Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Mongrel E30 Race Car

Wrapped the exhausts tonight. Am now itchy as f**k. Wore long as gloves and a mask but still itchy. It's in my eyes and under my armpits.. oh god.

I got almost done and ran out of wrap so will have to buy another roll. They look rough as in the pics but they are much tidier now.

And this is the boot 70% finished.

post-1246-1296121651.jpg

post-1246-1296121670.jpg

post-1246-1296121683.jpg

So today and tonight I put the motor back together. Then snapped a exhaust valve so pulled it all apart again. The crank should have been turned another 180, but the person who put it on had either not checked it or had maybe misread the timing marks. So after going to move the crank pulley to line up the cam pulley, a sweet bang and a broken valve occured.

Luckily, had another spare head so pulled it out and swapped it over.

Also wired up fuel setup and let drain into a bucket. Works really well.

It lives, started it with no coolant for half a minute and it goes mint. Started first turn. Next week will hook up cooling system and torque the head and should be done. :D

Big cheers to Ray for the really quick replies etc, and drive shafts.

It lives, started it with no coolant for half a minute and it goes mint. Started first turn. Next week will hook up cooling system and torque the head and should be done. :D

Big cheers to Ray for the really quick replies etc, and drive shafts.

Result.

Good work mate.

Am having some serious problems with the heat wrap I put on.i have used heat wrap before and never had any problems, I have always had it burn all the excess oil and sh*t from my hands but never had it this bad. It started smoking a little bit like norman then pretty much just caught on fire and f'd the leads etc, not to mention my lungs...like seriously struggling to breath. There will be a very abusive phone call tommorow to X company. Will elaborate further tommorow

brb gotta cough some sh*t.

Some awesomeness.

Took the car for a drive, it moves under it's own power. Didn't really rev it past 2500, but it sounds healthy, has no leaks and doesnt make that many funny sounds.

Will run it in for a week then slowly get it up there.

Drive it every night this week man. Take a trip down to taupo and back just fun. Some nice long 100kph runs stable at 3krpm and an oli change should do it. Wont take you to long too :)

then youre ready for the 12th

Yeah, gonna take it for a drive this week sometime for a couple hours. Just need some better weather...

Will get some up when I get a camera. Ha. Josh?

Chur,

In the last couple days have been driving a bunch. Still no real high revving but have been 200kms on the open road and in traffic and have had no problems. Still waiting for the exhaust wrap to burn out completly. It is a c.nt of a thing but it has to happen I guess.

Will get some pics up soon.

course he is ... hampton will be the best run in a car can get.

Yep, car is now home. Will give it a clean tommorow I suppose.

So after Hampton yesterday I have some issues to address. Ran a 1.21.8 which was a lot better than my first runs but that was with non working brakes.

Brakes are now screwed. Bendix race pads are utter sh*t. Any help here would be good. Thinking trying a bonded Mintex pad. Will also need to adjust the brake bias a little bit and put a little more to the back wheels to extend the longevity. Will also make some ducts.

Oil pressure chinese junk gauge has also f'd out. Will probably end up putting a modified factory dash in with some mechanical gauges.

Will need to put an oil cooler in, oil was sitting at around 125 deg celcius on full throttle.

Other than that she goes good. There is a miss and a good dyno tune should fix all that.

First issue is the brakes though.

Ashkan, pm this guy, DH_DH, for brake pads, he supplies some of the front Series cars, and we run them in Steve's E30 M54B30, very good pads.

See here, http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=32087

Awesome thanks for that, will give it a try.What are they like compared to the mintex race pads?

The guys who use them say they're better, and they last well as well. From memory, the mintex are quite fast wearing.