hand because of people's different opinions.

Why does it matter if the word is replaced with another word when clearly everyone knows what the new word means? It is just like using ** in the middle of the word to make it apear less offensive.

Sure, maybe if a 12 year old was reading the forums it would be viable.

Not just the R word but all the words that are censored out.

I don't like the way this thread is turning.

Just another thread which gets out of hand because of people's different opinions.

Just be happy it's not one of your threads for once.

I think we should have a system in place for each user to block specific words themselves, should they actually want to.

1)

The system mentioned above is used on a number of forums I am a member off, it seems a common enough system and works well where i am a member.

2)

I am personally not worried if we keep some of the offensive words the way they are or if we block them out/replace with other words. However I think that whatever happens a consistent approach needs to be employed as it would annoy me considerably to find that one particular offensive word was blocked when others were not.

I like swearing like the next guy, however it is just manners to choose your words carefully when you are in the company of others. When we are on the drink with the boys, the language can get quite colourful. However when am in the public enviroment, my language is much more toned down.

Why cant we just go to our bookshelfs (assuming everyone has a one) and get a thesaurs. The english language is a rather extensive one, where there are pleanty of ways to describe events. You could use Microsoft word, its got one on there.

One of the reasons why people like topgear so much is how descriptive they can be in their articles, even how they play on words.

I would think that it would be more of an acheivement to be descriptive, than to always lower our vocabulary to rambling drunks.

Edited by Cress

have a vote?

agreed. but in my opinion.. it's a tad PC it's all about the context.. but like it has been said, there should be a system for those that don't want it up to have it auto censored if they choose to while others can see it if they don't mind. But really where is the line?

I raped my evo today :lol:

Just wanted to see if it works :P

I as a girl , dont find the word rape offensive , aslong as its used in a context to do with driving a car. I dont use it often but must admit i have used it before , it doesnt offend me , but i personally do understand totally , how and why it would offend people , especially victims of an assualt like that.

not to fussed what happens with the word!

erm why is the word raped not blocked out ? i was looking forward to V'tecd!! -_-

Edited by Livi

Because now the debate is getting heated, the censorship was actually becoming more offensive than the word itself. That's what happens when people behave like children.

The mod team are discussing this at present. Most likely there will be no bad word filter, but anyone using the word inappropriately will be moderated. Will announce details tomorrow.

Keep it friendly everyone, you're all entitled to your own opinions.

give people the choice to see bad language or not - no one can complain that way

replacing "rape" with "vtec" trivialises it even more - vtec is a perfectly good standalone word

I'll bring it up because no one else has... Raped when used can and does mean just as it was used.

source: Jargon File 4.2.0

rape

vt.

1. To screw someone or something, violently; in particular, to destroy a program or information irrecoverably. Often used in describing file-system damage. "So-and-so was running a program that did absolute disk I/O and ended up raping the master directory."

2. To strip a piece of hardware for parts.

3. [CMU/Pitt] To mass-copy files from an anonymous ftp site. "Last night I raped Simtel's dskutl directory."

Source: www.dictionary.com

rape - 21 dictionary results

rape1  [reyp] Show IPA noun, verb, raped, rap⋅ing.

–noun

1. the unlawful compelling of a woman through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.

2. any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.

3. statutory rape.

4. an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.

5. Archaic. the act of seizing and carrying off by force.

–verb (used with object)

6. to force to have sexual intercourse.

7. to plunder (a place); despoil.

8. to seize, take, or carry off by force.

–verb (used without object)

9. to commit rape.

Origin:

1250–1300; (v.) ME rapen < AF raper < L rapere to seize, carry off by force, plunder; (n.) ME < AF ra(a)p(e), deriv. of raper

I feel strongly against the act of rape agaisnt people, I think rapist should be castrated (not chemically), but for as long as I've been into cars "Raped" was always used as a term meaning abuse and distruction. In no way was it associated with the act of human rape.

I can see both sides of the aguement and earlier I was thinking ban it, but as I've read the rest I've thought back to when and where I've used rape as I was used to kick this off, and it's not been often but it's been the pefecg word at the time. I think it falls into that catagory of depending on context it's ok, but if the mods/admins feel it's not used in the appropriate context then remove. c**t is anouther one... I.e he/she is a gc

sure it's bogan as, but it's a term said a lot in NZ. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for you to think of how many people would say "f**k ya, He's a good c**t should have seen him raping his car on the track it was brutal."

Do I personally want to see a forum full of that, no... But that is how a lot of people talk, the topic of language standards on forums is always fun. Aussiefrogs = no offensive language, even when using it in context refering to something that Jill public called some members at a meet. Old school = free for all...

I say leave it for use in context. I hope everyone has a gay morning... I will as I get to work from home this week.

