Sign in to follow this  
JFry

convert 320i to 328i?

Hey guys,

Currently have a '97 320i that has done just under 200,000k's and the engine is rather gutless.

Was thinking about swapping in a M50/2 either the 2.5l or 2.8l and was wondering how much each of these differ by? Are they any heavier or larger than the 2.0l and will I be able to use the 320 mounts and crossmember or will I need one from whichever engine I swap in?

Also are there much of an advantage in going with the M52? Does the vanos help with the low down torque or top end power or both??

Sorry about all the questions.

Thanks

Jeffrey

Step one: Sell 320i

Step two: Buy 328i

Unless you're doing all the work yourself it will cheaper to do the above. You may also encounter problems with the EWS immobiliser system which is coded to each car/engine to stop theft.

This can all be done....just costs $$$$$$$$

And that's speaking from experiance.

The next question has to be ......what is your budget ? and is the car in mint condition ?, otherwise its not worth doing.

If your budget is set at around $3,500 to $ 5,000 ....forget it. You cant do it all properly for that and it will need to be certed as well because its more the 25% HP increase.

I had to put another m50 in my car last weekend. After everything, paying for another engine, hiring hoist, oil, etc etc, it cost around $1200.

m52 would be more expensive due to needing a different ECU etc I believe.

Edited by Mark247

I had to put another m50 in my car last weekend. After everything, paying for another engine, hiring hoist, oil, etc etc, it cost around $1200.

m52 would be more expensive due to needing a different ECU etc I believe.

Different trans and wiring loom to. Depends on whether hes going manual as well because then it will also need a different diff ratio

Different trans and wiring loom to. Depends on whether hes going manual as well because then it will also need a different diff ratio

Ah right. Didn't realise he would need a new trans etc. If he wants a m50b25 wiring loom, I have one here he can have for $10.

Ah right. Didn't realise he would need a new trans etc. If he wants a m50b25 wiring loom, I have one here he can have for $10.

If hes going from M50 to M52 he will and he'll need to buy a non ASC motor, trans & wiring loom

If hes going from M50 to M52 he will and he'll need to buy a non ASC motor, trans & wiring loom

yes he would but he stated he was considering either an m50 or m52 so I thought I'd just put it out there...

M52 would be a lot more work and mooola. Would a m50b20 gearbox not bolt up to a m50b25?

Would a m50b20 gearbox not bolt up to a m50b25?

If I had a Vin number of his car & donor car I could tell you that

Lets not keep speculating though... his budget might have already been blown out of the window

It currently has a M52B20 (I believe, it already has vanos) and the 5 speed jap auto.

Also would consider either a 2.5 or 2.8(if they are basically the same amount of work)

Would be nice to do a manual conversion at the same time.

Don't have budget at this point, would just like to know my options.

Your options will be determined by the depth of your pockets I'm afraid

It currently has a M52B20 (I believe, it already has vanos) and the 5 speed jap auto.

Also would consider either a 2.5 or 2.8(if they are basically the same amount of work)

Would be nice to do a manual conversion at the same time.

Don't have budget at this point, would just like to know my options.

M50 would be way easier than M52 due to you needing a different loom, ecu, and a heap of other sh*t. Your gearbox, if you stay auto, would bolt up to either I believe, I did a little research. Manual conversion would be expensive, but if you do want to go manual it would be easier if you did it at the same time. I am not sure if the M50B20 ECU would work at the M50B25, it probably would but you would be better getting the correct one ( if you throw them over the fence at pick-a-part, they are free. Dont ask how i know this. )

Either that, or sell your car and get another. But that's the easy way out =P

Oh, if you car is m52 already, the EWS could cause a few problems.. as I think Glen said before.

Yeah, might just stick with what i've got and buy something better in the future. Thanks for all your help guys. :)