Sign in to follow this  
Shady

Remove old Glue under bonnet?

I ripped all of that spongy stuff off of the inside of my bonnet, and it left a glue behind which I dont really want to scrape off as I dont want to scratch or damage the bonnet. What would be ideal to remove this crap without being at it all day? Has anyone else removed this crap of there bonnet - what worked for you? Just looks so damn ugly when I pop the bonnet I want it gone.

De-solv-it and a scraper, be careful with the scraper not to scratch the paint.

Edit: Your car is matt black, attack it with a scraper and just spray the underside matt black too <_<

Edited by Indecorous

Edit: Your car is matt black, attack it with a scraper and just spray the underside matt black too <_<

yeah but then I might go deep and leave gouge marks in it? Have to redo bonnet anyway as the bog in the badge hole has popped up (you can see the ring - see photo) and if you look close in person can see deep scratch marks in the front of bonnet where they bogged it. Mates done it, so all good though haha. Redo it one day when I can be f--ked. Is de-solv-it expensive - where would I buy from?

post-4588-1247730982_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shady

Probably not, cos I have never seen the brands Bunnings sell, stocked at any other retailer.

Heat gun, degreaser and an eftpos card / elbow grease.

Guest FrantiC

You will nevr get that badge shaved with bog.. trust me. I redone mine atleast 4 times.

You will nevr get that badge shaved with bog.. trust me. I redone mine atleast 4 times.

Is it the heat from the engine, lifting the bog? What do I use - weld a patch over it?

I love the pink sticker on your windshield.... it matches your pink steering wheel :P Where did you get that ??

Edited by *Glenn*

I love the pink sticker on your windshield.... it matches your pink steering wheel :P Where did you get that ??

Pink sticker gone now :rolleyes: Got it for having cut springs :unsure: The wheel is Red n Black, get it right lol <_< found it on Trademe won it for $15 + $10 Post and its as new. Bosskit was $55 off that infinitey guy. Just got myself a BMW horn button now, looks good.

More on my car here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3263926

And the boot looks nice I reckon - see that link above for photos. Heaps of dents were bogged up (can see before & after photos), looked ruff before my mates went at it, it looks way better. Was meant to be Gloss black but the Matt black has grown on me now lol. Am going to repaint it again (Mattblack) but clearcoat it this time so its smooth.

Edited by *Glenn*

Guest FrantiC

Is it the heat from the engine, lifting the bog? What do I use - weld a patch over it?

rain water, heat not too sure... I thought it was water cos at one point when i first did it last year to my 320i 4 door when it had no engine, then left it under a car port a few weeks later the bog had cracked out and that had no engine in it so heat, hmmm not sure unless it was heat from the sun (was matt black also).

yeah best way is to weld sheet metal and flatten it out. Bog is more a "skimmer" rather a "valley filler", if you get what I mean, skims small dents but not good for filling big holes.

Pink sticker gone now :rolleyes: Got it for having cut springs :unsure: The wheel is Red n Black, get it right lol <_< found it on Trademe won it for $15 + $10 Post and its as new. Bosskit was $55 off that infinitey guy. Just got myself a BMW horn button now, looks good.

More on my car here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3263926

And the boot looks nice I reckon - see that link above for photos. Heaps of dents were bogged up (can see before & after photos), looked ruff as before my mates went at it, it looks way better. Was meant to be Gloss black but the Matt black has grown on me now lol. Am going to repaint it again (Mattblack) but clearcoat it this time so its smooth.

Is it really necessary for the language ??

Edited by *Glenn*

pacer sell solvent cleaner that works well and some elbow grease!!!!!!

Chuck some solvents on there. I just sprayed it with engine start (start ya bastard), let it soak in for a few mins and water blast it off and all the glue goes with it. Take your bonnet off or cover your engine bay with a tarp, or you will be picking the glue off everything for months.

Already done. Found me an old blunt scraper...with a bit of force & flat scraping, it all came off. Scratched the paint but eh, who cares, just going to repaint it later when I redo the car.

Helps me however, Im keen on removing mine :P

there are dynamat products to go under bonnets.

I saw a factory under bonnet cover, think it was on a M3 E30 or something? Are these hard to find? It was a proper cover, not this spongey crap.

Noooo. Didnt mean dynamat...I meaning the factory crap that I just took off. I want one of those underside bonnet covers that are found on, I assume...M3s?