Sign in to follow this  
jjs

F1's at Te Papa?

Spotted this link as an ad on the Herald website and got very excited. But, does anyone know more detailed information - i.e. are they actually displaying any F1 car(s)? If so, it would be sooo badass!

Link

From Te Papa site,

Formula One ™ – The Great Design Race

Thrilling, seductive, and addictive, Formula One is among the world’s most popular sports. This exhibition traces the development of the Formula One racing car from the 1950s to the 2000s – one of the great design stories of our time. Follow the incredible technology, see iconic cars, and discover New Zealand’s Formula One heroes.

15 July 2009–1 November 2009

Visa Platinum Gallery, Level 4

Admission charges apply

From Te Papa site,

see iconic cars

Oooh I am excited now. Hopefully something red! Will definately make the trip down to Wellington.

The speed show at Manukau last year had Dixon's Indy car, and a Ferrari F1, 2007 version from memory. The F1 was sooooo small beside the Indy car.

Imagine my surprise when I saw David Coultards previous years car on display at a car yard in Palmerston North a few years ago. The cockpit was tiny.

Almost no press or advertising that it was there. If I wasn't cruising around as a rep looking for something to do I would have missed it.

Ferrari in Auckland had one of Schumacher's old F1 cars a few months back. Had all the sign writing removed for some reason. Probably cause its now owned privately.

I think I remember seeing something about that. Didn't the guy have his own Ferrari collection in Aus somewhere?

The speed show at Manukau last year had Dixon's Indy car, and a Ferrari F1, 2007 version from memory. The F1 was sooooo small beside the Indy car.

Funny you should say that. I watched the Ohio Indy race and then immediately afterwards watched the F1. I was thinking that the F1 cars looked like toys after watching Indy.

I'm off to the Indy cars at Sonoma in a few weeks. Am looking forward to it. It is a road course too so it should be good.

Cheers

Grant

That would be cool

I'd make the trip down

I'll be there early August, come down then.

Prices seem pretty reasonable:

Tickets are $12 for adults, $5 for children between 5 and 15, and under-fives are free.

Will look at bringing my tribe down to this, any particular dates in August?

Guest Simon*

I think Ollie's going to suggest around Wed 5th August as that's when he's passing through but a weekend might suit the rest of us quite a lot better

Im happy to do whichever weekend everyone can get down here. Ollie can go by himself but have a beer with us in the evening..

Sennas car... Heading to welly in a few weeks. Will be going.

If only it didn't cost a testicle to get it on the ferry! The first decent road I drove in this car was those Rimutaka hills. Would love to hit them up now.

Bimmersport meet over the rimutakas followed by F1 cars at te papa...is this a dream? Everyone who wants to see Henry's car in Welly can chip in for the ferry cost haha.

Edited by Forrest