Sign in to follow this  
Shady

Removing Speedo Cluster

How do I remove the Speedo Cluster from my '88 E30? I have removed the 2 small screws in the top of the plastic that surrounds it, but I just cant get it to pop off - unless I break it! Is there any more screws to remove or am I just not pulling it in the right spot to pop some clips or something? :unsure:

And then after removing the surround, is there anything I need to do to remove the speedo, or will it just pop out? I want to remove speedo so I can change the bulbs, so anyone know which bulbs I need eg #s or something. I want to replace them from Red to White.

Its a peicapiss. That bit of trim above the steering wheel below the cluster is attached with thumbscrews from behind. There are 2 plugs at the back of the cluster, pry the locking clips off them with a flathead if you cant reach with your fingers then the plugs just pull out. Those 2 things are the only bits that might trip you up.

How do I remove the Speedo Cluster from my '88 E30? I have removed the 2 small screws in the top of the plastic that surrounds it, but I just cant get it to pop off - unless I break it! Is there any more screws to remove or am I just not pulling it in the right spot to pop some clips or something? :unsure:

And then after removing the surround, is there anything I need to do to remove the speedo, or will it just pop out? I want to remove speedo so I can change the bulbs, so anyone know which bulbs I need eg #s or something. I want to replace them from Red to White.

Can I recommend buying a manual (a Haynes or a Bentley) half these threads you have made are easy things to search/ read up on. Just my 2c

Anybody know where to buy a Manual specific for the E30s? I see them in repco etc but their prices are rediculous & they also are for the 5series...What the?! <_< Is there ANY just for E30 3SERIES? Dont wanna buy a manual, start doing some work & find out Im reading instructions for a different BMW!?

Anybody got one they can sell me?

Edited by Shady

Bentleys are generally better than Haynes. Last one i bought for my motorcycle I got for $5 off trademe. No way I'm paying $69 for a book either lol.

Bentley

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-235201488.htm

Haynes

Any good book store will have it.

You get what you pay for, or if you don't want to pay for one, you should be able to download a pdf of the haynes manual for sure if you search it in google.

Thats the one Im after...but wow! $170? :mellow: I bought a book for my Probe & it was $70...might try find that guy & see what he can do. Cheers :)

It's about half that price from Amazon.com.

Worth every cent. The first time you DIY something properly without having to go to the mechanic it's already paid for itself. It's saved me thousands of dollars over the years - really.