Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Mongrel E30 Race Car

And running new lines through the inside of the car ( someone enlighten me on the legallity of this please).

Fuel Systems

2.3(5)

A low volume vehicle must comply with the relevant fuel system requirements specified in the applicable section of the appropriate Low Volume Vehicle Technical Association Incorporated Member Association Technical Manual.

And running new lines through the inside of the car ( someone enlighten me on the legallity of this please).

So pretty much back to square one. I love cars.

I have them in my car... Be careful which ones you get as THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE!

If i run 98 in my car it will STINK! inside if it's been closed up for a while, you can get Teflon lined ones that do not smell... i can't remember if its Teflon or not tho... it's mentioned in a race series thread if i remember correctly..

Hmmm ok sweet that's a big help. Noticed also that the price of EFI line is insane compared to non injected line. Which is understandable. Also, who ever is importing that braided line must be making a creaming! Anyone got any hookups? Don't want that bling bling braided stuff. Just something that will work.

Anywho, am going to start collecting parts slowly and hopefully in the next couple months or so should have a motor and fuel setup.

So the list I have so far is:

-40L drop tank

-1L swirl pot

-~11m of fuel line

-Fuel pump ( am thinking a Walbro external unit, but am open to suggestions)

-sh*t load of various hose clips.

That's all I can think of?

Will ring Ray tommorow to discuss engine options and come up with a plan from there.

Swirls are cheap ... I just got this one

http://www.bcdirect.co.nz/viewproduct.aspx?ID=961

Also here for all alloy 40ltr cell .. however I personally would go for a fuel safe bladder style cell.

http://www.bcdirect.co.nz/viewproduct.aspx?ID=1115

If you're going external grab the standard '500hp' walbro .. or if your feeling fancy the bosche 044.

here is what I got ...

http://www.nzperformance.co.nz/store/walbr...h/prod_621.html

Cheers for that. Pump looks like the one I had in mind.

Was thinking of a baffled "Jazz" type cell but I guess running an external swirl pot will eliminate the need somewhat. Would probably be a bit of a safer bet though I suppose. Will just wait and see what pops up I guess. And yeah swirls are cheap as chips.

Where is the best place to get line from? Probably just good rubber stuff. BNT etc?

Yeah pretty sure BNT has line ... My fabricator did all mine so he supplied it all. Just dont buy it from supercheet or ripco. Its marked up to the 9s

Sweet.

So, am I right in saying I will need to run 2 pumps? One in tank to the swirl pot and one from swirl pot to fuel rail? Am I also right in saying that I could use a fairly average pump from tank to pot and a grunty one from pot to motor?

Just build a tank from ally sheet/ baffle it/ have welded, rock badarse '70s enduro racer, chicks, woot!

I built one years ago (had it tigged) 2mm ally sheet, cut, fold, weld, all good. Use isolated (butynol) SS straps for support.

If it's baffled well you prolly wont need a surge tank, maybe, perhaps etc.

E: this is what I plan on doing.

Edited by westy

Sweet.

So, am I right in saying I will need to run 2 pumps? One in tank to the swirl pot and one from swirl pot to fuel rail? Am I also right in saying that I could use a fairly average pump from tank to pot and a grunty one from pot to motor?

Pre-facelift needs two pumps if your running a surge tank .. For a race car you need baffling or a surge setup as pre-fl tanks only have a pickup in them.

Facelift has an intank pump already however its a high pressure pump so its not really appropriete to supply a surge tank. You really need a high volume low pressure pump/accumulator. Mine cost around $100.

You could use a intank walbro. Im not really too well informed on how the pickup system would work with an intank.

Westy: Yeah, thats what I'm going to be doing. Have one coming tommorow hopefully, was too cheap to pass up :D. Cost me less than the alloy required to make it all up.

Josh: Have ordered a Bosch 044, also because it was cheaper than a Holley red. Where did you get your tank>surge pot pump from? Is it external? Been looking for something basic for it, otherwise was going to just get another 044 or a 550 Walbro or similar.

Also. car is now back together and running. New plugs etc, should hopefully get another few laps out of it yet. Still pulls all right, just has f**k all oil pressure (around 40 psi). In saying that, the oil in it is way too thin and has thinned out even more. Will try a cheap gloopy thick oil and see what happens before next friday.

Josh: Have ordered a Bosch 044, also because it was cheaper than a Holley red. Where did you get your tank>surge pot pump from? Is it external? Been looking for something basic for it, otherwise was going to just get another 044 or a 550 Walbro or similar.

Surge tank links are in the ones I posted earlier.

