Sign in to follow this  
paulsutherland

FIRST BMW

Hi all,

not sure if this forum is the right place for 5 series cars?

I bought my first BMW a couple of months ago. I was driving a Fiat Tipo and it doesn't seem much different. I might need to put a couple of T04s on it...

Seriously, it is a great car, I am still getting to know it really after having FWD or 4WD cars for many years. The LSD caught me out once at low speed on a small 2-lane roundabout in the wet- went very quickly as did my heart.

Any other E34 M5 owners out there?

Paul

BLKM5.bmp

Ooh, nice car. There was a lengthy discussion here about it when it was listed on Trademe.

I used to see it parked down Victoria Street in Christchurch quite a bit, looked beautiful. Are you from Chch too Paul?

Hi,

no, I flew down and drove it back to the north island.

First time driving a BMW really (except a short drive in a 320d in Ireland several years ago) so it was quite an experience- I had actually been driving a Fiat Tipo for several months prior and before that a Hyandai Santa Fe diesel.

So, a mixture of considerable excitement, and fear that I might have bought a lemon. On several occasions I laughed out loud like a school kid. It was a great drive, especially once on the western bypass through Waipapa, Wharepapa, etc which was my home turf many years ago.

How do I find the old discussion?

Paul

Ooh, nice car. There was a lengthy discussion here about it when it was listed on Trademe.

I used to see it parked down Victoria Street in Christchurch quite a bit, looked beautiful. Are you from Chch too Paul?

Welcome Paul. Verrry nice M5!

No 100% sure, but I think THIS is the TM discussion.

Hi,

having read the old posts, yes this is the car that came in from Singapore in 2001. It is genuine, I think it is the only black RHD car with extended buffalo leather.

I have done 3,000km in it so far and I am amazed that it has so few problems to deal with- it is a credit to its previous owners.

I get an intermittent "coolant level" warning but I think that is just the magnet on the sensor is weak. The cooland in clear green and the level is fine.

Just discovered yesterday that the power steering fluid is low -this is shared with the self-levelling suspension so I will have to see if there is a leak somewhere...

Valve guide seals not working too well anymore so it occasionally blows smoke at start-up in the morning. Doesn't seem to be using oil so while I would prefer it didn't, I don't think this is a problem.

Non-genuine clutch plate has been fitted and it judders occasionally- this is frustrating but again, probably not worth worrying about.

Otherwise car is fine, all the electrics work. Engine is great- if it needs rebuilding one day, I will happily do it.

Guest Simon*

It is a beautiful first BMW. The only way from an M5 is down :)

It sounds like you're enjoying it, that's fantastic. Welcome to bimmersport

Such a nice car mate, welcome to the club.Shame to see it leave chch but at least its on bimmersport now :)

Welcome Paul-great car!

good buying ,

its a great car , was very tempted to buy this , lucking it was not closer i a might have owned it . but couldn't see it been driven around by my wife with the 3 kids in all the time .

cant have 2 M-powered cars in teh family eh!!.

if you need a coolant sensor , i have some .

cheers brent

Welcome to Bimmersport.

Such a nice car, would love to see some pictures of the interior, buffalo is so nice.

Nice car mate, really REALLY dig the wheels.

lovely car a real iconic BMW IMO,look after it.The M5 ussually had the shadowline but the chrome on the all balck looks nice. I dont think they will depreciate much more.

Not trying to derail the party but a rebuild on the S38 is $$$$$$$.Put up with the occasional oil puff!

Welcome to bimmersport, I saw this car parked outside my work in Chch some time ago, it truely is in awesome condition.

Of course you will have to post up a picture of the Fiat 128 racecar. (I have a 128SL)