Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Rust Killer

Got some surface rust in the usual places in the e30, under boot seal, spare wheel etc etc

Have previously used Wattyl Kill Rust, while it did what it said to any primer + top coat I used on top would react to it and go all orange peely.

Anyone got a good off the shelf paint on rust killer that will do the trick and doesn't seem to react?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Nathan

I've used rust converter from Supercheap followed by a good coating of fish oil. Once the fish oil dries you can paint over it with primer and topcoat if necessary. I didn't bother with paint as the rust in my case was on the inside of my metal bumpers where no one can see it anyway.

**** NEWS FLASH*****

This just in, there is no such thing as rust killer.

The proper way to treat rust is to get a dremel tool and cut the rust right back until its 100% gone. Then you need to chemically treat this area with a neutraliser. Making sure it 100% clean of contaminants. You can then apply metal protectant primers and paint as normal. If it requires bog, you are only giving the rust another chance to start up again.

Painting stuff over the top of it will only mask the problem. It will be back with avengance.

The big problem with rust is the metal has already got the chemical reaction going on deeper than the surface of the metal. people are fooled into thinking they have all of it and all the have done is delayed the reaction a few months.

^ It is only just surface rust so I guess it can be sanded right back to bare metal, when you say neutraliser what exactly are we talking about? Cheers, Nathan

Sanding it (unless you sand for hours) wont get it ..

A dremel on the end of a drill will help you cut it out.

You then need a Phosphoric acid based product to clean the area properly. Then obviously you need to clean that off with clean water and dry with a hair dryer. then the area is ready for rust protecting primers. a plastic bonding agent / sealant is the needed which will dry hard and can be sanded back smooth ..

Primer then paint the area to get a total seal again.

Im not 100% of products these days as when I did this it was 10 years ago on my off roader. The rust never came back on that after following these steps which incedently I learnt from my air force friends at the time.

We also sell tergo and I have used it-not on a car. But as Josh pointed out,your never really going to get rid of it unless you cut it out and put more metal over it.

Tergo costs about $30 for 500ml. I have some here that you can have if you pay for shipping and try but really it's like putting a plaster onto a gunshot wound.

We also sell Metalfix witch is a simmiler product but quite expensive. looking at about $65 per liter (trade price)

it seems to be far superior and it is used Alot in the marine industry.

If there is no air or water getting into the rust under the coating there is no way it can progress. (Correct me if im wrong)

http://www.phoenixpaints.com.au/m_04_01.html

Read where they have used it on the ute. It is awesome stuff but you pay for it.

At the end of the day the car is worth 4 grand and I am not throwing a whole lot of money into it. The rust is not that bad I just want something inhibit it and stop working, not worried about having to to do it again once a year (only the boot seal is bad enuf to fix), thanks everyone for their input so far, anyone used any off the shelf stuff from repco?

Like I said, Tergo.

Can get you a bottle from work at my price if you wanna try some.

If it's just surface rust/oxidisation, get one of those wire brushes for on the end of a drill - brush back to bare metal, and use any metal primer.

Won't last forever, but will last a long enough time.

do as bravo said then check out the por15 site and get their starter kit...

their stuff is absolutely amazing.. i'll be painting the entire underneath of the 205 in it once i get the time and money...

I just used the off the shelf rust converter from supercheap. Cleaned up all the rust from the surface, then applied the rust converter. This causes a chemical reaction with any remaining surface oxidisation, nuetralising it so that it will not progress. Good primer on top of that, and a topcoat to seal it in and no problems after that.. well so far..

You can also get a product from supercheap, called rust-prime. It does the above steps whilst at the same time it primes the metal as well. Actually ends up cheaper.

do as bravo said then check out the por15 site and get their starter kit...

their stuff is absolutely amazing.. i'll be painting the entire underneath of the 205 in it once i get the time and money...

Wow, that stuff's expensive! $80 for a litre...looks like I will have to deal with rust soon :(

edit: I think a super starter kit might be the go for now, about $50 inc shipping.

Edited by JiB

ya but a little goes a long way...

Por 15 Start Kit

STARTER KIT

Here's an idea you can't pass up!

Why not try our POR 15 out for yourself - we're so confident that you'll be impressed with our products that we put together this wonderful Starter Kit. Great for those small parts and jobs. Enough to cover 1 metre square.

Available in Black, Grey, Clear and Silver.

This excellent kit includes:

so a litre will do 10 square meters...

I'd hope your car isn't 10 square meters - well i wouldn't think your car is 10 square meters