Sign in to follow this  
JaydenNZ

1994 318i

Hi,

I have a 1994 BMW 318i Automatic Single Cam one i think. Just wondering how much km's i should get out of $50 i'm asking this as $50 only gets me 200km which sounds kinda dare. I recently bought this couple months ago it came with a after market exhaust tip and a pod filter if thats interfering. If you need to know anything more or can help that would be a big help. Thanks

This is my bmw here and what series bmw are these mags off?

Posted Image

believe it or not thats still better than my 87' auto e30. but yours is a much newer car and should be more efficent.

how hard are you driving it? those 1.8's can use more than the 2.0's if you drive them quite hard.

arnt most pod filters ment to improve fuel economy?

Various factors will depend on how many km's you get from $50 of fuel.

* Round town (stop start) or open road travel?

* How hard you push your foot down on the big pedal?

* What petrol you're using, 91, 95, 98?

As for the alloys, im not totally sure but have seen them on various 5 series before. Dont quote me on that thou.

you got the wrong wheels for your car mate.

have you done a full service - inspection 2?

that should somewhat see an improvement

When I did plugs, oil, filter ect (service)

noticed it uses a bit less fuel... the plugs were shagged though.

I done a service about 2 months ago when i bought it which included 3 New Belts "all except cam belt", Spark Plugs, Oil & Filter. And new radiator recently

cause old owner glued cracks on tank and a hose and it blew going up mountain which steam started pouring out :angry::-( I Use 95 for petrol and it is

around town use so bit of start an stopping but doesn't make much difference on open road and for some reason if i fill the car right up

there is quite a bad smell of petrol which last a while. There is another problem when i come to a stop sum times it shunts forward a little for sum reason.

Think i should of checked car out before buying. bout for $1500 spent nearly $1000 on it. Last owner never gave it a oil change i don't think cause it was really

black and gunky in the top of the engine still is a bit after a flush and change. If that would have something to do with it.

is it just me or does "quite bad petrol smell" make the alarm bells go ding ding ding!

and as for 50 bucks, well it depends on how much the fuel costs where you fill!

ATM i think petrol is $1.68 i usually put $50 as soon as petrol light comes on which makes it just go over the 30Litre mark on the gauge

and fill up again when the light comes on which gets me like exactly 200km each time

Yeah i should of got a mechanic to check car over first before buying it was a repo owner still owed $4000 never smelt the petrol before hand because

i only filled it up once.

$1500 car - thats a good deal

I wouldn't fill it right up full with petrol if there is a smell that lasts and I would really get that checked out real soon.

Get someone with BMW experience to check it out and get a scan done at the same time.

I put 20 bucks in which is about 10-11 litres and im geting about 90 kms. city driving.

yours gets better than mine Louis, always has. my e30 320i 200km is costing me 30-40$ round town.. but chch never has bad traffic, and i drive like a Nana. if i put my foot down though i can watch the fuel disappear. but for your 318i, the fuel doesn't sound too bad.. but i think as everyone says check out the fuel smell when on a full tank.

[edit] i use 98 or 95.. but my local only has 98 so usualy that

Edited by brockie123

Is that alot ? i thought it was pretty sh*t i always compared it to my heavier 318 e46 which i get about 130ish kms.city driving.

I have a 1994 BMW 318i Automatic Single Cam one i think. Just wondering how much km's i should get out of $50 i'm asking this as $50 only gets me 200km which sounds kinda dare. I recently bought this couple months ago it came with a after market exhaust tip and a pod filter if thats interfering. If you need to know anything more or can help that would be a big help. Thanks

3rd form maths my friend:

$50 @ $1.68/L = 29.76 litres (using someone's post of current 95 octane petrol price)

A modern 318i uses 8.50L/100km in town, 5.20L/100km out of town (source: Google, who else?).

Average these two values and you get 6.85L/100km

Lets calc the km you'll achieve using these 3 fuel consumption figures:

29.76L @ 8.50L/100km = 350km

29.76L @ 6.85L/100km = 434km

29.76L @ 5.20L/100km = 572km

If your values deviate hugely from these then either

a) you leak fuel

B) you sit in traffic jams a lot

c) you have a heavy right foot

PS: compare my 2008 VW 2.0L common-rail diesel uses 6.9L/100km (measured long-term over the last 30,000km)