Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Mongrel E30 Race Car

Awesome, will have a yarn with him on Monday.

is a link to a crappy in car video. I am a noob at resizing stuff so quality was lost.

At this stage I had very little brakes and pretty bald tyres. Still was cool but.

is a link to a crappy in car video. I am a noob at resizing stuff so quality was lost.

At this stage I had very little brakes and pretty bald tyres. Still was cool but.

Never mind video, wheres the latest photos at?!?!

:P

I did a really rangi job of locking it when I was 18 and could never be bothered fixing it. Think the bearings are gonners and its missing a bunch of metal. I drained the oil and a few teeth fell out etc.

I am going to take some photos of the finished engine and fuel setup eventually.

Will do. Been busy moving house an shiz.

nice. details on stroker?

re: m20 TB - you can get bored out ones from a guy on E30zone - i did it to my old M325i and not a huge diff but increased throttle response. saying that - andy's running stock. go for torque, not power

cool project dude!

Yeah, haven't touched the TB's. It's running super rich at the moment, I'm thinking it's the fuel delivery system but will take it and get it dyno'd and see what happens.

Borrowed my girl friends camera today and took some quick pics.

Engine bay is still rough as and the silver ally tape was just put on there last time we went out to stop the toxic sh*t from the header wrap from coming in. Also pics of E36 alloy radiator, had to muck around with it a bit but got it to go in the end.

Finished all the fab work on the fuel system and moved battery tray behind passengers seat too.

And a picture of the sunroof. Forgive the curse word that my boss cut out and put on there.

post-1246-1306038893.jpg

post-1246-1306038920.jpg

post-1246-1306038944.jpg

post-1246-1306038980.jpg

post-1246-1306038992.jpg

post-1246-1306039030.jpg

post-1246-1306039041.jpg

post-1246-1306039049.jpg

post-1246-1306039060.jpg

Woah, never even thought of that. Was going to dyno it sometime soon to see what we could squeeze out of the 2.8 but might have to give this a go.

Anyone had any luck with em?

Lots of info on E30tech, they may have a tune already done for a 2.8 m20 as well?

I think silver fox has the MAF kit on the E28 race car too...

Edited by Blackie

New brakes, thanks to Evan at speedfactor.

post-1246-1314142256.jpg

Oooo shiny bits.

Wish I had some shiny bits...

Looks great Ashkan! Not to happy with that Sh..t you have rapt my headers in tho. Very Tuff!

^Haha, main reason for that was, well, heat. It has made a huge difference in cabin temp and doesn't radiate so much heat off the motor either. Was some toxic sh*t though.

On another note,

Have got race license and sent away all series paperwork. woo.

So have started getting the car ready to race in the first race meet. All was going to plan and then the POS fuel cap broke on the fuel cell. David can vouch for how utterly crap these things are.

Posted Image

Having told myself I am not going to spend any more money on the car except for tyres, and that Cardwells want $114 for just the cap I started going through the dismantled car bits in the workshop. I found this attached to a Suzuki Escudo chassis, so I cut it off. I also managed to get a nice bit of flexi hose from it too.

Posted Image

I had to pull the whole fuel cell out and undo 20 odd bolts that had been held in there quite clearly by a 4 year old chinese boy as I don't know how the hell anyone else could have gotten a hand in there with a 10mm spanner to hold the bolt from turning. Anywho, after an hour and a few beers it came out.

Posted Image

I decided I would have to make something to remedy this problem so we made this rangi mount and welded the above bolts to it. I'm glad I thought of this really, otherwise it would have been impossible to do the bolts up afterwards. You will see why later.

Posted Image

Seeing as this is not the flashest piece of fabricating in the world, I coated the whole thing with some leftover POR15 tank sealer. This stuff is amazing at sealing up pinholes and also to stop any corrosion that may ever happen. It is also damn near impossible to get off your hands. It left me with this.

Posted Image

Then got onto making the part for the outside of the tank that will act as the filler. Again, used the end piece from the above filler cap so its all gonna be saaweeet, all be it rangi as f**k.

Posted Image

Posted ImageAlso, after reading some stuff I realized there needed to be a drip tray somewhere near the filler neck. Have seen a few cars without one but figured what the hell. It also doubles as the mounting flange to bolt onto the boot somewhere yet to be confirmed.

It looks like this.

Edited by Indecorous

Crap fitting it was. Is your filler going to be outside the car now? If so you don't need a collar with a vent for spillage, that's only if the filler is enclosed, or spill can enter the car.

Ha, god these look rangi.

But in an effort to make them look a little less rangi, I painted them. Flat black. Will finish tommorow.

Posted Image

Crap fitting it was. Is your filler going to be outside the car now? If so you don't need a collar with a vent for spillage, that's only if the filler is enclosed, or spill can enter the car.

Nah, couldn't massacre enough flexi hose from the escudo so will be in the boot still.

You need a full collar venting thru the floor then.

Basically yes, you need to entrap the fuel and feed it outside the car, someone I won't name used a cake tin and braised a pipe on it exiting thru the floor, still racing last I saw.