Sign in to follow this  
sjanett

Vinyl Cutters

Hi all, im looking at buying a vinyl cutter for some small jobs, without having to paying a huge price for one of the big machines.

Has anyone used/ bought one of these models that are selling on trademe? they are the size i am after.

Link

Thoughts anyone? :)

A scrolling blade and razor blade would be cheaper... Thats what I use for masking up some of my art work

If it's just some small jobs why not pay a signwriter. I've found that their prices are very reasonable for cutting a bit of vinyl to shape.

I have only had Roland plotters/cutters in the past. You have to make sure that new blades are easy to get cos you will go through a few. Also some of the cheaper plotters/cutters software won't allow you to switch jpegs into vector pics that the plotter will recognise. Just my0.2.

On that note, there's free raster-vector conversion software on the web if you need it.

Yeah i looked into that. my fathers a Signwriter, but rather then go through him, i am starting up my own venture.

Ha ha, using a scrolling blade and razor blade might take too long with some of the things i would like to cut out Glenn.

On that note, there's free raster-vector conversion software on the web if you need it.

Oh :lol: whats that program called it may come in hand if i do buy it.

Cheers bellicose, as far as i know they these models accept the common brand Roland cutter blades. I can get those for a reasonable price. I will more likely buy a bulk load just incase too.

Edited by EVLBMW

Wintopo I use it to convert scanned plans or similar to AutoCAD dwg's, but you can use it for all sorts of things.

Hey two of my mates recently purchased cutters off Tardme. One looks identical to that one. It broke soon after purchase and the seller (unsure if same one) would not play ball. Has been months now and the machine has been used 3 or 4 times.

The other friend could never get his working correctly. And he worked for a signage company. His was very expensive and purchased from the states. They gave him virtually no support. Ended up on selling it on Tardme.

Kind of off topic but my mate bought one off trademe , (not the same model) quite an old one and has great success in making a variety of stickers and is currently selling to all over NZ speciallising in downhill bikes..

No problems what so ever, so maybe its better off looking for an older model? will try to find out what model..and downloaded software.

Why don't you work for your dads company then buy it off him when he retires? We don't need anymore sign companies in Auckland right now, lol!

Keep it in the family and help your dad make some money!

Haha thought about that, but i think he’s still got a fair bit of working life in him lol, so that could be a while, plus im not so much going into signage, more t-shirts and a few other ideas that have been presented to me.

I am looking at doing my little venture on the side of my currant job, to have a bit of fun and bring in some extra money, but i know where your coming from when you say "We don't need anymore sign companies in Auckland right now, lol!" the old mans always talking about new companies and what’s going on.

There are so many cow boys with trade me cutters, but I see a lot of them have crashed and burnt lately.

Why not outsource it for start up?

Lower setup costs and lower risks if it doesnt work out.

Edit: Oh and im speaking from experience haha :huh:, not the failing but but out sourcing part :P

By time you put in all the effort and learn how it all works you could have gone out and sold heaps of what your trying to make

If you want someone to outsource to i can recommend a few places

Edited by HaNs