Sign in to follow this  
laadeelaa

Cleaning chrome

Kiaora,

Just wondering, is there any budget-ass ways to clean the black spots on my chrome dish and in the nooks and crannys? It's like a black rash/rust?

It's no obvious, but yeah I can't get it off. I've tried buy and tar remover, too scared to use one of those fine green goldilocks as I'm thinking it'd leave scratches?

Someone may know, besides the point that no one really has chromes on here...apart from exhaust pipes.

Cheers.

Cutting compound and a buff? just a guess... worked for the back of iPods.

(brasso + hours of work)

Cutting compound and a buff? just a guess... worked for the back of iPods.

(brasso + hours of work)

The base of ipods are stainless, not chrome. :D

Did u use Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover...its fantastic

Edited by Forrest

I used a scotch brite pad with some bug and tar remover....on the polished lip of my old wheels looked amazing, also used autosol...but I don't know if you want to use that on chrome plated wheels :S

If you go to Supercheap Auto, or Mitre 10 etc then you can ask them for advice, and i know there are a few metal polish products that are safe for chrome, i've used them before on my motorbike (damn shiny chrome everywhere suzukis lol). The one I used is downstairs, I'll just run and check for you..

Edit: OK, looks like dads used it all/chucked it out so i can't grab you a name sorry, shame too cos the bike needs cleaning again <_<

Edited by huff3r

Sorry thread jack, but what could I use to Polish the Chrome around the windows? hey arent painted chrome, just very shiny silver metal I guess from factory. They are pretty dull when you look at them close up, from a distance look all good. Any recommendations on what I should/could use to shine them up, buff them etc?

Edit: OK, looks like dads used it all/chucked it out so i can't grab you a name sorry, shame too cos the bike needs cleaning again <_<

Oh. Fail.

Thanks for going to the effort though. :)

No problems, but if u just go doto you're local supercheap, then theyll sort you out :D

lol, look at me.. quit the business and still pushing it :rolleyes:

Meguiar's make a wheel cleaner for chrome wheels (I believe it's the strongest in their range). Might be worth giving that a go.

I've tried all Meguiar's chrome polish.

This sh*t-ass spray on stuff.

They clean up, just the black dots still stay.

I've been told a little oven cleaner...

Sorry thread jack, but what could I use to Polish the Chrome around the windows? hey arent painted chrome, just very shiny silver metal I guess from factory. They are pretty dull when you look at them close up, from a distance look all good. Any recommendations on what I should/could use to shine them up, buff them etc?

Silvo and synthetic steel wool. Did mine and it worked mint.

Emily, also use silvo.Just don't get any on the tyre.

I've been told a little oven cleaner...

Oooo. Be careful! Im not sure what type your using, but I put some Mr Muscle ovencleaner on a mates rims a while ago, then washed it off 10mins later and a patch of paint came off! I even used it on my standard 14s and it took the colouring off them! Not sure if it would eat the chrome, but I suggest to try a spot not so obvious first! It is pretty lethal sh-t, breathe the fumes or splash ya self & you'll know about it! :P

Edited by Shady

Oven cleaner is for ovens, ie hard grease and burnt on sh*t, ask yourself, does my mags look like a freaking oven??

If you want cheap use some Jif, the white sh*t you’d use on your bath.

Oven cleaner is for ovens, ie hard grease and burnt on sh*t, ask yourself, does my mags look like a freaking oven??

+1 LOL

Say no to oven cleaner!

Kiaora,

Just wondering, is there any budget-ass ways to clean the black spots on my chrome dish and in the nooks and crannys? It's like a black rash/rust?

Someone may know, besides the point that no one really has chromes on here...apart from exhaust pipes.

Cheers.

That "black stuff" is brake dust and there really is no way to get it off unfortunately. It is corrosive and actually eats into the chrome. I bet it has left little pit marks in the chrome. All you can really do is minimise its appearance now with a lot of elbow grease. Autosol tends to give the best results.

Jiff and Autosol. I'll have a try and see what happens on little areas.

*A little nervous.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

If you want cheap use some Jif, the white sh*t you’d use on your bath.

haha. I wanted to use it, cos it removed the old factory paint...took back to almost bare alloy and made them really clean - cheaper than soda or sand blasting.

- cheaper than soda or sand blasting.

LOL!

That "black stuff" is brake dust and there really is no way to get it off unfortunately. It is corrosive and actually eats into the chrome. I bet it has left little pit marks in the chrome. All you can really do is minimise its appearance now with a lot of elbow grease. Autosol tends to give the best results.

Which is why you should wash your wheels regularly. A light wash once a week saves alot of pain later on.