Yes its external. Get your lazy ass over for a look.

RE: accumulator pump, trying to find out .. texted fabricator .. no reply yet .. um you need a high volume low pressure pump ... not sure if a high pressure low volume pump is a good idea straight into a surge tank (basically I have no idea if it will work or not)

With oil, stick to a 10w40 for the m20 and its age, even the new castrol 25w50 edge sport. If you want longevity of the oil for racing use redline products .. just get the right weight for how many k's the rotating mass has done.

PS my 10w60 edge sport is still as goldern as the day I put it in :)

Hi Ashkan, don't know if it helps or not, but, I run a 20 lt ali fuel tank in the boot, feeding a swirl pot with a standard high pressure bmw pump, via a filter, then from the swirl pot to the engine with another standard bmw pump. The return comes back to the swirl pot from the fuel rail, and the overflow from the swirl pot goes back to the tank.

Been running for almost 2 years now with no problems, after I fitted the filter. The pumps jam up easy if you don't use a filter before the first pump. Only use standard fuel hoses, nothing fancy, and cost around $400 all up.

Josh- Been trying to, you obviously have a new number. Text me it, 0211272738.

Dave- Exactly what I wanted to know, thanks for that. Are you able to run rubber hose instead of the factory steel hose under the car? Maybe with a skid plate or similar?

Josh- Been trying to, you obviously have a new number.

ohh yeah .... opps :D

Stage 2 begins now.

Have been talking to Ray re: new m20 build. Will update as I progress. For now here are some pics.

Still need another pump and swirl pot. And lines. Then I will cut the spare tyre well out and fab some brackets up with straps to hold the new tank in. Should also be able to save a bit more weight with this new system.

Note also the shape of the tank. There are also some baffles that I need to make/put into the tank before I do anything else. The top two will just be blocked off. mmmm AN fittings.

Am also currently on the hunt for a new radiator and oil cooler.

post-1246-1290672300.jpg

post-1246-1290672368.jpg

Good to see your project evolving, and also good to see metallic bedsheets again :D

Looks the same as mine, I use one of the top fittings as my return from the swirl pot, also have no baffles in it, just some foam. Mine's a 20lt, but I've replaced the top filler fitting, the plastic one kept jamming, so I fitted a steel one, much better.

Looks the same as mine, I use one of the top fittings as my return from the swirl pot, also have no baffles in it, just some foam. Mine's a 20lt, but I've replaced the top filler fitting, the plastic one kept jamming, so I fitted a steel one, much better.

Works well too.... when you put fuel in it - aye Dave :D

Yeah thought I would do the same with the return line now I think about it. And yeah you are right ,the plastic one seems pretty useless. May even run a filler tube into the factory hole if I get bored.

Here is also my new speedo and how i finally got my brake lights to work ala skyline brake switch :)

post-1246-1290680930.jpg

post-1246-1290680975.jpg

Update.

Building an M20 2.8 stroker at the moment thanks to Ray.

Have pulled a head off an e34 thanks to Mike at Synthe, and will be getting rebuilt tommorow hopefully. Have spent a sh*t tonne of money on replacing every single gasket/seal/bush so hopefully this motor will be bullet proof.

Anywho, made me a ghetto surge tank, should be good for atleast 2 litres which should be plenty, started wiring up the lifter pump and then ran out of crimps so ditched. Got a little side tracked so decided i would fit me a NACA duct. Did so, looked cool, wasted about half an hour of time I should have spent on other more important things, I will run 3 inch ducting to the driver's seat... it is just way too hot!

I also measured up fuel lines and have started ordering AN fittings to get the drop tank and surge tank all working. Don't have any pics of them, battery went flat.

I then had a play with the throttle body on the M20. It looks pretty damn restrictive, is there anything else that will fit it? Was looking into boring it out a bit with a bigger butterfly or similar, a bolt on option would be better though.

Had a quick play with the new E36 radiator, looks like it should pretty much go straight in, might need to fab a few brackets up but nothing major. Looks the bees knees though!

post-1246-1295342664.jpg

post-1246-1295342681.jpg

post-1246-1295342693.jpg

post-1246-1295342707.jpg

post-1246-1295342717.jpg

post-1246-1295342734.jpg

post-1246-1295342846.jpg

Should add, will be stripping the engine bay and cutting all the un neccassary brackets off it, repainting it if I can be bothered.

Also need a G260 Gbox.

And any info on some better more badass injectors would be cool. Am going to send the current ones away for a flow test, would rather upgrade though. Any suggestions?

Edited by Indecorous