Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simon*

Why are VW clutches so crap?

No... Audi, just to be accurate. VW ceased being VW when it started using Audi drive components

A3 chassis or Golf, keep forgetting. Meh its a VW Audi Porsche Seat made in the 3rd world for peanuts.

If we are going to be like that- VW stopped being VW when Porsche took ownership :rolleyes:

I will let you guys know when I cook my new VW's clutch once its remapped with OCT tuning software. :P

Czech Republic isn't really third world. Based on wheelbase, I'd say the Octavia (its a wagon) is based off a Passat.

Its funny - engine/driveline clearly same. Corners cut everywhere else:

- Interior plastics nasty compared to VW and in particular Audi

- only 1 interior light!

- no hydraulic stays for bonnet - you use a rod

- sound deadening not that flash

I could go on. However, it's fit for purpose (carting stuff around, not too expensive) and it's fast.

Guest Simon*

Czech Republic isn't really third world. Based on wheelbase, I'd say the Octavia (its a wagon) is based off a Passat.

Doug and I test drove the Octavia Scout (4WD, plastic wheelflares ala Allroad) and although we agreed it had plenty of toys it was very plasticcy, but it had exactly the same centre console bits as the Mk5 Golf. Aircon, radio, controls etc all identical.

- only 1 interior light!

- no hydraulic stays for bonnet - you use a rod

- sound deadening not that flash

I could go on. However, it's fit for purpose (carting stuff around, not too expensive) and it's fast.

and its 10 000 cheaper than a vw....

Common around 100k. They also break clutch levers inside the rear gearbox housing. Weve done heaps and you normaly have to do the flywheel. Quite a crazy set up really, the crankshaft spins the clutch cover.

What would a average clutch in an average car last?

I have had clutches only last 30,000km, would think 100,000km is reasonable, it’s a wearing part after all.

What would a average clutch in an average car last?

It really depends on the individual driver

You can ruin a clutch in a minute.. and I've known cars to get over 200,000 Km out of a clutch

Personal dissabilities can cause premature clutch failures... back problems, age, etc etc

Short people also tend to wear out clutches quicker as well.... because they have to lift their whole leg, and this means their leg gets lazy and slips the clutch more in heavy stop , start traffic

We had a customer who was deaf and we did his clutch about every 4-6 months because he couldnt hear how high the engine revs were (company car too)