I swear like a trooper and I'm not a prude... but language on the threads is really very unnecessary. You can express yourself without using bad language and you dont run the risk of offending others on the forum. Just use a little common sence before posting and think about what you are trying to get accross in your thread. If your trying to be offensive or getting personal, you'll get a warning....continue with bad behaviour you'll get banned. I personaly dont like some of the language used on here, it doesnt offend me, I just dont use those words in here... I just feel its unnecessary and innapropriate for a public forum. Editing words is not the answer.... just don't use the words....and we all are adult enough to know what words we shouldn't use to express ourselves.

Just my 2c worth

Edited by *Glenn*

I swear like a trooper and I'm not a prude... but language on the threads is really very unnecessary. You can express yourself without using bad language and you dont run the risk of offending others on the forum. Just use a little common sence before posting and think about what you are trying to get accross in your thread. If your trying to be offensive or getting personal, you'll get a warning....continue with bad behaviour you'll get banned. I personaly dont like some of the language used on here, it doesnt offend me, I just dont use those words in here... I just feel its unnecessary and innapropriate for a public forum. Editing words is not the answer.... just don't use the words....and we all are adult enough to know what words we shouldn't use to express ourselves.

Just my 2c worth

Couldn't agree more. Sums up my thoughts too.

Cheers

Grant

Just my 2c worth

Yep, agree.

Censorship is NOT the answer - just use your brain (well, some people have a brian onboard...no offense to brians)

Keep it open!

Heath - you make some valid points, some of which are similar to my personal view.

I think the debate has been explored enough now so I'll close the thread for no other reason than to stop some last-minute Larry/Lara stirring it up again.

The official line from the moderation team is: the word is not banned, but prolific use or insensitive use of the word, or any other offensive word in or out of context will be moderated on a case by case basis.

If you see language you find offensive, please use the report function. Several members have used this to date and it has worked very well.

Thanks for those that had valuable input in this discussion.

Opened and replied, just because I can :)

So am I-the crimes the problem,not the word.

Im not sure what your trying to say. Perhaps that you think using the word in a trivial situation is acceptable?

But on the other hand, lighten up (Not aimed at anyone in particular!), 99.76% of the time it is used in a non-offensive way.

Thats the whole point of the discussion though isnt it Nick, the trivialisation of a word. Interesting that you immediately prefixed this comment with this...

Not something to joke about.

To an awful lot of people using the word in any context other than 'the crime' is joking about it.

Where do you draw the line?

A valid point and worth bringing up. Speaking for myself, I dont think either r.aped or c.unt are acceptable at all. I dont mind the odd f.uck everynow and then, but excessive use of foul language is unnecessary. I dont think thats too difficult to accept.

Killing/censoring/blocking it no matter what, for everyone is bullshit, just shows how stupid this world is getting.

Freedom of speech? This is the internet afterall.

You haven't worked in every workplace, they are all different, spend a day in

mine and by the looks of your reaction to my post, you would probably shoot

yourself.

There are a lot of different people with different opinions in this world, all

I'm trying to say is a few people shouldn't shut it down for the rest of us, it

all needs to be fair - that is why I thought my first suggestion of per user

censorship (if that is even possible) would be good.

You may call it stupid, I call it being decent and having repsect for other peoples opinions. As its the internet you have more people from more walks of life than you can ever imagine. Try thinking about that the next time you post.

Have you worked in every workplace ? I would say the greater majority of workplaces would see you fired for using the language you seem so keen to be allowed to use.

What do you consider a 'few' people ? There have been just as many comments on this thread saying its unacceptable as there has been saying its acceptable and the only 'few' you have to worry about are the owners, admin and moderation teams.

So the up shot of your reply is that you dont behave this way at work but want to be able to do it on here? Grow up. This isnt a discussion about the freedom of speech its about having respect for other people. That means in this case not using a word or words that can be offensive to others.

Finally a voice of reason.

Why does it matter if the word is replaced with another word when clearly everyone knows what the new word means? It is just like using ** in the middle of the word to make it apear less offensive.

Agreed, which is why IMO the best way forward is for the word to not be banned, but be heavily moderated. If its used 'out of context' or in a abusive or offensive way then it will be removed and warnings given.

Its about showing some self control.

I like swearing like the next guy, however it is just manners to choose your words carefully when you are in the company of others. When we are on the drink with the boys, the language can get quite colourful. However when am in the public enviroment, my language is much more toned down

Another sensible comment.

I personaly dont like some of the language used on here, it doesnt offend me, I just dont use those words in here... I just feel its unnecessary and innapropriate for a public forum. Editing words is not the answer.... just don't use the words....and we all are adult enough to know what words we shouldn't use to express ourselves.

Again another Mod with a perfectly sensible view (and Grant agreed with Glenn's comments aswell), anyone would think we were primed for situations like this :)

So ultimately it looks like 'in context' is the crux of this discussion. The 'context' for some is their workplace, for others its down the pub after a few bevvies. On Bimmersport context is a forum with people from from all walks of life and so you have to be more careful. Just because we all like cars, and BMW's in particular, does not mean we find the use of foul language appropriate.

Would you walk into a room full of strangers and start f'ing and blinding to all and sundry ? I highly doubt it so why should you be allowed to do it here ?